Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

"What kinda mother would leave her kid in a closet" Tyler Perry's GOOD DEEDS.

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 02-04-12, 08:21 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The trailer made me cry tears of laughter. Just the gift that keeps on givin.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orInEN7Zq_Q<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/orInEN7Zq_Q?version=3&feature=player_detailpage"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/orInEN7Zq_Q?version=3&feature=player_detailpage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>
<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/orInEN7Zq_Q?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/orInEN7Zq_Q?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
Perry and Tommy Wiseau totally gotta star In a remake of Lethal Weapon.

"Surely somebody in your family can be a caregiver to this child"

Never seen a Perry movie but WOWfuckityWOWWOWWOW is this some funny shit.

I hope no one here takes a shot for all the fades to black in this thing.
Old 02-05-12, 01:08 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: "What kinda mother would leave her kid in a closet" Tyler Perry's GOOD DEEDS.

Wow, I just saw my first Tyler Perry movie last night with a girl i'm dating. It was called Big Happy Family, and my god. Not one single funny thing throughout the whole thing. There was no story to be had. At one point a character starts saying 1800Smack-a-hoe or something like that. Who exactly watches this? I mean what demographic is it geared towards? Because I don't see the average african american kid who is into hip hop and all that stuff liking it as its very sappy and cheesy and then on the other hand if they're marketing it for the southern, bible belt crowd then well, its wayyy too raunchy. Just a horrible horrible movie experience and I'm glad we spent $1 on it at the Redbox and had Midnight In Paris as backup to cleanse the palate.
Old 02-05-12, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Re: "What kinda mother would leave her kid in a closet" Tyler Perry's GOOD DEEDS.

Who on this forum said "Tyler Perry is the black Ewe Boll"?
Old 02-05-12, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 307 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by Trout
Who on this forum said "Tyler Perry is the black Ewe Boll"?
Not me but I'll agree with that statement. However, he has likely made a lot more money than Uwe, but money doesn't mean that something is good.
Old 02-05-12, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
Not me but I'll agree with that statement. However, he has likely made a lot more money than Uwe, but money doesn't mean that something is good.
Supposedly he's worth north of $300 million. I guess SOME people must watch his shit. I'm certainly not a fan but plenty of people must be fans for some reason.
Old 02-05-12, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by whoopdido
Supposedly he's worth north of $300 million. I guess SOME people must watch his shit. I'm certainly not a fan but plenty of people must be fans for some reason.
There are a lot of people that buy Lil Wayne albums too but it doesn't really make him good. I guess it is all relative to the person themselves. I'm not saying that these people don't deserve what they get but I'm just not seeing why people believe it is quality material. At least we know crazychris88 is either a fan or involved in the production of this stuff.
Old 02-05-12, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

There are a lot of people that buy Lil Wayne albums too but it doesn't really make him good. I guess it is all relative to the person themselves. I'm not saying that these people don't deserve what they get but I'm just not seeing why people believe it is quality material. At least we know crazychris88 is either a fan or involved in the production of this stuff.
I agree. Frankly I think most of what passes as entertainment today is pure garbage but apparently I'm in the minority because tons of people must be eating this shit up to generate the staggering amount of money that so many entertainers are earning today.
Old 02-05-12, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by whoopdido
I agree. Frankly I think most of what passes as entertainment today is pure garbage but apparently I'm in the minority because tons of people must be eating this shit up to generate the staggering amount of money that so many entertainers are earning today.
I agree with this. I'll hold my opinion of what I think of the majority of people in this world.
Old 02-05-12, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

It looks like a positive movie. Might do some people good watching it who knows.

Or it could be a borefest.
Old 02-05-12, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My cinema is always packed for Tyler Perry films. The prep we're having to do for Good Deeds' opening weekend is as if we're expecting a Harry Potter opening.
Old 02-05-12, 03:37 PM
Banned

I pretty much agree with Spike lee when it comes to perry. Coonery Buffoonery. Doesnt seem to be the case with this one. This just looks like some awful Hallmark channel bullshit but I am sure the American people will eat it up/

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ciwhh3fB6vE?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ciwhh3fB6vE?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
Old 02-05-12, 03:46 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

These don't get shown in Utah. But we get locally-made Mormon films that are just as bad, if not worse.
Old 02-05-12, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The only thing Tyler Perry I've ever seen is about 20 seconds of Meet the Browns because I had forgotten the tv was on TBS. My eyes and ears haven't been the same since.

I'm sure danoly or whatever the hell is name is will be there opening day.
Old 02-05-12, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Groucho
These don't get shown in Utah. But we get locally-made Mormon films that are just as bad, if not worse.
When I was single, I used to impress Mormon girls with my knowledge of Mormon films and the fact I know Will Swenson.

Isn't the plot of every Tyler Perry film the same? A young black woman has a crazy family alongside an abusive significant other who beats her, runs away to her crazy family, finds someone a lot better, but ends up going back to the person who beats her? That's the gist of them, right?
Old 02-05-12, 05:53 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
When I was single, I used to impress Mormon girls with my knowledge of Mormon films and the fact I know Will Swenson.

Isn't the plot of every Tyler Perry film the same? A young black woman has a crazy family alongside an abusive significant other who beats her, runs away to her crazy family, finds someone a lot better, but ends up going back to the person who beats her? That's the gist of them, right?
I don't even know if you're joking or not, but none of the ones I've been forced to sit through had that plot.
Old 02-05-12, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

At least they are local and stay local.
Old 02-05-12, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 362 Likes on 262 Posts

Meh. Doesn't look bad. Looks like a two hour sitcom episode. But doesn't look grueling.
Old 02-05-12, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by troystiffler
Meh. Doesn't look bad. Looks like a two hour sitcom episode. But doesn't look grueling.
Shouldn't it be on tv then? He makes box office dollars for tv quality tripe.
Old 02-06-12, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

At least they are local and stay local.
Nope. The films travel out of Utah depending on where there are large Mormon populations. For example, Halestorm Entertainment's films have all seen theatrical releases in Las Vegas in addition to their bookings in Sal Tlay Ka Siti.
Old 02-06-12, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are these Mormon films akin to those Kirk Cameron "Left Behind" movies? I remember those got short theatrical releases.
Old 02-06-12, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 158 Likes on 120 Posts

Shouldn't it be on tv then? He makes box office dollars for tv quality tripe.
He makes box office dollars catering to a crowd that doesn't get catered to. The same reason Red Tails made anything. The same reason shows like The Game which I've never seen a second off are on TV and do pretty well in their own right.
Old 02-06-12, 09:37 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by mcfly
Are these Mormon films akin to those Kirk Cameron "Left Behind" movies? I remember those got short theatrical releases.
Most of them are not overtly religious. Rather they stress Mormon values and/or feature situations that Mormon audience members can relate to ("Out of jello at the wedding reception...oh my goodness!")
Old 02-06-12, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Most of them are not overtly religious. Rather they stress Mormon values and/or feature situations that Mormon audience members can relate to ("Out of jello at the wedding reception...oh my goodness!")
so like TWILIGHT?