Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The 1st Annual DVDTalk Action/Adventure/Crime Challenge - March 1st - 31st, 2012

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The 1st Annual DVDTalk Action/Adventure/Crime Challenge - March 1st - 31st, 2012

Old 02-15-12, 03:32 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 670 Likes on 448 Posts

1st Annual DVDTalk Action/Adventure/Crime/Mystery Challenge

Dates: Dusk on February 28th to dawn on April 1st (What you watch from midnight on March 30th to dawn on April 1st could also count for the annual April B-Movie/Exploitation Challenge, so plan your choices accordingly if desired.) (What you watch from dusk on February 28th to dawn on March 1st can also count in the Quadrennial Leap Day Time Travel Challenge, so plan your choices accordingly if desired.)

Rules: Sorta like all the other Challenges but as lenient as you can imagine. Everything counts as one; film, TV episode, short. Unofficial goal of hitting 100, but don't ignore real life to hit it. Everyone who shows up in either thread is an equal "winner". Anything listed on IMDB with a genre of action, adventure, crime, or mystery (or anything that even vaguely could be argued as should be listed as such) counts.

Checklist is officified, see post #83.

Prizes: We have at least three prizes here, thanks to our consistently generous Challenge sponsor, Hamilton Books. Two prizes go to the most creative lists, as chosen by votes; and one prize goes to a random participant.

This is the discussion thread. Discuss.

Last edited by Trevor; 03-13-12 at 04:20 PM.
Old 02-15-12, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts
Re: The 1st Annual DVDTalk Action/Adventure/Crime Challenge, March 1st - 31st

Looking forward to it.
Old 02-15-12, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 162 Likes on 120 Posts
Re: The 1st Annual DVDTalk Action/Adventure/Crime Challenge - March 1st - 31st, 2012

Can't wait.
Old 02-15-12, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 987 Likes on 818 Posts
Re: The 1st Annual DVDTalk Action/Adventure/Crime Challenge - March 1st - 31st, 2012

I can resume the Buffy journey I started for the TV challenge!
Old 02-15-12, 04:41 PM

Pretty much all of the past discussion about an Action/Adventure Challenge from the Challenge Compendium thread is spoilered below for OCD posterity.
Spoiler:

Originally Posted by indy2003
I'm pretty new to the forum; have browsed the bargains section at times but didn't actually get involved until I was told about the challenges by a friend. Anyway, just wanted to say that I immensely enjoyed participating in the Historical challenge last month and I'm looking forward watching lots of cool stuff for Sci-Fi/Fantasy month, too.

Anyway, I just wanted to echo the thoughts of those who have suggested comedy and crime challenges. The latter in particular would cover a lot of stuff that doesn't really seem to be covered by most of the current challenges. Just wanted to throw that out there. Cheers!
Originally Posted by Trevor
Welcome!

Yeah, my story is similar. Mainly just lurked the bargain forum until I found a Challenge. Only then I did I start to feel like this was a community where each of us could contribute and make the place better as a whole.

I think we're getting close to Challenge overload, but would like to somehow see the missing genres covered. Maybe crime could be lumped with action/adventure. Also think maybe Comedy would be a good complement for the partial month November Holiday Challenge. I'm not going to push either though.
Moved these from the Criterion Challenge thread.

I don't plan to put much thought into it until Jan 1st, but feel free to go ahead with your ideas!

I think Action films lend themselves very well to marathon viewing. Am personally looking forward to doing a all-the-Bond-films marathon and a Noir boxset perhaps.

I'll have the 100 count goal, but shorts and TV shows are worth the same as a 4 hour epic film.

Lots of potential for checklist items I think.
Originally Posted by MinLShaw
Wait, what? Won't this conflict with the Academy Awards Challenge? That's one of my favorites, 'cause there's a nice structure to it, and the buildup to the awards themselves helps give it a payoff the other challenges don't have.

Also, I tend to go on my Bond kicks around this time of year (I'm on one now, as a matter of fact!). By February, I've generally gotten it out of my system.
Yep. But there are only 12 months, and every other non-conflicting month is booked.

While I doubt we'll ever have two Challenges covering the same entire month, no Challenge has "control" of a month, let alone two or three months.

The Holiday Challenge, my favorite, covers parts of three months, but we already have other Challenges to share it's November and January incursions.

The Academy Awards Challenge, my favorite, is always going to have random dates, even covering part of January once iirc.

While I'd love to have separations between every Challenge, there are going to be at least 12 of them, and with Academy spanning two months, we're going to have to share.
Originally Posted by MinLShaw
Wait...isn't March still open? I can't think of anything between Academy Awards and B-Movie/Exploitation/Drive-In.
Oscar night changes all the time, from November to May, although it has been consistently February or March since 1988. So our Academy Awards Challenge always covers two different months.

