Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Hot Deals
Reload this Page >

is this a legit link for an EW sub for $10/yr?

Hot Deals Post and Discuss Non-DVD Bargains and Sales!

Old 02-17-12, 09:39 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 399 Likes on 248 Posts

https://subscription.ew.com/storefro...l?link=1002215

I googled "$10 Entertainment Weekly" and the above website link popped up. I tried going in thru www.ew.com and clicking "subscribe" but am not being offered the same price.
Old 02-17-12, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts
Re: is this a legit link for an EW sub for $10/yr?

I went ahead and tried it. All the links go to the same place as the ones from the EW website. This form also has the option for bill me later while the all of the ones I've encountered only have credit card with autorenewing.

EDIT: Just got the order confirmation email.

Last edited by emachine12; 02-17-12 at 12:53 PM.
Old 02-17-12, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 323 Likes on 241 Posts

It's legit...my current subscription is under this deal.
Old 02-17-12, 06:22 PM

Received 503 Likes on 364 Posts

How hard is it to cancel the autorenewal? Can you do it anytime or do you need to cancel the whole subscription?
Old 02-17-12, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 442 Likes on 301 Posts

I just used that link last month to renew my subscription. I entered my address and e-mail exactly as it was on my then-current subscription, and it was successfully associated with my subscription to renew it.

For the autorenewal, I used the tool that my credit card issuer provides to generate a disposable credit card number with a charge limit and expiration date two months from now. The terms of the EW offer say that if they can't automatically charge your payment method (which they won't be able to for me), then they'll send you a bill, which is exactly what I want.

Even if you do forget about the auto-renew, IIRC, EW has a refund at any time policy, so just cancel your subscription, and they'll give you a prorated refund for the remainder of your unused subscription.
Old 02-18-12, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Todd B.
... For the autorenewal, I used the tool that my credit card issuer provides to generate a disposable credit card number with a charge limit and expiration date two months from now...
Do you use American Express?
Old 02-19-12, 05:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Citibank, although yes, I believe Amex has a tool like that also.
Old 02-23-12, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 323 Likes on 241 Posts

The terms also say that EW will notify you of the renewal rate before renewing it, giving you chance to cancel if you want. Thanks to Coke Rewards, I'm subscribed to EW through 2017, so it's not something I'm currently worried about.
Old 02-25-12, 11:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just used that link last month to renew my subscription. I entered my address and e-mail exactly as it was on my then-current subscription, and it was successfully associated with my subscription to renew it.

For the autorenewal, I used the tool that my credit card issuer provides to generate a disposable credit card number with a charge limit and expiration date two months from now. The terms of the EW offer say that if they can't automatically charge your payment method (which they won't be able to for me), then they'll send you a bill, which is exactly what I want.

Even if you do forget about the auto-renew, IIRC, EW has a refund at any time policy, so just cancel your subscription, and they'll give you a prorated refund for the remainder of your unused subscription.
Could one just sign up for this $10 deal and then call up after you receive the first issue and tell them to cancel the autorenewal so you don't forget later?
Old 02-25-12, 02:53 PM
g
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts

I believe you may be able to cancel online in your account on ew.com. Thats how it worked for sports illustrated if the autorenewal is from the magazine and not an agent.
Old 02-27-12, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by N8 Storm
Could one just sign up for this $10 deal and then call up after you receive the first issue and tell them to cancel the autorenewal so you don't forget later?
I logged into my account online, and it said the following:

Thank you for your payment. This subscription is part of our subscribers' automatic renewal program. As part of this program, as you agreed, your subscription will be renewed automatically at the low subscriber rate then in effect at the end of its current term. It will continue uninterrupted so you never miss an issue, unless you tell us to stop. One month before each renewal period starts, we'll notify you by mail of your new subscription period, its price and your savings. You will be billed or charged as your next renewal period begins. We'll never bill you or charge your credit/debit card without informing you first, and you always have the option of canceling this automatic renewal program at any time. As always, if you are not completely satisfied, you may cancel your subscription at any time by contacting customer service and receive a refund for all unserved issues. If you have further questions, please e-mail a customer service representative.

