Reload this Page >

Beware the Batman.

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Beware the Batman.

Old 03-30-12, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 209 Likes on 159 Posts
Beware the Batman.

Yesterday, Cartoon Network announced a slew of new shows including a new CG-animated series from Warner Bros. Animation, Beware the Batman. Here's the official description of the show, slated to hit the airwaves later this year:

A cool, new take on the classic Dark Knight franchise, Beware the Batman incorporates Batman’s core characters with a rogues gallery of new villains not previously seen in animated form. Along with backup from ex-secret agent Alfred and lethal swordstress Katana, the Dark Knight faces the twisted machinations of Gotham City’s criminal underworld led by the likes of Anarky, Professor Pyg, Mister Toad and Magpie. Produced by Warner Bros. Animation, this action-packed detective thriller deftly redefines what we have come to know as a “Batman show.”

Featuring cutting-edge CGI visuals to match the intricate twists and turns of the narrative, Batman steps out of the shadows and into the spotlight for an entirely new generation of fans. With WBA’s Sam Register executive producing, and Batman Beyond’s Glen Murakami and Scooby-Doo! Mystery Incorporated’s Mitch Watson producing, Beware the Batman, based on characters from DC Comics, is coming soon to Cartoon Network!

http://www.dccomics.com/blog/2012/03...are-the-batman
Old 03-30-12, 03:58 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Beware the Batman.

Ex-secret agent Alfred

Anarky and Professor Pyg are cool. Pyg sounds like a goofy character, but he is really pretty sadistic.

Magpie though... seriously? Unless there is some Magpie I am not aware of, the only Magpie I can think of is the one that John Byrne created for his Man of Steel miniseries, and she was a really crappy character and no other writer has even bothered using her. Magpie doesn't even rank as a D-list villain.
Old 03-30-12, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Even in the old series Alfred served the royal services before working for the Waynes. Just seems they are calling more attention to it now. He'll probably still be the loyal butler but more fieldwork for Batman.

I'm all for more villians as long as they still have the classics. Makes Joker episodes more special since he doens't show up ever other ep.
Old 03-30-12, 07:25 PM
Banned

Alfred is a war veteran having served as a combat medic, which is where he got all the experience and know-how to patch up Bruce when he always comes home battered to pieces. I don't recall any origin where Alfred was a secret agent though. That's Peter Parker's parents actually. The Parkers were CIA agents.
Old 03-30-12, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,352 Likes on 917 Posts

Awesome
Old 03-30-12, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don't know about in the comics, but in Batman: The Animated Series there was an episode that revealed Alfred as a former MI-6 agent.
Old 03-31-12, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,734 Likes on 1,083 Posts

Cgi? I hope its not the cartoony shit like in the new Green Lantern series.
Old 03-31-12, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,126 Likes on 887 Posts

I don't know about this. I understand they try to aim for kids with these series more but the last couple Batman cartoons (The Batman, Batman: The Brave and the Bold) have been pretty lame and this one kind of feels like it won't be a lot better. Batman: The Animated Series was great in that it was a show that kids could enjoy but it wasn't so childish that an adult couldn't watch it either. I'll just stick to the animated features that DC has been putting out through the Warner Premier line.
Old 03-31-12, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Cgi? I hope its not the cartoony shit like in the new Green Lantern series.
Why bother with CGI? They need to just go all out and have a half hour Batman show that's nothing but a black screen. You know, because it's so dark and whatnot. Or maybe just go all the way and make him actually be Death itself.
Old 03-31-12, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 780 Likes on 654 Posts

This is clearly Batman for a new generation, with few obvious ties to previous Batman mythology or even the comic books. I've seen some of the artwork for the show and the designs are kind of strange.

