Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Is Deep Discount DVD still reliable?

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 12-25-10, 07:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want to get the Chaplin at Keystone box, and DDD has it for around $46 as compared to Amazon's $71. But it's listed as out of stock at DDD. Anyone know how quickly they're filling backorders? Or would my order be tied up indefinitely? Thanks!
Old 12-25-10, 08:07 PM

Re: Is Deep Discount DVD still reliable?

Everyone has their own opinion, IMO they are absolutely not reliable anymore.
Old 12-25-10, 08:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This should be in the store forum, I've ordered some stuff from them and it took like 2 months to get it. So if you want your product soon, don't order from them.
Old 12-25-10, 08:15 PM
Premium Member

Received 676 Likes on 456 Posts

If you care when you get it, then no.
Old 12-25-10, 08:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by The Escapist
No.
Old 12-25-10, 08:42 PM
Banned

Not at all.
Old 12-25-10, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'd avoid them. My last order took two months.
Old 12-25-10, 09:02 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Get a region-free DVD player (or hack the one you have already) and order the Chaplin set from Amazon UK for about $29 delivered. --Peter
Old 12-26-10, 07:21 PM

The last item I got from DD took a month. So if prompt service is what you're hoping for, I'm not sure DD is up to its old standards. Not to say you won't get it eventually.
Old 12-26-10, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 798 Likes on 566 Posts

I say yes. I have never had a problem with DD that wasn't rectified, and all of the DVDs from an order I placed during the recent sale have arrived, save for one DVD that should come this week.
As others have remarked, if you need your merch yesterday, shop elsewhere, but DD has been reliable for me and I will continue to order from it in the future.
Old 12-27-10, 12:09 AM
bse
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Deep Discount is now a pile of shit, go elsewhere.
Old 12-27-10, 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by bse
Deep Discount is now a pile of shit, go elsewhere.
Why don't you tell us how you really feel?
Old 12-27-10, 09:11 AM

Received 1,830 Likes on 1,089 Posts

Well, all six DVDs I ordered as Christmas gifts arrived in time. Of course, four I ordered on Black Friday and the last one arrived on December 23. And two I ordered in September and one of them also arrived on December 23. So yeah, they got here in time. But, well, it sure took a long time.
Old 12-27-10, 11:14 AM
bse
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. Calamari
Why don't you tell us how you really feel?
Ok, Deep Discount was the only store I ordered from for years, for the last 8 months I received 3 of the 30 blu/dvds I had ordered, they don't give a shit about filling orders or running an honest business where you have items in stock you offer, so fuck them. Now they make it difficult to even cancel orders.
Old 12-27-10, 12:30 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Yes and No. I ordered 30+ items from them since Black Friday and have received all but two with no problems. Most arrived within 5 to 10 days from ordering. None were on backorder at the time but two went on backorder after my order and they still got them in and out to me withing the 10 days. I've had no more issues with DD then any other vendor, which is why I feel comfortable dealing with them when the price is the lowest.

However, when issues do arise they can be frustrating. Their order status is rarely up to date and is sometimes just wrong. Some items remain open long after I've received them. It is difficult to cancel an item once ordered, which puts you in limbo with backordered items.

I would only order an item backordered from DD when the deal is just too good to pass up (no other avenue is even close), and I don't mind waiting for months if necessary to get it.
Old 12-27-10, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,546 Likes on 2,541 Posts

Didn't order a damn thing from their last 25% off sale in November. The prices are so inflated and now that they charge sales tax shipping to California, there is no point for me to order from them anymore.

Hell, I checked my wish list recently and Third Watch seasons 1 and 2 ballooned to $40 something each and several other items have not dropped in price for over 2 years, I knew I wasn't going to buy anything from them.

I'm going to stick to Amazon.com for all future DVD/BR internet orders.
Old 12-27-10, 05:54 PM

had to laugh.
On Saturday I ordered, Michel Gondry 2: More Videos Before & After DVD 1 for $6.20. Awesome deal which is ~$10 less than all other stores. I get a shipping notice for another item:

This:
Makano - 6 Super Hits

Called them up to see what the deal was and they explained the item number on their website is wrong. They made no attempts to send the correct item, only a return label.

