Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

I'll wait for it on cable....Oh, wait...It's NEVER coming to cable

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 01-31-12, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

Once upon a time, there were always 3 options for my movie-watching:
-Movie Theater
-Home Video (VHS/DVD/Blu)
-Cable/Satellite TV

The first two still seem to be in effect, but the 3rd is slowly vanishing.

The Expendables
The Fighter
G.I. Joe-Rise of Cobra

^Those are just a couple of movies that I clearly remember saying "I'll wait for that on cable"......Well, here I am...Still waiting for them to appear on ANY damn TV station.

I haven't quite given up hope yet because Rob Zombie's Halloween and D.O.A. (Two perfect waiting-for-cable movies) eventually showed up on TV after taking about 4 years.

Now before somebody jumps in and yells out, "Netflix"! My netflix account is reserved for Criterions,Kung Fu,exploitation,silent movies,experimental (i.e, movies that don't play on the major cable networks) But mainstream Hollywood blockbusters obviously do air on cable networks.

So what exactly is holding these movies back? And is this an indication of things to come?
Old 01-31-12, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: I'll wait for it on cable....Oh, wait...It's NEVER coming to cable

I assume your cable company doesn't carry EPIX? They hold the premium cable license to Lionsgate and Paramount films, possibly a few others I can't think of. If you're looking for G.I. Joe, The Fighter, or The Expendables, that's where they have been.
Old 01-31-12, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by MrSmearkase
I assume your cable company doesn't carry EPIX? They hold the premium cable license to Lionsgate and Paramount films, possibly a few others I can't think of. If you're looking for G.I. Joe, The Fighter, or The Expendables, that's where they have been.

Bingo

Old 01-31-12, 08:03 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GI Joe is going to be on USA. Or maybe it already has been. I did see commercials this past week.
Old 01-31-12, 08:08 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

I would think Spike will show The Expendables at some point.
Old 01-31-12, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

For me, "waiting for cable" means waiting for a premium station to show it. I'd never watch a movie on USA, FX, Spike or any other channel that won't at the very least show it uncut. EPIX goes one further and maintains OAR as well.
Old 01-31-12, 08:25 PM
Premium Member

Received 676 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by Spottedfeather
GI Joe is going to be on USA. Or maybe it already has been. I did see commercials this past week.
Feb 4th, but it will have commercials and who knows what cuts.
Old 01-31-12, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you mean torrent.
Old 01-31-12, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
For me, "waiting for cable" means waiting for a premium station to show it. I'd never watch a movie on USA, FX, Spike or any other channel that won't at the very least show it uncut. EPIX goes one further and maintains OAR as well.
OAR doesn't bother me if they aren't wider than 1:85. And I can (Nowdays) handle watching edited PG-13 movies with (DVR-forwarded) commercials.

Being a Directv subscriber obviously means no EPIX for me.

So what other Paramount/Lionsgate movies have I been missing out on?
Old 01-31-12, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Why the fuck would you watch a movie on cable?
Old 01-31-12, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

GET A NETFLIX ACCOUNT.

You listed three movies, two of the three (The Expendables and The Fighter) are currently available streaming on Netflix in 1080p and 5.1 surround sound whereas the other was available on Netflix for months.

As someone also pointed out, all three titles were either Paramount or Lionsgate which now bypass HBO/Cinemax/Showtime/The Movie Channel/Starz and head directly to their own channel (EPIX).

Who has an exclusive deal to stream their content with Netflix?

EPIX.

Who also has an exclusive deal to stream their content with Netflix?

Relativity Media and FilmDistrict.

Solution? Solved.

... and get a MoviePass account.
Old 01-31-12, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I never heard of Epix until this thread but I'm very surprised that a new premium channel came to fruition in this day and age. Odd that Paramount wouldn't want a bigger audience for cable movies like on HBO or Showtime.
Old 01-31-12, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mcfly
Odd that Paramount wouldn't want a bigger audience for cable movies like on HBO or Showtime.
Why? Paramount can control their own content even more, despite the fact, Viacom owns both Paramount and Showtime.

HBO and Showtime have big audiences when it comes to original programming and sporting events. Outside of that? Not as much.

By showing a new film on HBO or Showtime, the studio gives up the right to show that film anywhere else on television for a specific duration of time due to contractual agreements. By bypassing that and developing their own channel, Paramount and Lionsgate are able to partner with third-parties like Netflix and show their content to larger subscribers and make more money in the process.

It's a win-win. The studios make more money and the film is available to a wider audience.
Old 01-31-12, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
Now before somebody jumps in and yells out, "Netflix"!
Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
GET A NETFLIX ACCOUNT.
So much for that! But thanks for the breakdown on why the companies are doing this.

Didn't expect Netflix would be my last resort when it came to eventually watching these type of movies, but with no EPIX around, what can you do?
Old 01-31-12, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Didn't expect Netflix would be my last resort when it came to eventually watching these type of movies, but with no EPIX around, what can you do?
When it comes to Netflix, you now have six studios who are bypassing the premium cable channels and sending all of their content directly to streaming. Paramount, Lionsgate, MGM, DreamWorks Animation, FilmDistrict and Relativity. This is in addition to the deals Netflix already has setup with Miramax, 20th Century Fox, and others when it comes to other catalog content.