It looks much more like an idea that was designed to be an original creation and the network decided it would sell better if Batman's name was attached to it.
Old 04-04-12, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,867 Likes on 1,444 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
I don't know about this. I understand they try to aim for kids with these series more but the last couple Batman cartoons (The Batman, Batman: The Brave and the Bold) have been pretty lame and this one kind of feels like it won't be a lot better. Batman: The Animated Series was great in that it was a show that kids could enjoy but it wasn't so childish that an adult couldn't watch it either. I'll just stick to the animated features that DC has been putting out through the Warner Premier line.
Wait, you hated the Brave and the Bold? I thought that struck an excellent compromise between action that kids could watch and grown up superhero fandom. Not the same as the Timmverse stuff, but great in it's own right.

Magpie was mentioned in one of those Superman/Batman animated movies, I forget which one, but they reference her death.
Old 04-04-12, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fujishig
Wait, you hated the Brave and the Bold? I thought that struck an excellent compromise between action that kids could watch and grown up superhero fandom. Not the same as the Timmverse stuff, but great in it's own right.

Magpie was mentioned in one of those Superman/Batman animated movies, I forget which one, but they reference her death.
Meh..I didn't care for the animation style for one thing. I also wasn't a big fan of the guest hero of the week type thing that was in a lot of the episodes that I've seen. Overall it just came across too childish, maybe if I had a kid of my own to watch it with or something I could see watching it, but watching it on my own as an adult I feel sorta silly I guess.
Old 04-04-12, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 209 Likes on 159 Posts

ECCC12: 20 Years of "Batman: The Animated Series"

While "Batman: The Animated Series" has long since concluded, the love for the show is still going strong, as evident by the few hundred fans that packed the room last Saturday at Emerald City Comicon for a mini-reunion featuring some of the show's cast and creators.

On hand were series producer Bruce Timm, writer Alan Burnett, Tara Strong, who voiced Batgirl (as well as Harley Quinn in "Arkham City") and Kevin Conroy -- for many, the defining voice of Batman -- who spoke to the crowd in his unmistakable voice, after they loudly welcome him to Seattle.

"I love you, too," said the man who has been playing Batman for 20 years.

That was just a warm-up for the man behind the iconic Bat-voice, who over the course of an hour gave the audience a taste of his older, "cranky" Batman from "Batman Beyond," a blues-singing Batman, and a playfully ad-libbed in-character bit between Batman and Harley Quinn delivered by Conroy and Strong.

Burnett and Timm started the conversation, telling the origins of how they pitched and developed the noir cartoon that was unlike anything else when it debuted. Then Conroy and Strong talked about how they landed their respective roles.

Conroy explained that getting the role was "a very lucky break" since he had never voiced animation prior to the audition. Even going into the audition, Conroy said he was imagining the character in a more '60s-Adam West direction, but after talking to the producers, he had a better handle on Bruce Wayne as a tragic and pained Hamlet-type character.

Strong had been performing in animation since she was 13 and was thrilled about her chance to be part of the Bat-mythology, professing she collected Batgirl memorabilia growing up in Toronto. She also mentioned the thrill of working alongside Conroy and Mark Hamill, who fate had almost skipped over for the role of the animated Joker.

Timm explained how the Joker role originally went to Tim Curry, who recorded several episodes. "We realized that he wasn't quite what we wanted," Timm said, adding that his laugh never quite fit their vision.

The series, and Kevin Conroy's depiction of Batman, have an enduring legacy.

A couple months later, they auditioned for a new Joker, and Hamill owned it immediately.

"From the minute he opened it out, it was like -- bang -- no one was even close," said Timm.

Kevin Conroy talked about his favorite episode, "Perchance to Dream," where Bruce Wayne struggles with reality. Conroy enjoyed the challenge of playing so many parts in a single episode.

Strong talked about the pressure of honoring Arleen Sorkin, whom she had worked alongside on "Batman," when she took over the mantle of Harley Quinn in "Arkham City," and Conroy talked about how nervous he initially was working with Adam West in "Beware the Gray Ghost."

A fan complimented Conroy on the subtleties of his jaded, older Bruce Wayne from "Batman Beyond" and asked if Conroy had been approached for the role in a "Dark Knight Returns" animated movie.

