View Single Post
Old 09-18-11, 07:59 PM   #23
SterlingBen
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31) ***The List Thread

Goal: 60
Legend:
First Time Views *
Watched With Wife *
- Oct 1st -
1.)
Commentary For Return Of The Living Dead (1985) (Blu-Ray) *
My Thoughts: This is one of my all time top horror movies and the only reason I hadn't listened to this commentary previously is because I was boycotting these incorrect audio releases but I finally gave in when I saw the BR for less than $8. Big fan of cast commentaries and this one was really fun given both the cast and source material until about 50 mins in at which point they have a "real zombie" come into the commentary. He is only in it maybe 5-10 minutes but the whole skit really sucks all the fun out of this track. The track does recover but it is stained by the skit. Still some good fun here.
(4 out of 5)
2.)
Dream House (2011) (Theater) **
My Thoughts: From the trailer I fully expected to come here and post a been there done that kinda review. But it actually had a few more twists up it's sleeve than I gave it credit for. Still It is a very familiar feeling movie, enjoyable but I think I would have rather watched In Dreams again.
(3.5 out of 5)
My Wife's Thoughts: Good story, very detail demo choto (but a little) sad. But that's very similar those Dakota Fanning movie or Ghost like that. It's not really scary I guess its more for mystery, I never scared anything.
(4.0 out of 5)
- Oct 2nd -
3.)
Sherlock Holmes: The Woman In Green (1945) (DVD) *
My Thoughts: A horror movie according to IMDB i feel almost guilty including this one without a wildcard. This one didn't quite scratch my Sherlock Holmes itch. Never did we have that scene where Homes explains everything in a way that makes it seem so elementary, just a few observations here and there. And the over reliance on the less than menacing Moriarty just doesn't work. What could have been a fascinating story about Holmes after a demented serial killer turns into a lark about blackmail and hypnotism. On a side note it is very interesting to look up what the British film censors at the time had the film excise. The subdued subplot reminds me of Private Parts a bit but I doubt it would be near as exploitative given the production date of this film.
(2.5 out of 5)
4.)
Pandorum (2009) (Blu-Ray) *
My Thoughts: Someone on this board sold me on this movie by jokingly referring to it as the sequel to Event Horizon (after a little Google Fu that person was TallGuyMe (thank you btw)). And holy fuck was it awesome. Easily one of the most satisfying sci-fi epics I have seen in years. I am even having a hard time finding something to nitpick, creature design could've used some better art direction but man this was a good movie. How did this so quickly and completely fall into obscurity? I guess that might have something to do with me not having the movie geek friends I used to. Anyway if you like sci-fi then see it, trust me.
(4.5 out of 5)
5.)
Commentary For Pandorum (2009) (Blu-Ray) *
My Thoughts: Well it's hard to do a bad commentary for a good movie unless you just parrot to the audience what is happening on screen (The Hidden) so this was a fairly interesting one. It had all you would expect out of a commentary but the 2 guys talking were just in themselves a little boring, what they were saying were interesting but they just didn't have a good presence, probably why they are behind the camera. Decent but recommended only for hardcore fans of the film.
(3.5 out of 5)
6.)
The Killer Shrews (1959) (DVD) *
My Thoughts: This one was pretty bad. I would be surprised if it hadn't been riffed on my MST3K before. You got all your staples, bad acting, laughable plot and horrible effects. The so called Killer Shrews are achieved by a combination of some awful puppets and some obviously playful dogs in costumes. I did watch the colorized version which might have made it play a little worse as they picked firecrotch red for the dogs in shrews clothing.
(2 out of 5)
- Oct 3rd -
7.)
The Final Days Of Planet Earth (2006) (DVD) *
My Thoughts: First off I gotta say, Echobridge wtf is up with the VHS quality disc, this was made in 2006 there is no excuse for this level of quality. The movie is average, not good, not especially bad. It is heavily derivative of 90's alien invasion which isn't a bad thing in it's self, it's just that story telling has changed so much since then that the material feels hackneyed. Also how is it that no one, beside Tarantino, can get good acting out of Daryl Hannah? Feels like she is reading off cue cards at an elementary school play, as the name for the project she is also the worst actor in it. Mild entertainment, like something you might see on the SyFy channel.
(3 out of 5)
8.)