I see that this coming year it ends in February again, so we'll do Action/Adventure in March. February will be "open" for a potential different genre.
Originally Posted by shadokitty
Just curious. Since February is a short month, when should we look for the Action/Adventure thread being posted?
Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
Who's even running it?

I also see talk of a Dramedy that was going to run in February.
Originally Posted by cardsfan111
I don't think either of these ever got off the ground. They were discussed in 2010 (if not before) and no one ran with it.
Originally Posted by davidh777
I do remember talk of Action/Adventure. Dramedy seems on the narrow side.
Action/Adventure is listed on the table on the OP as a Challenge in March
I nominate shadokitty to run it since they brought it up
If no one else steps up, I would be willing to run it.
Originally Posted by Dimension X
I thought that one was Trevor's baby (but I'm sure he'll gladly put it up for adoption).
It's no problem, I'll gladly bow out in favor of Trevor, don't know if I really have the time to run a challenge anyways. I thought it was Trevor running it too, I was just thrown off by the nomination and people saying it never got off the ground.
I think Dramedy was casually mentioned as a way to combine Comedy and Drama into one month and have every major genre covered by a Challenge. But then the Comedy Challenge happened, and was awesome, so I think Drama will remain left out. Most of them can be shoehorned into at least one of the other Challenges I imagine.

I planned to start the Action/Adventure/(Crime?/Noir?/Mystery?) thread next week, but feel free to chime in your thoughts on it here, especially on the title.
Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
I would love a crime/noir/contemporary action challenge. Adventure opens it up to pirates, swashbucklers, Tarzan and jungle movies, treasure hunts, kung fu, and lots of genres covered in either the B-movie or Historical Challenges. If it was just crime (including spy, mystery, caper and police) and noir, that would be manageable without encroaching on too many other challenges. Action/Adventure would leave out a lot of police/crime/noir/mystery films that don't traffic in action. For instance, most of Bogart's films would fit into a Crime/noir challenge, but not an action/adventure challenge. A crime/noir challenge on the other hand would allow for a good quotient of DIE HARD/LETHAL WEAPON-type action films, because of the police angle, and many Seagal/Van Damme films, while keeping out RAMBO/EXPENDABLES-type films and supernatural blockbusters like LORD OF THE RINGS et al.

Whaddaya think?
Dramedy makes sense as an either/or, but I agree it's not really needed with a comedy challenge on the books.

I like the angle of Action/Adventure/Crime. Noir would have a lot of overlap with crime, and mystery seems a little too wide.
I like the idea of Action/Adventure/Crime as well.
So true! 90+% of my DVD watching the past couple of years has been Challenge-influenced.

And thanks for mentioning the Pink Panther films. I've been meaning to break out my big pink boxset for years, thought I'd do it for the Comedy Challenge but was too busy, so thanks for reminding me that they'd fit next month too.

So about the Action/Adventure/Crime Challenge, time for me to throw together a sad thread opening.

Any checklist ideas?
Since you have 3 genres, I imagine it could get pretty large.
Off the top of my head:

Watch a film from each of the following subgenres:
Film Noir
Mystery
Urban cop thriller
Modern Caper/heist
Depression-era crime (Dillinger, Bonnie & Clyde, etc.)
Globe-trotting adventure (Americans overseas)
Treasure hunt adventure
Swashbuckler
Jungle movie (including Tarzan)
Hong Kong crime
Japanese Yakuza
Italian Crime
Conspiracy thriller
Spy/Espionage
Serial Killer

Watch a film by at least five of these directors:
Raoul Walsh
Howard Hawks
John Ford
Anthony Mann
Don Siegel
Robert Aldrich
Sam Fuller
John Sturges
Jean-Pierre Melville
Akira Kurosawa
Kinji Fukasaku
Chang Cheh
Sammo Hung
Takeshi Kitano
John Woo
Walter Hill

Watch a film from at least five of these stars:
Errol Flynn
John Wayne
Humphrey Bogart
Burt Lancaster
Kirk Douglas
Steve McQueen
Charles Bronson
James Coburn
Toshiro Mifune
Clint Eastwood
Chuck Norris
Bruce Lee
Jackie Chan
Sammo Hung
Steven Seagal
Jean-Claude Van Damme 
Jason Statham
Bruce Willis

I concentrated on older material because I think the rest of you can fill in the newer stuff.
I'm sorry but an action challenge that doesn't have Arnold or Stallone in the list of actors is simply unacceptable
Those would be your contributions to the checklist.
Hard to find ideas that aren't already a core subgenre of the sci-fi/fantasy or historical challenge (e.g., superhero)

Sword 'n' sandals
Whodunit (or locked-room mystery)
Period war
Bank/Armored Car Robbery
MIA rescue
Takes place in jungle
Gangsta
Safari
Lost tribes
Cannibals
Military
Lost treasure
Framed
Serial killer
Prohibition
Crooked Cop(s)
Contains a training, or other type of video montage
Vigilante (solo type character. The Punisher, Death Wish type)
Citizens fight back (average group of citizens that can't fight solo but as a group are able to strike back)
Fighting robots
Wars in the future
I got into icheckmovies.com for about a day, and quickly realized that it could have sucked away my entire life. I went cold turkey and pray that I never get sucked back in.