Conroy and Strong, both acted surprised about news of an animated take on Frank Miller's classic, looking down the panel at Bruce Timm for clues.

"No one's told me anything," Conroy added.

"Well, that makes me incredibly angry," said the fan.

"Well, it should," said Conroy playfully, with the crowd obviously agreement.

After being asked about the "Justice League" episode where Batman sings "This Little Piggy," Kevin Conroy crooned for the crowd who ate it up.

One of the final questions gave a tiny sample of just how far ahead of the curve "Batman: The Animated Series: was when Timm explained they wanted to do an episode featuring the character Nocturna.

"She wasn't a vampire in the comics, but we liked the idea of Batman and vampires," Timm said. "At the time FOX didn't like idea," noting that the now-ubiquitous nature of bloodsuckers in pop-culture.

It hard to believe it's been twenty years since this show first aired. It's one of my all time favorite series.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=37968
Old 04-04-12, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
This is clearly Batman for a new generation, with few obvious ties to previous Batman mythology or even the comic books. I've seen some of the artwork for the show and the designs are kind of strange.

It looks much more like an idea that was designed to be an original creation and the network decided it would sell better if Batman's name was attached to it.
You mean it's not a "true batman" cartoon? Screw it!
Old 04-04-12, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk God

what would you know? you aren't even a true fan.
Old 04-04-12, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Not sure if the last two posts are supposed to be directed at me however I never said anything about The Batman or Batman: The Brave and the Bold not being true Batman. I simply said they came off as too childish for me personally, whereas Batman: The Animated Series has a wider appeal in my opinion at least because it was friendly enough for kids to watch yet it wasn't overly childish so an adult wouldn't enjoy it as well.
Old 04-04-12, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 780 Likes on 654 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
Not sure if the last two posts are supposed to be directed at me however I never said anything about The Batman or Batman: The Brave and the Bold not being true Batman. I simply said they came off as too childish for me personally, whereas Batman: The Animated Series has a wider appeal in my opinion at least because it was friendly enough for kids to watch yet it wasn't overly childish so an adult wouldn't enjoy it as well.
Don't worry, it's a jab at me for a comment I made in another thread on the new Spider-Man movie.

It's interesting that Timm wanted to include vampires on Batman: TAS and Fox said no. He got away with so many adult themes in the show that Fox bulking at vampires seems funny.
Old 04-04-12, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk God

Actually mine had nothing to do with either of you.
Old 04-05-12, 12:03 AM
Banned

They're poking fun at me from what I have been saying in the Spider-man topic in the movie forum.

Actually the cartoons could work into DC's multiverse. DC has a pretty complicated multiverse where the Golden Age comics are on one Earth, Silver Age on a different Earth, Post-COIE on yet another Earth, etc.

Also the movies and animated series are considered different Earths as well. Even Adam West fits into the multiverse...

A "true fan" would know all that...
Old 04-09-12, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979
Ex-secret agent Alfred

Anarky and Professor Pyg are cool. Pyg sounds like a goofy character, but he is really pretty sadistic.

Magpie though... seriously? Unless there is some Magpie I am not aware of, the only Magpie I can think of is the one that John Byrne created for his Man of Steel miniseries, and she was a really crappy character and no other writer has even bothered using her. Magpie doesn't even rank as a D-list villain.
I had one Batman comic with Magpie in it...what a retarded villain. She was a diamond thief I believe.
Old 04-09-12, 12:33 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Tarantino
I had one Batman comic with Magpie in it...what a retarded villain. She was a diamond thief I believe.
Batman #401

Magpie was introduced in John Byrne's Man of Steel miniseries, and then she was used in Batman #401 a month or two later. Then she never appeared again for 20 years until Infinite Crisis in which she was promptly killed off during the One Year Later arc.

Old 04-18-12, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Teaser

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/sjWvKmLa5VA?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 04-18-12, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

^^^^
Looks cool.
Old 04-18-12, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk God

looks very similar in style to the GL cartoon on right now.
Old 04-18-12, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Kevin Conroy wont be voicing Batman?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.