Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Does the USPS no longer leaves packages at the door?

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 02-11-12, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 158 Likes on 120 Posts

For some strange reason Amazon ships S&S items via USPS and I've never had a problem with that, hell never even knew about it since it's at my door when I get home and I never look at the shipping label. This past week though I was expecting 3 S&S orders and they never came, so I checked the tracking and they were sent USPS and since like most people I work during the day they didn't deliver them and they were ate the post office. Apparently the Post Master General isn't allowing packages to be left anymore because a a string of missing packages.

Question is is this a local thing or a new national rule? If it's national I wonder how long it will be until Amazon stops using USPS for S&S?

On a side note, if you've ever been to the Post Office on a Saturday morning you know it to be one of the worst places to be in the world and there is some life sucking force at work there.
Old 02-11-12, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Does the USPS no longer leaves packages at the door?

If it's a national policy, it's news to me. Our mail carrier is still leaving packages on the doorstep. In fact, my wife just got one yesterday.
Old 02-11-12, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The Post Master General isn't going to make a local rule. I find it really hard to believe they'd make a rule like that without it being picked up by anyone. I think it's more of the post office just being the post office.

2 weeks ago I had some packages say they were delivered. A couple on a Friday and one on Saturday but they didn't come. They all ended up coming on Monday. That's your post office at work. I didn't know they were marked delivered until I looked at their statuses Monday, otherwise I probably would have been freaking out, thinking they were stolen.
Old 02-11-12, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm getting my poster tubes at the door like always.

If this was just something you heard at the local branch, it could be a rogue employee. One particularely bitchy employee told me a few weeks back that it was their new rule to fill out the entire delivery confirmation receipt and not just the zip code. go to a different person and they don't care.
Old 02-11-12, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Must just be my post office flat out lying to me then. So many people picking up Amazon boxes this morning. I wonder how long this is going to last. I'd rather cancel my S&S items then have to go there every Saturday morning.
Old 02-11-12, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by MBoyd
I'm getting my poster tubes at the door like always.

If this was just something you heard at the local branch, it could be a rogue employee.
It was 2 employee's. One when I called yesterday wondering where my shit was and the other in person this morning.
Old 02-13-12, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Damn, now I have 2 packages coming, one FedEx Smartpost and the other whatever the UPS equivelent is. So it will be another Saturday morning spent at the post office.

BTW is there a worst shipping method then Smartpost? I'm not sure why companies use it, it has to be cheaper going one or the other. Worst part is that neither FedEx(UPS) or the USPS want to take responsibility when something is lost.
Old 02-13-12, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Timber
BTW is there a worst shipping method then Smartpost?
The shipping when the military takes over because you're in a military base overseas.
Old 02-13-12, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,356 Likes on 921 Posts

I rarely get packages left at my door from USPS, since they can leave it on a lock box next to my mailbox cluster, but I did get a package a few weeks ago left by them at the door. First time I can remember them doing that in years.
Old 02-14-12, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 438 Likes on 307 Posts

I hate it when Amazon ships my shit with UPS. They usually show up way late into the night, like at around 7. And when they show up earlier, they usually need a signature and I'm not home to give them one.

I love it when they ship with Ontrac - they're always early, and they never require a signature.
Old 02-14-12, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by slop101
I love it when they ship with Ontrac - they're always early, and they never require a signature.
Ontrac must be your version of Laser Ship? Whenever Amazon uses that courier service my packages are usually at my door when I walk out in the morning.

I never really paid attention to what service they used because stuff was just at my door at night when I got home.

