Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Dark Knight Rises (Nolan)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 08-27-08, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From an article in Variety:

When it comes to Batman, the future of the franchise is in Christopher Nolan's hands. That's what a successful reboot with "Batman Begins" and breaking records with "The Dark Knight" will do.

There's a deal for the director to helm a third pic, but he has yet to decide on whether to tackle it yet.

"We have no idea where Chris is going with this," Horn says. "We haven't had any conversations with him about it."
http://www.aceshowbiz.com/news/view/00017906.html

Recent words coming from the possible follow-up of "Batman" movie stated that everything about "Batman 3" depends on director Christopher Nolan. Hence, though Warner Bros. Pictures and Legendary Pictures are keen to move on, they have to wait for Nolan's decision, especially since he has yet to sign in for this next Batman project.

In the recent Hollywood Reporter article discussing in details about "The Dark Knight", that fact is exposed through producer Chuck Roven's remarks. "There are a lot of us who emotionally would love to do it," Roven confessed. "But it's really Chris' call. Chris is the kind of filmmaker who just doesn't think about the next movie before he has completely finished the movie he is working on."

Furthermore, noting that Nolan is taking a vacation, he stated that everything concerning the third movie of the series that was begun with "Batman Begins" will be unraveled following Nolan's return. "When he comes back, we will see how he feels," explained the film producer.

Following the massive success of "Dark Knight" on retaining the second slot of highest grossing movie of all time with $490.6 million nationwide, speculations about the possible sequel has been streaming in, especially from the possible casting of the villains. Earlier, it has been rumored that singer Cher has been considered to be depicting Catwoman, while Johnny Depp is eyed to be The Riddler.

Last edited by Mountain Biker; 08-27-08 at 10:49 PM.
Old 08-27-08, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
They will make it. That's all I know. Everything else is speculation, and incredibly off-base to boot.

Cher as Catwoman?
Old 08-27-08, 04:16 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 888 Likes on 751 Posts
already being discussed in depth...
Batman 3's Joker...
Batman 3's villians...
and at the end of...
Dark Knight Reviews...

Last edited by OldBoy; 08-27-08 at 04:22 PM.
Old 08-27-08, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
It makes sense to have one basic thread for all sequel discussion, since it's spilled over to the Dark Knight thread among others.
Old 08-28-08, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 215 Likes on 154 Posts
I'd thnk Bale, Caine, and Oldman are a must...hopefully WB does the right thing and throws bags of money at em. Nolan can probably write his own check and have total control, I don't think he'd want to pass that up. (or he should at least demand that if it isn't offered up front)

Any other storyline titles that they could potentially use? Naming these Batman movies has got to be kinda challenging now that we're on the seventh one...
Old 08-28-08, 05:14 AM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by scott1598
already being discussed in depth...
Batman 3's Joker...
Batman 3's villians...
and at the end of...
Dark Knight Reviews...
Originally Posted by fumanstan
It makes sense to have one basic thread for all sequel discussion, since it's spilled over to the Dark Knight thread among others.
In view of earlier adverse feedback about multiple Batman-related threads, and to facilitate focussed discussion here, while the regular Movie Talk mods are asleep I've just closed the first two of those threads, each of which had been lying fallow for a few weeks already.
Old 08-28-08, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

http://www.aceshowbiz.com/news/view/00017852.html

Angelina Jolie may get a competition for the Catwoman role in "Batman 3" as Cher is reported to be in negotiations for the part. Though the "Wanted (2008)" star has been linked to the feline villain for quite sometime now, latest report from British's Telegraph indicates that director Christopher Nolan prefers to give the part to the pop singer/actress instead.

According to the publication, the 62-year-old Cher has become Nolan's prime choice for the character whose alter ego is known as Selina Kyle. "Cher is Nolan's first choice to play Catwoman. He wants to her to portray her like a vamp in her twilight years," claimed a studio executive. "The new Catwoman will be the absolute opposite of Michelle Pfeiffer and Halle Berry's purring creations."

Though Cher started off her stardom through music business, she is also praised for her acting performances earning her an Academy Award for 1987 "Moonstruck". Her latest feature film credits include 1999 "Tea With Mussolini" in which she played Elsa Morganthal Strauss-Armistan and 2003 "Stuck on You" where she appears as herself.

"Batman 3", the sequel to the record-breaking "The Dark Knight", is said to be temporarily entitled "The Caped Crusade". The filming is scheduled to begin in Vancouver early 2009 and may get Johnny Depp as The Riddler
Old 08-28-08, 02:23 PM

Now THAT is funny.
Old 08-28-08, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Bullcrap!
Old 08-28-08, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Never happen. Despite the proclamation of ACESHOWBIZ.com
Old 08-28-08, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 306 Likes on 209 Posts
i can't believe that link has "news" in the path.
Old 09-04-08, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No chance of Two-Face coming back.
Old 09-04-08, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by NoirFan
That's good. I think The Dark Knight will truly stand alone. Without Heath Ledger and Aaron Eckhart, another one will be hard to top. (Though I did think Liam Neeson was pretty badass in Begins)
Old 09-05-08, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
That's good. I think The Dark Knight will truly stand alone. Without Heath Ledger and Aaron Eckhart, another one will be hard to top. (Though I did think Liam Neeson was pretty badass in Begins)
It probably is the case, and I almost prefer he stays dead... but I trust that statement from Eckhart as far as i can throw Harry Knowles. It could be the truth, it could be him bullshitting. It could be him telling the truth but the notoriously-secret Nolan bullshitting HIM. Just not buying it on faith, is all...

