Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Stores with best/worst electronics return policies?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-12, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 331 Likes on 250 Posts

Been having a problem with my Vizio TV which I bought directly from the company, and since I have the warranty they may give me the option of cash instead of a replacement TV, in which case I'll go shopping for something better.

With the way stores are set up lately, it's almost impossible to tell if a TV is going to work the way you want it to until you bring it home. While I'll do all I can to make sure I'm getting what I want before making the purchase, I want to make sure I can return it within 30 days if I find anything unacceptable with it. I plan on buying from a local retailer so they will be close by if I have any problems; having bought my Vizio from the company which is about 8 hours away from me, it's been a nightmare communicating with them.

Also do any retailers have decent repair service these days? I was appalled at the people sent by my warranty company to fix my Vizio, they looked like they were from fly-by-night outfits and knew very little about what they were doing. (Circuit City's people were like that too- they actually ruined a TV I had about 15 years ago, which is why I wasn't the least bit sad when they went under!)

Finally- one of my requirements is that the TV be able to display unconverted PAL signals. Has anyone brought in their own DVD player to a store to try on their TVs and been given crap about doing that?
Old 04-09-12, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Stores with best/worst electronics return policies?

Best Buy is 30 days, no restocking fee.
Old 04-09-12, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

I believe Sears is also 30 days, no restock fee (assuming you still have the packaging the TV came in, otherwise it's 15%).
Old 04-09-12, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

Costco gives you 90 days, plus they extend the manufacturers warranty for an additional year.
Old 08-29-12, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
Costco gives you 90 days, plus they extend the manufacturers warranty for an additional year.
Question, if I buy a TV with my Costco Amex does that extend the warranty to 4 years since they double it?
Old 09-05-12, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 449 Likes on 307 Posts

You'll have to check the terms of the benefits from your credit card issuer. Most credit card extended warranties only extend the original manufacturer's warranty, and usually only if the warranty is one year or less (though I've seen some that will if the manufacturer's warranty is up to 3 years). They will not extend additional warranties provided by, say, Costco, or other 3rd party warranties.