Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Redbox "late" fees and overcharges.

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 10-18-11, 06:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been tempted to rent DVDs from Redbox at $1,
but I've read a few warnings on facebook where renters claim
they were charged $25 for dvds they returned.

First off....$25 seems excessive for a used DVD that can
be purchased new for less. More importantly, renters
complain that Redbox does not provide any receipt for returned dvds.

Also read an article claiming that Redbox has charged customers
100 million dollars ($100,000,000) in "late" and "punitive" fees.

If that figure were accurate, it would seem that Redbox
would be losing a lot of customers.

Does anyone have any info/advice to avoid overcharges
on returns?
Old 10-18-11, 07:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Redbox "late" fees and overcharges.

I've never had an erroneous charge from them. I'm sure they do make a lot from late fees, because it's a dollar and a lot of people aren't going to make a special trip to the store just to save a buck.

I guess if you are really concerned, you could keep a smart phone with you when you return it so you can check your email. Really though, I've never been to any video store that provides you a receipt for your return, so don't see how Redbox is much different in that regard.
Old 10-18-11, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

i pay the $8 for netflix dvd's. looked at redbox but i have to drive or walk there and if i reserve a movie i'm also paying for the days before i pick it up.

stick with netflix
Old 10-18-11, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 366 Likes on 231 Posts

Returned dozens of DVDs to Redbox without ever encountering a mistake such as the one described in the OP. I'm guessing the folks complaining are certain they returned their DVD, until they discover it under the seat of their car, etc.
Old 10-18-11, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

Yeah, I wouldn't believe everything you read. They system is almost foolproof, but there are a lot of fools out there. It scans the movie back in instantly so there's almost zero chance that you'll get charged for something you returned. Plus you can enter your e-mail address when you rent & it will send you a record of your transactions.

And there are no late fees or punitive charges. You either return the movie or you keep renting it at a dollar a day until you do. Rent it enough days & you've effectively 'bought' it.
Old 10-19-11, 05:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Each Redbox late fee I've been charged has been my fault.
Old 10-23-11, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by al_bundy
i pay the $8 for netflix dvd's. looked at redbox but i have to drive or walk there and if i reserve a movie i'm also paying for the days before i pick it up.
stick with netflix
I believe netflix is a better deal, but I was only looking to
rent a few new releases (once or twice every few months).

I have 3 local pawn shops that have thousands of DVDs for
$2 each. I normally just buy, and use craigslist to sell off the
ones I'm tired of watching.

These are good times for movie fans. I remember paying
$2 & $3 just to rent a DVD or VHS tape for one night.
Old 10-23-11, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a friend who works for Redbox customer support, and by the sounds of it, they will refund late fees for pretty much any excuse.
Old 10-23-11, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by freshticles
I have a friend who works for Redbox customer support, and by the sounds of it, they will refund late fees for pretty much any excuse.
That doesn't surprise me. The time or two I've had to contact customer service (a code they sent me didn't work at a particular machine), they've been very accomodating in making things right.
Old 10-24-11, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 273 Likes on 207 Posts

The only late fee I got charged with them was when I had a defective dvd. I called their customer service and they told me to write a reference number on a piece of paper and stick it inside the case with the dvd and put the case in the black box on the side of the Redbox machine instead of return it the usual way, so they could take the disc out of service.

For whatever reason though when the reps come and check the machines they didn't take notice of the reference number and I got billed for $7. I called them and got it cleared up. No other problems since. When I had a Blockbuster account at the stores I had so many problems though.
Old 10-24-11, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 987 Likes on 818 Posts

Wow, a company that thinks a long-term customer relationship has more value than one buck today?
Old 10-24-11, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RRkY2tfgFz4&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RRkY2tfgFz4&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></embed></object>
Old 10-24-11, 06:30 PM
Banned

While waiting in line at a kiosk to return a movie I had a conversation with an older woman, who said she rented from the same video store for the past 30 years and always paid $3 and got to keep the movie for 5 days (so she could rent it immediately but have 5 days to watch it at her convenience). She was so confused when the store closed and they put in a Redbox as the only form of video rental for miles. I told her she can still do that, but she'll be paying $5 to keep it for 5 days. So honestly, Redbox is only a good deal if you like to rent only when you want to watch something new.

Like someone else said in this thread, pawn shops and used DVD stores sell cheap movies - $2-$3 plus you can trade-in/sell back anything you disliked. I tend to use this method more than Redbox, but that's because of selection more than the cost.
Old 04-06-12, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Fire40
When I tried to call Red Box I couldn't get through for a couple days so I emailed.
I've never had a problem reaching someone when I've called.
Old 04-06-12, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Fire40
How wonderful for you that you got through the day you called. Congratulations.
Thanks!
Old 04-06-12, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I've never been charged a late fee by Redbox. In fact I don't think they even have a late fee. It is $1.20/night until you've bought the disc. Simple.
Old 07-11-17, 02:57 PM

While I don't think that a lot of people are getting overcharged, I myself am one that has been. Twice even. I rented one movie, watched it same day, returned it 3 days later and was charged $8.10, which is an overcharge. Should have been $1 for the rental and three dollars for the late days, for a total of $4
Where the $8 came from is beyond me. Second time it's happened, I always return it within 4 days, sometimes sooner.
Old 07-11-17, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Tiffany79
While I don't think that a lot of people are getting overcharged, I myself am one that has been. Twice even. I rented one movie, watched it same day, returned it 3 days later and was charged $8.10, which is an overcharge. Should have been $1 for the rental and three dollars for the late days, for a total of $4
Where the $8 came from is beyond me. Second time it's happened, I always return it within 4 days, sometimes sooner.
Well I can tell you that $4 isn't correct. Redbox hasn't had $1 rentals in some time now.