Bad thing about USPS is that I usually go a week or 2 without checking my mail so I don't see those yellow missed delivery forms in my box right away. They should at least leave them on the door so you know right away you missed a delivery.
Old 02-20-12, 08:12 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My mail person has been doing the same thing latley, in fact he doesn't even try to deliver the items. He just puts the slip in my mail box and goes on his way. Its frustrating when I am home, and I know something is coming, to go to the mail box and see that slip that I have to the post office and pick it up.
Old 02-21-12, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Me007gold
My mail person has been doing the same thing latley, in fact he doesn't even try to deliver the items. He just puts the slip in my mail box and goes on his way. Its frustrating when I am home, and I know something is coming, to go to the mail box and see that slip that I have to the post office and pick it up.
So previously they would just drop and go?
Old 02-21-12, 11:04 AM

So previously they would just drop and go?
Yes, that or put them in the package box.
Old 02-21-12, 04:35 PM

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

OK, strange that I was reading this thread and at that exact moment I heard the doorbell ring and a knock on the door. When I went to check on it, I heard the mail truck pull away and a poster sized mailing tube was leaning against the corner next to the door. So at least some places they leave packages. Normally they are left in the parcel box with all the mailboxes but it's probably too long to fit.

Rick
Old 02-25-12, 08:04 AM

Well my complaining seemed to have worked. Came home from work yesterday and there was a box there waiting for me.
Old 02-25-12, 01:28 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 370 Likes on 251 Posts

I think alot of it has to do with where you live and who your mail person is. When my wife & I lived in an apartment complex and we weren't home, I actually preferred they didn't leave the package at our door because of the riff raff that lived in the building. There were a couple of instances where tracking revealed they'd left the package but we never got it. Turned out they left it at the wrong apartment, people these days aren't as honorable as they used to be, they would just keep it and we'd never see our stuff.

Now that we have a house, our mailman will leave it at the door if we're not home and even though it makes me paranoid from past experience, it's been OK so far (knock on wood). -kd5-
Old 02-25-12, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Our mail carrier knocks and rings our doorbell when we have a package that won't fit in our mailbox. He'll actually go out of his way to deliver something to us. Even if it'll fit and it's bad weather, he'll sometimes deliver it to our front door as he knows we sometimes have trouble getting out. Of course, I do live in a small town (under 1,000 people) and everyone knows each other. It's one of the few good things about living here.
Old 02-25-12, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

Somebody swiped a shipment that was supposedly left on my doorstep Thursday morning, but has not yet shown up. I'm leaning toward having to sign for packages now.
Old 02-25-12, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The last couple of things I've known were coming SmartPost I had sent to my office. I just hate people at work knowing my business.
Old 02-27-12, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Damn, now I have 2 packages coming, one FedEx Smartpost and the other whatever the UPS equivelent is. So it will be another Saturday morning spent at the post office.
UPS mail innovations. Only retailer that I have had use that was Bestbuy.com.

What is "S&S"? I am assuming supersaver shipping.
As to the USPS not leaving packages, it is not a national thing. Sounds like your local postmaster has put out a policy for his area, most likely due to packages going missing. I regularly receive parcels left by USPS. Only ones i get a notice on, are ones that require a signature. Very rare for those though.
Old 02-27-12, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by jjcool
UPS mail innovations. Only retailer that I have had use that was Bestbuy.com.

What is "S&S"?
Subscribe and Save.

I think Newegg uses some kind of DHL hybrid, I'm not sure. All just terrible shipping methods where no one will ever take responsibility if you don't receive your package.
Old 02-28-12, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Subscribe and Save.

I think Newegg uses some kind of DHL hybrid, I'm not sure. All just terrible shipping methods where no one will ever take responsibility if you don't receive your package.
Ahhh. Never done a subscribe and save. I imagine if the shipping is free that it goes out the same way a free super saver shipping package would go.
Think the DHL USPS bastardization is called SmartMail.
Old 03-06-12, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 699 Likes on 570 Posts

Sometimes they leave it at the door but other times they knock on the door.

If a box from Amazon is not that big they put it in the mailbox.

UPS if they come after 6pm most of the time they leave it near the door but don't knock.
Old 03-13-12, 02:54 AM
Cool New Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Never. They just leave a note to pick up the following day. It's such a hassle, but I guess it's cause I live in an apartment complex.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.