Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

How do you think Microsoft is going to solve the media/storage issue?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games
View Poll Results: How do you think Microsoft is going to solve the media/storage issue?
DVD again (multiple discs FTW!)
6.25%
Download and/or Streaming (The future now!)
6.25%
Blu-ray (We are Sony's friends)
50.00%
MS proprietary format (HD-DVD is coming back!)
29.17%
Other
8.33%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-30-11, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven't been able to sleep because of this.

For the next generation, the Xbox 720 or whatever, how do you think Microsoft is going to solve the media issue? Basically DVD discs don't have enough space for all the data that's going to be needed. We have already seen it in some games this generation.

I can see them trying to "force" people to go the download route. But of course they have several options.
Old 11-30-11, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: How do you think Microsoft is going to solve the media/storage issue?

holographic cubes.
Old 11-30-11, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

It may depend on WHEN the next generation is going to start. Back in 2005-2006, I would never have guessed it would last this long, and it doesn't look to end anytime soon.

Download-only isn't ready yet. They are not going to turn their back on all the people that can't (or just won't yet) do it. It would be financial suicide to require downloads for every game. Before we get there, there will have to be a transition period in which every game is available either way, and then it's just a matter of watching the sales figures from each method. The PC is pretty much at that stage now, and the PS Vita will be doing that.

I would assume it will have to have a larger disc size, probably BD unless they can do something proprietary at less cost.
Old 11-30-11, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Isn't Nintendo planning to do a proprietary high capacity disk for the next system? I don't see why MS couldn't do the same thing. Why not use the HD DVD tech? As long as they're not dual-sided.
Old 11-30-11, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I would like to see download-only, but I agree with others, it isn't ready for consoles. Physical media for consoles will be here to stay probably until the end of this current decade.

Unless Microsoft and Sony can come to some sort of a amazing, fantastic agreement on using the Blu-ray technology, I don't see Blu-ray being the way Microsoft goes. I could see Microsoft telling Sony to go fuck themselves before going the route of using BD discs for the 720.

Like bunkaroo mentioned, I could see them using that dormant HD-DVD technology as even a single-layer disc gives them 15GB compared to the 8.5–8.7 GB they're using now.
Old 11-30-11, 02:57 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

Blu-ray.

My problems with download-only are:
- not ideal for people without broadband (more than you think)
- no special editions with useless crap that I have to buy because I'm dumb.
- highly unlikely that pricing would be any better. It's hard to justify $60 for a NEW game, let alone a new downloadable-only game.
Old 11-30-11, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

HOLOGRAPHS! Hear me now, beleive me later.

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/storage/ge...c-storage/1467

Or thumbdrives using usb 3.0 .
Old 11-30-11, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts

Consoles will NEVER be download only. What retail outlet is going to sell your console without the benefit of game sales? You would see Gamestop, Target & Wal-Mart all boycott the system if that were the case.

Personally I'd love to see them go the route Blu-rays have gone and include a digital copy with the physical copy. Of course they'd have to get around people selling off one or the other. I like the convenience of having all my games at my fingertips, but don't want to give up the option of borrowing/loaning games to friends and just having a copy in case I lose access to my digital version.

Thumb drives could work for that. The system could "move" the game to the hard drive rendering the USB stick empty and not "re-sale worthy" without moving the game back to the stick.
Old 11-30-11, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I can't see Microsoft paying the Blu-ray fee. It'll probably be a proprietary format. Will it be a disc? I don't know.
Old 11-30-11, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Download and thumbdrives? Why not?

I used to install games to my USB drive when I still had my Xbox Arcade.

That, of course, is more expensive than a dvd disc though.
Old 11-30-11, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Blu-ray. I can't see any other viable option. They want these things in entertainment centers. Making it a Blu-ray player makes sense.
Old 11-30-11, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Considering that Microsoft is licensing the Kinect to Sony to include in their TVs, maybe Sony is going to license them blu-ray.
Old 11-30-11, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think download should be a viable option. Keep the physical games available for those who want it but also release games for download on release day.
Old 11-30-11, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Consoles will NEVER be download only. What retail outlet is going to sell your console without the benefit of game sales? You would see Gamestop, Target & Wal-Mart all boycott the system if that were the case.
Did they boycott the iPod and other MP3 players? What about smartphones? Tablets? Those devices encourage you to buy media from a distributor that isn't the store where you bought it, even if some of them don't require it (after all, you can still buy CDs - for now - to feed an MP3 player). I'm not sure why console games would be different, although it will probably take longer.

