Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Need some help with a new 1080p Vizio I got.

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 12-27-11, 06:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought a new 55" LCD Vizio. Something seems wrong. We got the cable and everything set up, and we tried watching some of our premium (movie) channels.

It looks REALLY weird. It looks like the actors on screen move funny. Dinner for Schmucks was on and it just seemed to be so off. I popped in The Dark Knight to display something on 1080p to see if maybe that was the issue (as Schmucks was running on 480p). Nope. Even The Dark Knight looked strange. It's as if the characters are so clear that the actor movement is, off somehow.

Anyone experience this? Is it a flaw? What is it? Is this just how new TVs work? The 1080p movie quality was fine, but it just seemed choppy in parts, and there was just an indescribable difference with the films.

They almost seemed like you were watching British TV.
Old 12-27-11, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Need some help with a new 1080p Vizio I got.

It's hard to gauge from your vague description, but I'm willing to bet, like most issues people have with new HDTVs, it's motion interpolation. The TV repeats frames to give the impression of a smoother, more fluid image, with the effect that film doesn't look like film, but more like video; the "soap opera" effect, to those who don't like it. Turn off motion interpolation and see if there's an improvement for you. Your Vizio will probably label it "MEMC".
Old 12-27-11, 07:00 PM

I had a hard time putting my finger on how to describe it, but I'll try that and re-edit my post to see if that does anything.

EDIT: It was under the setting "Real Cinema Mode," I turned it off and it is remarkably better. Thank you!

This motion interpolation, is it the new standard? Or is it just an apples and oranges deal?

Last edited by TerryAlexFan; 12-27-11 at 07:08 PM.
Old 12-27-11, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's on a lot of new HDTVs, because some people really like the effect for sports and live events. I think it kills the look of movies, though. It's often automatically set to "on" out of the box to give the viewer more of an impression of a difference.

I'm glad it worked. Enjoy your new TV!
Old 12-27-11, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DonnachaOne
It's on a lot of new HDTVs, because some people are fucking crazy. I think it kills the look of movies, though. It's often automatically set to "on" out of the box to give the viewer more of an impression of a difference.

I'm glad it worked. Enjoy your new TV!
Fixed that for you.
Old 12-28-11, 01:55 AM

Amen. I was going to strongly re-consider my purchase if I hadn't been able to get it fixed. It's a great TV, and it's amazing that it can stream Netflix without any external equipment!

Thanks fellas, appreciate it.