Commentary For Zombieland (2009) (Blu-Ray) *
My Thoughts: Not quite as fun as the movie, mostly due to the director dominating the track when everyone really just wants to listen to Woody and Eisenberg. I would love to have a BM commentary on this movie. Also speaking on just the film it's self it seems to just beg for an extended cut.
(3.5 out of 5)
9.)
Rifftrax For Alien (1979) (Internet) *
My Thoughts: My first experience with a Rifftrax on a good movie was during last years October Horror Movie Challenge. And I think it was a very similar experience. Took me a while to warm up to someone talking over Alien but when I did there was some fun to be had. I only lol'd a few times but I was entertained throughout. Not as good as the one I watched last year for I Am Legend though.
(3.5 out of 5)
10.)
Shock Waves (1977) (DVD) *
My Thoughts: Nazi Zombies?!?! Well not quite. But even not really delivering on that premise there was something about this movie that I really liked. The zombie/monsters were laughable bad but something... the film stock, the setting, the actors... something just really really worked for me here. But what I cannot say.
(4 out of 5)
11.)
Headspace (2005) (DVD) **
My Thoughts: I wanted to like this but it just couldn't hold me interest, I nodded off at least 3 times, perhaps more. The acting was bad, the story was meh, it had a few boobs but none that were really that impressive. But what can you really expect from $3 Big Lots fodder.
(1.5 out of 5)
My Wife's Thoughts: It's good but mmmm I don't know But thats too much I don't know, simmilar thing that type of movie and very weird. And kinda tell whats going to ending no surprised, middle of the movie kinda guessed. She's toughing his peepee ohhhhhh.
(2.5 out of 5)
11.5)
Terra Nova S01E03 (2011) (TV) *
My Thoughts: A dino of the week episode and next week a virus of the week episode. I was hoping this could be a replacement for Lost/BSG but it is not looking that way at this rate. Seems like Fox is trying to prevent the steady decline in a plot driven shows veiwership (due to missing episodes) for something easier to jump back into. I really do hope that this is not the case and since we are only on episode 3 (and they keep giving me stickers for checking in on Getglue) I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt for now...
(3 out of 5)
12.5)
Human Centipede (2009) (Blu-Ray) **
My Thoughts: I did see the extended Tosh.0 spoiler theater on this one so I wasn't really surprised by anything. But I do have to give them credit for making a squirmy make it stop kind of movie and making me feel like I haven't felt since seeing Hostel. I am down for the sequel, hope it is not just a retread. My favorite part about this movie was inflicting it on my wife.
(3.5 out of 5)
My Wife's Thoughts: Tom Six is creepy (The Director). It's very creepy and weird, I almost get sick. I am very sorry have to shit. I thought happy ending but it's not. I thought they can be separated. If I get flat tired I not move anymore I just sit right there. Yeah she should escape by herself and then get help I think. First probably start 4 star then go down to 3.5 too creepy and too depressing that end.
(3.5 out of 5)
- Oct 4th -
13.5)
Nosferatu (1922) (Internet) *
My Thoughts: Undeniably a classic. Goofy at times due to it's age and being a silent film but on the flip side there is also some very effective creepiness just because of that. The end felt a bit truncated compares to the rest of the film, not sure if it is some editing/version thing like with Metropolis or what. An interesting view but not a silent film I feel like I will be revisiting with any frequency.
(4 out of 5)
14.)
Friday The 13th The Series S01E19 (1988) (DVD) *
My Thoughts: Why they decided to make the evil quilt episode a 2 parter is beyond me. This feels like one of those Westly Crusher shore leave episode where Brian in the Westly part is breaking just about every rule he possible can. I was entrained but I am just not a fan of this concept, it just keeps making me think of Westly falling on the flower bed. Also the episodes without Jack seem to drag a little.
(2.5 out of 5)
- Oct 5th -
15.)
Shadow Of The Vampire (2000) (Internet) *
My Thoughts: This is one of those movies that I remember seeing the preview for, actively wanting to watch and even picking up the box several times but just never actually buying/renting it for whatever reason. I had the notion that it would be much more of a comedy, based on the preview, but that's not really a complaint so much as an observation. I liked this movie and it was especially interesting after seeing the original Nosferatu. I am curious about the extent of drug use in German cinema prior to WW2 I think that might be a very interesting subject for a documentary. Anyway I liked the movie but wasn't blown away by it and feel like I might not liked it as much if I hadn't seen it so close to my viewing of Nosferatu.