For eight dollars a month, if you have the connectivity and hardware, it's fucking worth it.

... and by the way, haaaaaaaave you met my friend MoviePass?
Old 01-31-12, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Why? Paramount can control their own content even more, despite the fact, Viacom owns both Paramount and Showtime.
Viacom doesn't own Showtime, CBS Corp does.
Old 02-01-12, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by TaranTebow
Why the fuck would you watch a movie on cable?
This.
Old 02-01-12, 03:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

^Sorry, guys. The cable I'm referring to is HBO,Cinemax,Showtime,Movie Channel,Starz,Encore,HDNM,MGM,Sony and Sundance<----They even showed Enter The Void uncut a few months ago. That's a pretty big line-up of movie channels there, but little did I know there was something called EPIX floating around.

When it comes to Netflix, you now have six studios who are bypassing the premium cable channels and sending all of their content directly to streaming. Paramount, Lionsgate, MGM, DreamWorks Animation, FilmDistrict and Relativity. This is in addition to the deals Netflix already has setup with Miramax, 20th Century Fox, and others when it comes to other catalog content.
Back in the 90's/early 2000's, the rules seemed to look like this:

WB/Fox movies=HBO
Universal/New Line movies=Starz
MGM movies=Showtime

All those channels are now sharing various studio product lately. But as you point out, a big chunk is now going to streaming instead of a tv channel....And I'm sure it ain't gonna stop just there.
Old 02-01-12, 06:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gerry P.
This.
Yup, I can't stand watching movies on cable, unless I just want background noise. I understand they have to cut certain content and such, but when they cut a bunch of stuff just for time, drives me nuts!
Old 02-01-12, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

Netflix and On Demand have fully destroyed my need for regular television.

I mean hell, right now I could turn on my Comcast box and watch 13 episodes of Whitney. Whitney!
Old 02-03-12, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,220 Likes on 837 Posts

Now before somebody jumps in and yells out, "Netflix"! My netflix account is reserved for Criterions,Kung Fu,exploitation,silent movies,experimental (i.e, movies that don't play on the major cable networks) But mainstream Hollywood blockbusters obviously do air on cable networks.
Good strategy ... especially since Criterions, Kung Fu, exploitation, silent movies, and experimental movies cost you $8 through Netflix while GI Joe, The Expendables, and The Fighter will cost you ... the same $8. Good call.

I was looking to buy a new car last month. I had $6,000 to spend and found a nice 4-door Oldsmobile that was a few years old. The salesman offered to sell me a brand new Porsche for the same price ... I told him that I preferred the Oldsmobile since the new car would eventually sell for the price of a used car anyway. Why take advantage of it now?
Old 02-04-12, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
Good strategy ... especially since Criterions, Kung Fu, exploitation, silent movies, and experimental movies cost you $8 through Netflix while GI Joe, The Expendables, and The Fighter will cost you ... the same $8. Good call.
Since I'm subscribed to HBO,Cinemax,Showtime,Movie Channel,Starz,Encore,HDNM,MGM,Sony & Sundance, movies like GI Joe, The Expendables, and The Fighter would eventually appear on some of those channels. So why should I bother Netflixing them when those particular movies will soon be part of my cable-bill? It makes sense to use the netflix-account primarily for movies that don't hardly ever have a shot of appearing on the satelite/cable channels that I'm subscribed to, correct? Good strategy indeed.

Only thing is, since I thought I had every major movie-channel that this country has to offer, there was something out there called EPIX that I had never heard of.....

But in the end, it doesn't matter because you're right.

Because GI Joe, The Expendables, and The Fighter (Along with various other movies from Lionsgate/Paramount) will now have to share my netflix queue with Criterions, Kung Fu, exploitation, silent movies, and experimental movies. You can thank Directv for that.
Old 02-04-12, 02:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Since I'm subscribed to HBO,Cinemax,Showtime,Movie Channel,Starz,Encore,HDNM,MGM,Sony & Sundance, movies like GI Joe, The Expendables, and The Fighter would eventually appear on some of those channels. So why should I bother Netflixing them when those particular movies will soon be part of my cable-bill? It makes sense to use the netflix-account primarily for movies that don't hardly ever have a shot of appearing on the satelite/cable channels that I'm subscribed to, correct? Good strategy indeed.
Um...

Uh....

That more sounds like you're throwing money away.
Old 02-04-12, 02:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That more sounds like you're throwing money away.
Still talking about moviepass I see...
Old 02-04-12, 02:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DonnachaOne
Still talking about moviepass I see...
As someone who has Netflix, Hulu Plus, Spotify, and yes, MoviePass, I've lost all the appeal of cable television. Netflix, Hulu Plus and Spotify give me the instant gratification I need. If I'm seeking a title out that's not available on demand and that I don't want to purchase, I can always get it mailed to me from Netflix. Or I can rent it from iTunes, Vudu, Zune Marketplace, etc.

... and especially for the fact that I'm on a message board called DVD Talk and I own 400+ Blu-rays and 500+ DVDs that I'm currently not watching at the moment either.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.