Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Anime Talk
Reload this Page >

Bobobo-Bo Bo-Bobo subtitles missing?

Anime Talk Discuss Anime on DVD & Blu-Ray, CGI animations, Manga and other cool stuff from Japan!

Old 04-05-12, 11:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got the first S'more Entertainment set today, but, unless I'm being stupid, the subtitles appear to be missing. Neither in menu nor manually selectable. The packaging and their website does say there should be subs. Shame, I'd been looking forward to it. Might have to put up with the dub this time.
Old 04-05-12, 11:59 AM
WTK
Anime Talk Contributor / Moderator

Received 521 Likes on 458 Posts
Re: Bobobo-Bo Bo-Bobo subtitles missing?

Really? I wonder what happened.
Old 04-09-12, 01:29 PM
WTK

via Mania.com forums
Originally Posted by GasshuBeru
I just got the boxset from Amazon this morning, and I'm sorry to report that the subtitles are indeed absent. Not on the menu, not selectable by remote, and not viewable when selecting Japanese audio. All four discs are like this! I even analyzed disc one with my computer just to be sure; zip, zilch, nada. However, the whole package is superb. The dics come in two regular DVD cases housed inside a lighty matte-finished slipbox.

I sent an email to S'more and posted on their Facebook page. I'll let you guys know when they respond!
EDIT: LINK
Originally Posted by GasshuBeru
Sorry to double-post, but I've got an extra bit of odd news; the discs will not bootup again. I thought it may have been my PS3 suddenly going wonky, but other discs are playing fine. Seems there are other authoring issues afoot....

Last edited by WTK; 04-09-12 at 01:54 PM.
Old 04-11-12, 01:37 PM
WTK

via S'more Ent. Facebook page
Offering our apoplogies....there was no intent to mis-lead the fans. There was a mis-communication internally and even though at least 10 people proofed the packaging, the fact the packaging incorrectly said 'sub-titled' was missed by everyone, incluiding byTOEI. As best as I understand, the series was only available in Japanese language or dubbed into English, it was never sub-titled. Galaxy Express 999 will only be available in Japense or sub-titlerd as they never did an English language version (according to TOEI)
Old 04-11-12, 11:09 PM
WTK

via ANN
S'More Ent. Acknowledges Bobobo-Bo Bo-Bobo Packaging Error
posted on 2012-04-11 23:48 EDT

ANN has received confirmation from S'more Entertainment that the packaging for its home video release of Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo mistakenly indicates that it contains an English-language subtitle track. While both Japanese and English language audio tracks are available on the release, Amy Schorr, President of S'more Entertainment stated:

"The episodes were never available in a sub-titled format and neither TOEI [nor] S'more could justify the cost of creating new versions of the series. DVD sales have plummeted to the point where most companies wouldn't be willing to commit the money needed for packaging [and] authoring, but we felt the series was important enough to justify any risk."

Schorr also said that "It wasn't our intention to mislead anyone and I'm hopeful the fans will embrace the series and appreciate the effort that [went into] creating these packages."
Old 04-12-12, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WTK
Offering our apoplogies....there was no intent to mis-lead the fans. There was a mis-communication internally and even though at least 10 people proofed the packaging, the fact the packaging incorrectly said 'sub-titled' was missed by everyone, incluiding byTOEI. As best as I understand, the series was only available in Japanese language or dubbed into English, it was never sub-titled. Galaxy Express 999 will only be available in Japense or sub-titlerd as they never did an English language version (according to TOEI)
So many "un-necessary" hyphens...