(3.5 out of 5)
16.)
Visiting Hours (1982) (Internet) *
My Thoughts: William Shatner & Michael Ironside? Sign me up. This movie plays sooo cheesy that it's delicious. I have seen all these characters and situations before but there is just something here that makes it fresh and fun yet very 80's slasher. Maybe in that it almost feels like a European slasher even though it is a Canadian production. There is classic Ironside, terrorized babysitters, weird sexual encounters with the killer it just hit all the right spots I was in the mood for.
(4 out of 5)
17.)
Zombie Holocaust (1980) (Blu-Ray) **
My Thoughts: Another zombie movie that wasn't really a zombie movie. The plot is severely lacking in cohesion but there is enough gore and nudity here to make it passible. It might have even gotten a slightly higher rating if it was sold as a cannibal film as opposed to a zombie film.
(3 out of 5)
My Wife's Thoughts: 4 star going the hell down to 2 star. But it was good the beginning. Unrealistic. I knew that doctor was creepy. I knew that indian guy is suspicious to be in the hospital. But that story did not connect to anything I thought serial killer murder but then go to island. I don't like zombie movie, I like scary, serial killer, monster movie.
(2 out of 5)
18.)
Commentary For From Dusk Till Dawn (1996) (Internet) *
My Thoughts: So I feel that I should add the disclaimer that I am a Tarantino whore before I delve into my buttery love for this commentary track. I had always wondered why Tarantino never did commentary tracks for his movies and here within is explained why. Both Tarantino and Rodriguez are just a film geeks delight to listen to. Great stories about the business, actors, other films. It is just a treasure trove of awesome (if you are into that sort of thing). Tarantino can get a little too excited at times but he is always a class act in my book (that guy outside the coffee house was a jerk).
(5 out of 5)
- Oct 6th -
19.)
Dead Snow (2009) (Blu-Ray) *
My Thoughts: Well, it was at least more accurate to the theme than the last Nazi zombie movie but on the other hand it wasn't quite as good. While I have grown to accept the fast zombie, this makes them way way to fast. The the point where it wasn't quite enjoyable as a zombie movie anymore. As a foreign monster movie it was fun though, I am always a fan of seeing genre films from other cultural points of view. And I have a feeling that those Norwegians would be a really fun group to hang out with.
(3.5 out of 5)
20.)
Commentary For Shock Waves (1977) (DVD) *
My Thoughts: It seems like these low budget movies always have better commentary tracks. Fun behind the scenes stories about famous actors they only had for 4 days, abandoned hotels, sea creatures nailed to boards. This is just everything you want out of a commentary.
(4.5 out of 5)
- Oct 7th -
21.)
Dead & Buried (1981) (Blu-Ray) *
My Thoughts: This one was a treat. So far my second favorite FTV of a challenge that i all FTVs. Although I must admit that it makes me a little sad every time I see an awesome 80's movie as that is one less discovery I am going to make in the future over what is arguable my favorite decades for horror movies. Anyway great movie only critique I have would be the ending needs maybe a little something extra, maybe...
(4.5 out of 5)
22.)
Commentary For Dead & Buried (1981) (Blu-Ray) *
My Thoughts: Okay we get it guy, you cowrote Alien. I shutter to think what this commentary would have been like without the Blue Underground moderator. There were a few interesting tid bits but way too many blank segments, talk of Alien and how he wanted to dial back the gore. Guess I should have chosen one of the other 2 tracks.
(2.5 out of 5)
23.)
Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed (1969) (Internet) *
My Thoughts: I love how much of an asshole they make Frankenstein in these. And on a related note it is really weird seeing Peter Cushing rape someone, he is so thin I imagine his advances could be easily thwarted. This makes the second Hammer Frankenstein I have seen and I really need to hunt down a box set for these. They are a very interesting take on an established genre and make me want to seek out more Brit horror.
(3.5 out of 5)
24.)
The Mystery of the Marie Celeste (1935) (Internet) *
My Thoughts: A not particularly engaging 10 little indians on a boat. But of course we know all along it is going to be Lugosi. I must admit to not being the biggest Lugosi fan but also I really haven't seen any of his staple work. But I am going to give him another change here later in the calling with The Return Of The Vampire, so we shall see.
(2 out of 5)
More →
Part II Or Scroll ↓

Last edited by SterlingBen; 08-22-15 at 02:39 PM.