Some great ideas on the checklist people! I'm leaning towards making it a fairly small checklist as Challenges go. While I want it to be a bit difficult to complete, and make people broaden their horizons; my overall feeling is that this Challenge should be somewhat light and fluffy.
I'd take out crime if you wanted to make it light. Three genres doesn't make any challenge light. Crime alone adds in another dimension to the challenge. That throws in noir, a bunch of mysteries, and other elements that aren't necessarily action or adventure.

I'd rather have it be a Crime Challenge since I'm working my way through a noir list when I'm not doing challenges but I get the feeling more people would rather have Action/Adventure.
I more meant "light" as to the "rules". Easy numbering, easier checklist than most Challenges, etc (?).
Actually I plan to use the icheckmovies lists to coincide with the challenges. For example, I imagine a lot of the movies on the top 250 list are also eligible for the Academy Award Challenge going on right now, and I spotted a list for Action movies and a list for Adventure movies for your upcoming challenge. Speaking of which, how is the thread coming?
Questions about the upcoming action/crime challenge:

Are crime/action TV shows eligible? E.g. "Police Story." Or a 1970s modern-day Japanese martial arts series called "Fight, Dragon"? Or swordplay series like Zatoichi and Lone Wolf and Cub.

Also, how about documentaries about crime figures, e.g. Depression-era bandits (Dillinger), old west outlaws (Jesse James) and lawmen (Wyatt Earp), gangsta' rappers, etc.?
Yes to all.
Question about the upcoming action/adventure challenge. I am thinking of starting to make my list of movies to watch for it. If IMDB or Allrovi have the movie or tv series listed as action or adventure under one of the tags of the movie, it would be eligible, right?
That's correct
What if it's a senior citizen action/adventure show like Murder She Wrote or Matlock? It'd be a lot more actiony if the stars were younger but they do what they can, given the limitations of age.
Well, if it's a crime challenge, those certainly fit. But what will the challenge actually be officially called? And where's the discussion thread for it?
Originally Posted by Dimension X
I thought it was going to be an "Action/Adventure/Crime Challenge."

It's already been a week. I can't wait to see what you've "thrown together."
Yeah, my guess is there isn't a ton of action going on for Matlock and Jessica Fletcher but then again I don't watch those shows. It's kinda like most of those British mysteries would count as crime but probably not action.
Can't wait to see this 'sad' thread. I bet it looks pretty good.
Ok, I'll give myself a deadline. I'll have it up by Friday night.

But it will be quite sad looking. Something like this perhaps:

1st Annual DVDTalk Action/Adventure/Crime Challenge

Rules: Sorta like all the other Challenges but as lenient as possible. Everything counts as one; film, TV episode, short. Unofficial goal of hitting 100, but don't ignore real life to hit it. Anything listed on IMDB with a genre of action, adventure, or crime counts (or anything that even vaguely could be argued as should be listed as such) counts.

List thread here (link pending)

Checklist pending.

This is the discussion thread. Discuss.
If work is slow this week I'll try to add some cool pics like the other Challenges. Or if anyone else wants to help by designing the logo and/or first post pic/pics, please do.
I've already made my list of movies and tv series to watch. It's amazing how when going through your collection how much you have that counts as action or adventure that you never thought of before.
So you can probably double dip on March 31 and watch a B Movie Action or Adventure Movie to fit in both challenges.
You're all right. Cut and pasted and started the thread. 1st annual DVDTalk Action/Adventure/Crime Challenge
Old 02-15-12, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

And Game of Thrones is coming out on March 6!
Old 02-15-12, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wow. Great recap. You went a lot further back with that previous discussion than I would've.

Since I have more Bond commentaries left to listen to than I can possibly get to in a month, I'll ask - Will commentaries count? Either way, I'll still have plenty to listen to for the 3rd Annual May Make Your Own Challenge (coming soon).
Old 02-15-12, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've been watching noirs all month and I get to keep on trucking next month
Old 02-15-12, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Warner Gangsters sets 2 through 4 here I come!
Old 02-16-12, 06:29 AM

Yes, commentaries will count. In fact, in keeping with my 'easy theme', feel free to count any special feature. Disc has the film, two commentaries, trailer, teaser, 2 minute fluff making-of featurette, and a cartoon? Watch them all and your count is 7.