I don't doubt that they'd fight it at first, but I wouldn't say it will never happen. Gamestop is even in the DD business now, having acquired Impulse.
Old 11-30-11, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I don't think download only will be happening anytime soon, but I agree that it wouldn't surprise me to see release day download options for those who prefer it.

I'm voting Blu-ray, even despite Sony.
Old 11-30-11, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts

Apps for smartphones and tablets are a separate market that never had a physical format. CDs are a closer comparison, but with music sales on an continual decline, it still isn't quite as analogous. I just don't see retailers giving up a piece of an 18 billion dollar pie without a fight.

I also think release day downloads are unlikely. Retailers have already put up a stink about that and the reason why we don't get games on demand until 6 months later. HOWEVER, a more likely scenario is in store download cards. Retailers still get a piece of the pie and gamers still get the convenience of a digital copy.

Maybe "never" was a strong word, but as long as video gaming is as profitable as it is now, we won't see a download only console for a few generations. Didn't the PSP Go sorta (on a small scale) prove that gamers want physical media?
Old 11-30-11, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

I think what we'll see next gen is two different systems available. one Disc-less drive and one with a drive. I don't really see a problem with multiple dvd games. Final Fantasy VIII was 4 discs back in ps1 days and no one complained!
Old 11-30-11, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 81 Likes on 69 Posts

I definitely think they'll push a lot more direct download. Maybe even charge more for a physical copy. But unless things change soon, there's still a lot of people who can't download games, or who won't mess with online purchasing, points, credit card, etc.
I'm not sure about BD since Sony was so influential in its success, but if they're positioning the device as an entertainment device, I think they'll have to do it.
I have no problem with DVDs. Even for games that require multiples - I think I can deal with a thirty second break to switch every 15 hours of story or so.

I think even apart from the retailer perspective, something big has to change for DD to be more successful. Many gamers rely on trades and reselling in order to get more games, and unless the price of a new release drops, or there's some way to transfer ownership of DD, I think that's still a tough wall to break for many consumers. At least Steam has good sales rather often.
Old 11-30-11, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though

A couple of thoughts.

1. Digital download only isn't going to happen for a very long time. The trend in ISP's is bandwith limits. How would you like to hit your limit with one retail download game. Not to mention all the people who live in the hills and can't even download patches for Skyrim and whatnot. The majority of the console game buying public doesn't buy digital games on the console.

2. Those who like getting games for cheap better pray every day that phsyical games don't go away. Digital only = expensive for a lot longer than physical disks + no possibility of selling when you are done w/ a game.
Old 11-30-11, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Retailers are fine with the current model. Publishers want to move to a digital model, so they don't lose revenue in the used market.

I think Gamestop was planning, or already has, download stations. Something like that can help for the people that don't want to download at home.

But yeah, it's hard to expect a download only option for the next generation.
Old 11-30-11, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,356 Likes on 921 Posts

They'd better not move towards digital downloads only yet. I trade games in and I want to continue to have that ability.
Old 11-30-11, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

There's no way they'll be moving towards digital distribution. With games about to be bumped up to 25-50 GB, people won't have the bandwidth.
Old 11-30-11, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Blu-ray is not going to happen. It will be a USB thumb drive type media or maybe a credit/gift card shaped media with a RFID type technology built in before another disc based option comes out. I expect the next gen Xbox to still have a DVD drive for backwards compatibility but new games will be on a larger format proprietary device.
Old 11-30-11, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Fuck it - let's go back to cartridges. I miss blowing on games. Sometimes I blow on my discs when I'm feeling nostalgic.
Old 12-01-11, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 370 Likes on 299 Posts

I'm going Blu Ray... they'd be stupid not to go down that road. The next Xbox should be the ultimate entertainment center and you can't have that w/out BD.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.