What is funny, is that when you type "Michel Gondry 2" on their site, 7 results come up.

http://www.deepdiscount.com/index.cf...ICHEL+GONDRY+2
Old 12-27-10, 05:55 PM

none of which are the actual item
Old 12-28-10, 12:59 AM

Originally Posted by bse
Ok, Deep Discount was the only store I ordered from for years, for the last 8 months I received 3 of the 30 blu/dvds I had ordered, they don't give a shit about filling orders or running an honest business where you have items in stock you offer, so fuck them. Now they make it difficult to even cancel orders.
Fair enough. Other than glacial slowness I've never had a problem with them in the past...maybe they're changing, and not for the good.
Old 12-28-10, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya
Didn't order a damn thing from their last 25% off sale in November. The prices are so inflated and now that they charge sales tax shipping to California, there is no point for me to order from them anymore.

Hell, I checked my wish list recently and Third Watch seasons 1 and 2 ballooned to $40 something each and several other items have not dropped in price for over 2 years, I knew I wasn't going to buy anything from them.

I'm going to stick to Amazon.com for all future DVD/BR internet orders.
While their low prices don't dominate like they used to they are still competitve for the majority of the items. According to DVD Price Compare, Amazon has 9000 items cheaper then anyone else and DeepDiscount 11000. So overall still better the Amazon, but that does not quality what is at a lower price. Some are still finding deals at DD based on what they are looking for while others are not.
Old 12-28-10, 01:55 PM

On September 7, 2010 (that's right September) I placed two orders of 4 Blu-Rays each. There was a promotion going on and perhaps a glitch as both orders came up with 3 of the Blu-Rays free and free shipping.

Along the way I got two e-mails regarding each order informing me that the items were not in stock and I could cancel if I wished, or I could wait. Because the deal was so good I choice not to cancel. However as I was going to sell 6 of the Blu-Rays I stood to make less money then planned. The prices of Blu-Rays generally go down with time don't they? And the orders weren't shipped until December 23 & 24, 2010. If you haven't done the math that's about 3 months and 2 weeks after my order. The first 4 arrived yesterday, the 27th of December.

So I have used Deep Discount twice now. My first and my last.
Old 12-28-10, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

They shouldnt even be allowed to stay in business. that site is a total joke now.

I love how everyone got cancellation notices for the matrix and batman sets yet, in the orders section they are still showing up as being open.
really wish DVD talk would reconsider having them on the main bargins page.
Old 12-28-10, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by bsmith
While their low prices don't dominate like they used to they are still competitve for the majority of the items. According to DVD Price Compare, Amazon has 9000 items cheaper then anyone else and DeepDiscount 11000. So overall still better the Amazon, but that does not quality what is at a lower price. Some are still finding deals at DD based on what they are looking for while others are not.
what good is having 2000 more items listed cheaper than amazon, if they just cancel a large percentage of the orders or wait several months to ship them, when usually they are by that point the same price or even lower at amazon or other sites or b&m stores.
Old 12-28-10, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by AmityBoatTours
what good is having 2000 more items listed cheaper than amazon, if they just cancel a large percentage of the orders or wait several months to ship them, when usually they are by that point the same price or even lower at amazon or other sites or b&m stores.
Well...because when I did my shopping late November and early December I managed to pickup around 25 titles from DD at an average of 42% off when Amazon only averaged around 20% off for the same titles. I ended up saving over a $100. And all items have been received with no issues. All but two within the 5 to 10 business days. I'm not saying everyone has had the same experience, but I am referencing mine so that the OP gets varying perspectives.

As to the Batman and Matrix pricing issue. At the time I checked, the competition had them for around $40 each when DD listed $15 each. So I jumped on it like everyone else. The fact they cancelled due to a pricing error seemed legit to me. Sometimes these types of mistakes get honored and sometimes they don't.

As to the "buy one get multiple" Blue-ray deal, that also seemed like a possible mistake and one many took advantage of. I wouldn't be surprised in that case if they delayed the process hoping people would cancel because it sounds like they took that one on the chin. Most of the complaints about delays seem to have happened around that time. I also heard of an issue opening up a new distribution center in CA that caused delays throughout the year.

DD has some issues that I've referenced previously but as far as canceling large percentages of orders and several month waits, I think these may have been over blown based on a few recent specific events and are not the norm. At least not that I have experienced. As for pricing, I find times and titles where Amazon is better and other times whe DD is, which is why I continue to compare between the two. Some times with 40% or 50% coupons Borders or BN are even the best.
Old 12-28-10, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 575 Likes on 419 Posts

There was an etailer that shut down just before DD appeared. I think it was Dvd Wave?

they went out of business and many people lost a lot of money, they charged before shipping.

Anyway some thought thought that DD was Wave returned.

Anybody remember that?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.