Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Streaming Talk
Reload this Page >

Streaming Devices - What Do You Use?

Streaming Talk The Place to talk about streaming video and audio

Old 03-12-12, 04:50 PM

Received 503 Likes on 364 Posts

I'm currently using 3 boxes for streaming. Roku 2XS, AppleTV 2 and the Boxee Box. Each does a couple things really well that the other boxes are lacking.

ROKU 2XS - I use this mostly for Netflix, Hulu+, Amazon and Crunchyroll. Love the Instant Watch app which is great for browsing the entire Netflix streaming catalog. Unfortunately, it's missing Youtube and doesn't stream files from the computer.

APPLETV 2 - I use this for Youtube, Podcasts and Airplay streaming from my iPad. It does a good job streaming from my computer using iTunes. But the video formats are fairly limited. I got tired of converting everything to MP4, so I went looking for another box.

BOXEE BOX - I use this for streaming files from my computer. I bought it primarily for this purpose, and it does a great job. Plays everything I've thrown at it so far. And I love the way all my files are organized with artwork and info (although that took some work). On the downside, the box seems a little glitchy. Apps frequently crash and the box sometimes slows to a crawl requiring a reboot. And the remote needs a major overhaul.

I've also got the 360 and PS3, which got me started on streaming with Netflix. But I haven't been using their streaming features much now that I've got dedicated boxes.

Anyways, what are you using? What do you like about it, and what do you hate?
Old 03-12-12, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts
Re: Streaming Devices - What Do You Use?

I have Directv, but as far as my TV streaming goes, I use

Xbox 360 (my bedroom TV)

Roku and Sony Blu-Ray (Upstairs TV)

The Sony Blu-Ray player streams Netflix, Hulu Plus and Amazon Instant Video.

Hulu Plus for me acts as a 3rd DVR when I have time conflicts. I occasionally purchase some stuff on Amazon Instant Video.
Old 03-12-12, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Xbox 360 (Netflix), a laptop hooked up to the TV (for when I want to watch Hulu), and an Insignia blu-ray (netflix). I had a roku, but the connection on it was very unstable. I'd like to try one again eventually.
Old 03-12-12, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts

Roku is very unstable for me. Last week I tried to watch an episode of The River from Hulu (had a DVR conflict) and the playback was really choppy and the remote wouldn't work to exit. Then the machine flat out froze. I had to unplug it and re-boot.
Old 03-12-12, 06:11 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

^I've been having that problem with my Roku as well. For me, it only happens in the Netflix app. It's very frustrating.

I have a bunch of devices capable of streaming, but since I got the Roku, I've barely used my PS3 or 360 to stream.

I also use my phone and computers to stream music via Spotify.
Old 03-12-12, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

For me, I always had to go into the settings and test or reset the connection before I could start using it. I wouldn't have to reenter any info, but would have to do that step. I would have been fine with that, I guess, but teaching the family a workaround like that is more pain than it is worth.
Old 03-12-12, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Just my Wii and 360 for my Netflix streaming.
Old 03-12-12, 07:02 PM

Those people that are having problems with the Roku, are you using a wired or wireless connection?

I use a wired connection. The only channel that gave me video playback problems was Amazon. It would buffer during the movie. There were two things that solved this. Either a fresh reboot before watching Amazon. Or I would start the movie and pause it right away for a few minutes to let the buffer fill-up.

I sometimes have a problem with the Roku if I'm screwing around too much. Lots of backing in and out, fast forwarding and rewinding. Especially on private channels. It can cause the box to get sluggish and often freeze-up requiring a reboot.

I really wish there was a way to reboot or turn off the Roku from the remote.
Old 03-12-12, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 219 Likes on 175 Posts

I mostly just use the Roku 2, whatever the high-end model is. I also have a Samsung blu-ray player and the PS3 that streams, but I never use them, unless the Roku is giving me grief.
Old 03-12-12, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts

Samsung BD for Netflix
Sprint HTC Evo phone for Pandora, etc
Laptop to tv for Hulu
Integra DTR 50.2 receiver for internet music
Kindle Fire for Amazon streaming and Netflix

Last edited by tommyp007; 11-15-12 at 12:29 PM.
Old 03-12-12, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have the latest HD Roku 2 box, the XS maybe. We have that in our bedroom and use it every night for Netflix, Amazon streaming, and of course HBOGo. In the living room on the main TV I have a Panasonic 3D TV with Viera Cast that we use to watch Netflix and Amazon streaming. I also have a PS3 on the same TV that I sometimes use to stream Netflix, and I also use that to stream video files from my laptop.