Of course, you're welcome to count only films, or to use the numbering formula of any other Challenge.

Don't worry if your month of 100 hours of epic length adventure films nets you a count of 40, but someone else watches 50 hours of Popeye cartoons and has a count of 250. It's not about the numbers.
Old 02-16-12, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Nice to see the challenge starts at dusk. It means I can actually start on the 29th, as I have to go to bed early on the 29th due to a Dentist appt on the first.
Old 02-16-12, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yes, commentaries will count.
Thanks. I might get an early start on my MYOC challenge then, after I watch the Dirty Harry films (watching Starsky & Hutch during the TV Challenge made me want to watch Magnum Force again).
Old 02-16-12, 08:55 AM

I've been jonesing to watch the Dirty Harry films for years. Haven't seen them since their original releases in the theaters and maybe on VHS iirc. All my DVDs are boxed in storage, so this is the year of the Blu-ray for me. Have 600 or so of them, a large percentage of them qualifying for next month I'm sure.
Old 02-16-12, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Being a little drained from watching oscar caliber movies, I am ready to start watching a little action/adventure already, so I am breaking into my MASK collection tonight and watching disc 1.
Old 02-16-12, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 210 Posts

If any entertainment format was built for action/adventure, it was the cliffhanger, so I'm guessing that serials from the '30s and '40s are eligible, e.g. Flash Gordon, Buck Rogers, The Green Hornet, Batman, Superman, Captain Marvel, etc., right?

Also live-action giant robot/superhero shows from Japan, e.g. Ultraman, Kamen Rider, Super Robot Red Baron, and the various Power Rangers franchises, right?
Old 02-16-12, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good deal. Thinking I'm gonna do this one, but may only make it 10 new titles for me. Will be cool to check out some popular action/adventure/crime flicks I've never seen. Heck, maybe I'll wrap up the LOTR trilogy.
Old 02-16-12, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If any entertainment format was built for action/adventure, it was the cliffhanger, so I'm guessing that serials from the '30s and '40s are eligible, e.g. Flash Gordon, Buck Rogers, The Green Hornet, Batman, Superman, Captain Marvel, etc., right?

Also live-action giant robot/superhero shows from Japan, e.g. Ultraman, Kamen Rider, Super Robot Red Baron, and the various Power Rangers franchises, right?
I know when I looked on IMDB, Ultraman and Super Robot Red Baron were listed as eligible. Also certain animes are also eligible.
Old 02-17-12, 03:43 AM

I could be wrong, but I think this may be the Challenge with the most eligible titles. Looking through my BD shelves I swear that 90% of them fit.
Old 02-17-12, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I could be wrong, but I think this may be the Challenge with the most eligible titles. Looking through my BD shelves I swear that 90% of them fit.
I know when I was looking through my DVD collection and checking on IMDB and allmovie, I have over 105 titles between movies, and tv series that qualify for this challenge.
Old 02-17-12, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 114 Likes on 80 Posts

I can't resist this. Looks like it's time to revisit my 42nd Street Forever discs; I think I might have one or two I haven't watched yet, too. If I'm judging correctly, I'll be able to count the discs and every trailer that fits the genre specs. Heh.
Old 02-17-12, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I'm sure that's the case for my BD collection, since both my tastes and the format skew that direction. TV probably has more entries when you break it down by episode, though (of course, a lot of my TV qualifies for this too so maybe not!).

Last edited by davidh777; 02-17-12 at 09:53 AM.
Old 02-17-12, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 210 Posts

I know when I was looking through my DVD collection and checking on IMDB and allmovie, I have over 105 titles between movies, and tv series that qualify for this challenge.
Multiply that by 10 or 20 and that would come closer to my total. The problem is not finding stuff to watch for these challenges, but prioritizing what to watch.

(And that's just what's visible on my shelves. I have hundreds more eligible titles packed up and put in closets.)

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 02-17-12 at 02:33 PM.
Old 02-17-12, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Multiply that by 10 or 20 and that would come closer to my total. The problem is not finding stuff to watch for these challenges, but prioritizing what to watch.
Agreed. I was browsing my unwatched Netflix queue last night and there were tons of title that fit into this. Really difficult for me to narrow it down.
Old 02-21-12, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

It might be too late for the Oscars challenge, but just in time for crime: The Godfather Trilogy BD is $25 as today's DOTD
Old 02-21-12, 12:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Someone needs to come up with a website devoted exclusively to the "challenge" concept. Millions to be made.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.