-Doc
Old 09-05-08, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts
So what are the chances of them skipping ahead 30 years, and having Daniel Day-Lewis as Bruce Wayne and Cher as Catwoman .
Old 09-05-08, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by RichC2
So what are the chances of them skipping ahead 30 years, and having Daniel Day-Lewis as Bruce Wayne and Cher as Catwoman .
Probably about the same as Chris Nolan making Batman & Robin 2.
Old 09-08-08, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

From MTV article here:
In an interview with MTV News, Michael Caine seemed to confirm rumors that the next installment of the “Batman” film franchise will feature two very well-known names playing the roles of The Riddler and the Bumbershoot Bandit, The Penguin. “They’ve already got them in mind,” said Caine, when asked who he’d like to see take up arms against the Caped Crusader. “It’s Johnny Depp as The Riddler. And The Penguin is Philip Seymour Hoffman. I read it in the paper.”

So Caine is like the rest of us, reading gossip in the tabloids, right? Except for one thing…according to the actor, he confirmed the news through the studio itself.

“When Christopher [Nolan] said we were going to do ‘The Dark Knight’ next, I didn’t what that meant in Batman terms,” related Caine, who plays Bruce Wayne’s loyal butler, Alfred Pennyworth. “I said, ‘What’s the story?’ and he said The Joker. I said, ‘Oh, s–t! How are you going to top Jack [Nicholson]?’ He said, ‘Well, I’ve cast Heath Ledger. And I went ‘Ha! I couldn’t top Jack, but if anyone could, maybe Heath could.’ And he did.

“I was with [a Warner Bros.] executive and I said, ‘Are we going to make another one?’ They said yeah. I said, ‘How the hell are we going to top Heath? And he says ‘I’ll tell you how you top Heath — Johnny Depp as The Riddler and Philip Seymour Hoffman as The Penguin.’ I said, ‘S–t, they’ve done it again!’”
If that's true about Hoffman, that would be fantastic. Hopefully Caine isn't just talking out of his ass.
Old 09-08-08, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
He's spitting back what he's heard on the internet already, which just makes it a confirmation of a rumor. Nolan hasn't even started writing a new script yet, so how will they have started casting already?
Old 09-08-08, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't think Johnny Depp should play the Riddler. Heath's performance was very Johnny Depp-like. They should get an actor with a different type of acting style. Philip Seymour Hoffman would likely be channeling his character from Punch Drunk Love. I'd like to see Bill the Butcher in a riddler suit barking orders at Batman. But that's just me.
Old 09-08-08, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Philip Seymour Hoffman would likely be channeling his character from Punch Drunk Love.
Or The Talented Mr. Ripley. A snide, urbane, chubby playboy. Perfect.
Old 09-08-08, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'll tell you one thing... Phillip Seymour Hoffman as the Penguin and Depp as the Riddler... in the next Batman film, is just about the only way I'm going to be any where near as excited for it as I was The Dark Knight...

I think it would be a great move on WB's part. They know that they have to do some big things to top the nearly flawess TDK.
Old 09-08-08, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Location: Rainy ass Seattle yes the weather sucks here, so do our sports teams.
Originally Posted by FinkPish
He's spitting back what he's heard on the internet already, which just makes it a confirmation of a rumor. Nolan hasn't even started writing a new script yet, so how will they have started casting already?
But you KNOW WB executives, and probably Nolan are always thinking ahead, you never know whats being discussed in the depths of WB offices, and what Nolan has up his sleeve.

I don't know how you can top the Dark Knight, but I would love to see.
Old 09-08-08, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

In Hollywood, movies are casted and sometimes even shot before a script has been written.
Old 09-08-08, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts
In Hollywood, movies are casted and sometimes even shot before a script has been written.
How can you shoot a movie before the script has been written? More likely they shoot before a script is finished.

And the past tense of "cast" is "cast". There is no such word as "casted."
Old 09-08-08, 09:14 PM

If Nolan decides to do another one with the Riddler and Penguin, he's not going with Depp or Hoffman. Come on now. Especially since this rumor is getting out of hand. It's even got Michael Caine fueling it? He'll pick someone out of leftfield like he did with Ledger in TDK and Bale with Begins.

Personally I think Nolan should not do a sequel. Topping TDK is just not bloody likely. But that's just me.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.