Then when I'm out and about (or in the bathroom) I use my iPhone 4 and then also my HP Touchpad for what will actually work on it (not Netflix unfortunately).
Old 03-12-12, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I use a WDTV Live with a LAN connection. I typically use it for Netflix or listen to Pandora; as I don't watch much TV, I have no need for Hulu. I would like it if they included Amazon Video, however.
Old 03-13-12, 03:24 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,748 Likes on 1,093 Posts

Xbox 360 mostly.
Old 03-13-12, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

Uebo M400
Logitech Revue (Google TV) w/ Plex
Old 03-13-12, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

PS3 for Netflix. It's rock solid and I love having the remote.
Old 03-13-12, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
I'm currently using 3 boxes for streaming. Roku 2XS, AppleTV 2 and the Boxee Box. Each does a couple things really well that the other boxes are lacking.

ROKU 2XS - I use this mostly for Netflix, Hulu+, Amazon and Crunchyroll. Love the Instant Watch app which is great for browsing the entire Netflix streaming catalog. Unfortunately, it's missing Youtube and doesn't stream files from the computer.

APPLETV 2 - I use this for Youtube, Podcasts and Airplay streaming from my iPad. It does a good job streaming from my computer using iTunes. But the video formats are fairly limited. I got tired of converting everything to MP4, so I went looking for another box.

BOXEE BOX - I use this for streaming files from my computer. I bought it primarily for this purpose, and it does a great job. Plays everything I've thrown at it so far. And I love the way all my files are organized with artwork and info (although that took some work). On the downside, the box seems a little glitchy. Apps frequently crash and the box sometimes slows to a crawl requiring a reboot. And the remote needs a major overhaul.

I've also got the 360 and PS3, which got me started on streaming with Netflix. But I haven't been using their streaming features much now that I've got dedicated boxes.

Anyways, what are you using? What do you like about it, and what do you hate?
This is pretty much me. Boxee is great for all my files. Netflix is on everything. Roku for Amazon.
Old 03-13-12, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

PS3, Xbox 360 and iPad.
Old 03-13-12, 01:52 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

PS3 for Netflix, and I use my HTPC pretty regularly to use Hulu, YouTube, etc.

I did try out using my Kindle Fire to watch (of all things) Transformers 3 just to see how it performed. Worked rather well.
Old 03-13-12, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We just picked up a Sony Media Player from Costco. I didn't have high expectations but I'm impressed with it for being a cheap little unit that also offers wifi connection. Watched a bunch of flicks over the weekend with no issues. Watched Rubber earlier today and currently watching We Are the Night and it's been working flawlessly.
Old 03-13-12, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Roku XDS and XBox 360 for me.

Primarily use the Roku...use the XBox for apps not available on the Roku or for those rare times when the Roku app is having issues.
Old 03-13-12, 04:20 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 889 Likes on 752 Posts

Netflix:
Sony Bravia TV
XBOX 360
Old 03-13-12, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On main TV:
PS3
Logitech Revue
Soon to be ATV 3

On bedroom TV:
Sony Bluray with streaming apps
ATV 2

Each one of these has their positives and negatives. I like the PS3 it plays just about everything when paired with Playon software. I like the Revue because it is always instant on and has good netflix and amazon playback it is easy to search and navigate with the full keyboard.

I like the ATV because it plays all the music and videos that I have in itunes and also does netflix very well it is close to instant on which is also nice.

As far as content: I wish Apple/Studios would lower prices on digital versions of movies, ~$20 for a high def movie just doesnt make sense to me nor does renting at ~$3-$5 very often. I have a netflix account and a redbox just down the street that makes getting new releases pretty easy. I do like Amazon's frequent sales and have rented movies more frequently from them, the amazon video prime library mostly stinks. I hope in the long term the prices go down just like music files did, I think $2 HD rentals make a lot more sense I probably would not buy a movie again, I rarely watch any movie even my favorites more than a few times.
Old 03-13-12, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Netflix - PS3, iPad 3, HTPC
Spotify - iPad 3, Galaxy Nexus, HTPC
YouTube - iPad 3, Galaxy Nexus, HTPC
Hulu - HTPC
Old 03-13-12, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Can you use AirPlay to stream HBO Go?
Old 03-13-12, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by Goat3001
Can you use AirPlay to stream HBO Go?
I wasn't able to do it using the iPad to AppleTV2. If I remember correctly, HBOGo even blocked the mirroring.

The Comcast Xfinity app carries most of the HBO shows. They block Airplay too, but the mirroring worked. Unfortunately, the iPad screen is 4:3. So when you mirror it to your TV, it's like watching a non-anamorphic DVD with black bars.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.