# of Issues: 52
Your Price: $10.00
There was no option or buttons to make any changes, but based on the wording above, it sounds like you could send a message to Customer Service and ask to be removed from the "automatic renewal program".

Based on the $10 figure there, it also sounds like it might auto-renew at $10 next year (assuming that the $10 price is still being offered then).
Old 02-28-12, 12:10 AM

I logged into my account online, and it said the following:

There was no option or buttons to make any changes, but based on the wording above, it sounds like you could send a message to Customer Service and ask to be removed from the "automatic renewal program".

Based on the $10 figure there, it also sounds like it might auto-renew at $10 next year (assuming that the $10 price is still being offered then).
When I did mine there was a box to check auto renewal, also the renewal rate won't be $10 but rather the going rate at that time.
Old 03-24-12, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

This link is still good. Just did this and checked my subscription. It showed up immediately with the new expiration date. Will have to remember not to auto-renew.. that's the only hassle... small worry when compared with getting all those issues for only $10. Thanks OP.
Old 07-07-12, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm under this deal for my current sub until Feb 2014 but the debit card I used is no more. ?? When should I tell them?
Old 12-12-12, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So, after using the link in the OP earlier this year for 1 year at $10, I received a postcard in the mail this week reminding me that my subscription would be auto-renewed in a couple weeks. However, the auto-renew price was going to be $29.97.

I used the link in the OP (which still works), and put in my information for a new 1 year subscription for $10. I used all the same exact mailing information as on the label for my subscription. After completing the order, I went to the Customer Service link at ew.com, and entered my account number, and it already correctly reflected the 1 year renewal, extending my subscription from Feb. 2013 to Feb. 2014.
Old 12-17-12, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I believe I used this link when I subscribed almost a year ago, but when I look at EE's customer service page, surprisingly it shows my auto-renewal rate is $10/year. So I'm set!
Old 02-08-13, 03:26 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 399 Likes on 248 Posts

link in the OP still works.
Old 02-08-13, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,356 Likes on 921 Posts

yep, i used it late last year and will probably use it again soon.
Old 02-28-13, 08:56 PM

To stop automatic renewal, select customer service & log on. Click on "Cancel Your Subscription" on the left. Next screen click the "YES" (Would you like your subscription canceled at the end of your current paid period?). They can bill you up to the standard rate of $53.46 for 52 issues if they renew your subscription, it's in the fine print of the $10 deal.

It seems they have removed the $10 special offer, it's back to $25
Old 03-01-13, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Damn. Well, you can get 3 years for $50 here:

http://www.partnernewsstand.timeinc....sstand_EW.html

Hopefully something better comes around before my subscription expires next year.
Old 03-02-13, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hopefully something better comes around before my subscription expires next year.
Collect coke codes - mycokerewards.com - they offer a years subscription to Entertainment Weekly for 333 points. However for the last two years, the first week of May, you can get a years subscription for half that - 167 points. (This is part of their weekly Wednesday Deal Of The Day) This isn't just for new subscribers either as I've been doing this for the last two years and I had a subscription for four years before that. Also if you have a subscription that won't end until say August 2013 - you can do this deal and your subscription won't end until August 2014. If you have enough points to add two years to it - you can do that as well. (Last May I did just that - added two years to my subscription which now doesn't expire until May 2014.)

Last edited by LaxBandit; 03-02-13 at 08:21 PM.
Old 03-04-13, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don't drink Coke or any Coke products.
Old 03-11-13, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!

I don't drink Coke or any Coke products.
They also make Minute Maid Orange Juice and Juices in individual boxes and large Pink Lemonade / Fruit Punch under the Fuze brand which give points.

Don't leave out PowerAde as well.
Old 03-22-14, 05:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

FYI, I found this still-working link this year, and used it to successfully renew my subscription for $10.

https://subscription.ew.com/storefro...dmapr2011.html

As before, I filled in my information exactly as it is on my subscription label, and within a couple minutes of submitting my order, I was able to log in to the customer subscription management area of ew.com and confirm that my renewal was already recognized.
Old 03-22-14, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,027 Likes on 4,115 Posts

Yeah, that site worked almost instantly for me too. Thanks

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.