Re: 4th Annual Summer Sci-Fi/Fantasy Challenge - List Thread

Goal: 50
Legend:
First Time Views *
Watched With Wife *
- July 1st -
1.)
Metropolis (1927 / 1984) (DVD)
My Thoughts: I remember seeing the Giorgio Moroder version of Metropolis in high school and falling in love with it. Over the years since then I have looked for it off and on and been unsuccessful in finding it until just this last year. This blend of a 20's German dystopian future with the sounds and colors of the 80's works brilliantly. It is a feast for the eyes and I will enjoy watching that 20's robot exotic dancing over and over again in the years to come.
(4.5 out of 5)
2.)
Flash Gordon Conquers the Universe: Chapters 1-5 (1940) (DVD) *
My Thoughts: I wanted to like this but I found myself bored to tears. Admittedly probably fresh in it's day it just played hackneyed and the same ass the dozen or so other serials I have seen. The only thing that partially saved this for me was having some characters I knew and being somewhat interesting in an past view of the future sort of way. I am at the moment on the fence on if I should watch the next 5ish hours or so on this box set...
(2 out of 5)
3.)
Flash Gordon (1980) (Blu-Ray) *
My Thoughts: I gotta say, the experience of watching this on Blu-Ray kinda ruined this for me. I was a big fan of this movie both in cheese and ascetics on VHS but everything is just too clear on Blu-Ray. It makes it seem like a Dr. Who episode. The sets feel like sets now and the miniatures look like miniatures. But the acting, soundtrack and final act do still save it from being a disaster.
(3 out of 5)
My Wife's Thoughts: "Flash.....Ahhhhh. I think DVD version is much better, 3D version is too fake, too clean. Looks like 60's TV show. It's ok kiddie movie like 3 star I guess. I know why you want to play football, like Flash. Maybe next time we should think wither or not to buy Blu-Ray."
(3 out of 5)
- July 2nd -
4.) - 5.)
Sliders S04E19-22 (1999) (DVD)
My Thoughts: The gang slides from world to world getting themselves into trouble Westly Crusher style. Although I don't hate the Sliders like I do the intrepid ensign Crusher. Kari is exceptionally cute, especially when she gets off character. But after taking the studio tour at Universal all I can see is backlot when I watch this show now. The season finale even starts at the Bates Motel! No cliffhanger this time but it still stings that I can't get season 5 on DVD.
(3.5 out of 5)
6.)
Tremors: The Series S01E01-02 (2003) (DVD) *
My Thoughts: As a fan of the Tremors franchise I was pleased when they turned it into a tv show but unfortunately was never able to catch it when it was actually on. It's nice to see all the returning cast members but I am already seeing how this might be hard, plot wise, to maintain as a show. The second episode is easily the best of the pair harkening back to Tremors 2. Nothing amazing so far but still looking forward to the rest of this series.
(3.5 out of 5)
- July 3rd -
7.)
Fringe S02E16-17 (2010) (Internet) *
My Thoughts: I discovered this series via DVDTalk word of mouth and it has been quite a pleasure and it's nice to know that this one won't die so quickly like FlashForward or The Sarah Connor Chronicles. Here we have a somewhat disappointing story-arc episode and a fantastic stand alone guest staring Petter Weller in a repeated day episode. Finding things like this makes all the hours wasted on DVDTalk worth it.
(3 & 4.5 out of 5 respectively)
- July 4th -
8.) - 9.)
Tremors: The Series S01E03-06 (2003) (DVD) *
My Thoughts: One Tremors 3 callback episode and 3 lamer expanding on Perfection episodes. Had I been watching this one on the initial run this is about the part where I probably would have seen the writing on the wall. I love Christopher Lloyd but his as a scientist from and old abandoned military research center hidden in Perfection valley is kinda lame.
(3 out of 5)
- July 5th -
10.)
Fringe S02E18-19 (2010) (Internet) *
My Thoughts: A decent overarching plot episode and a great standalone holodeck/what if episode. Generally with Sci-Fi the plot arc episodes are my favorite but with both Fringe and the X-Files the weird what ifs seem to be the cream. Going back and forth from this to the budget challenged Tremors Series is like night and day in quality.
(4 out of 5)
- July 6th -
11.)
Fringe S02E20-21 (2010) (Internet) *
My Thoughts: Another great stand alone episode with the annoying girl from the Goonies, not so annoying this time. And a penultimate season 2 episode that rocked my socks off. There was a point where I was kinda meh who are this new characters they are introducing, I am not sure if I am going to like where this is going but then they kill them, awesome. I can't wait to see the season finally but I am really tired so it will have to wait till the morrow.
(4.5 out of 5)
- July 7th -
12.)
Tremors: The Series S01E07-08 (2003) (DVD) *
My Thoughts: A couple of pretty good episodes, not surprisingly none of that expanded universe crap. The shoestring budget that sci-fi had the show on really starts to show when they attempt these big action sequences, but the characters are into it and it's at least as fun as Tremors 3 or maybe even a bit better...
(3.5 out of 5)
- July 8th -
13.)
Fringe S02E22-S03E01 (2010) (Internet) *
My Thoughts: Wow, a great Lost, 'I have to see what is next' vibe going on. This is TV done right. When every episode makes me crazy to see the next something is working. Also this set up into season 3 is very interesting and I am curious how they are going to develop that. Watch this show!
(5 out of 5)
14.)
Tremors: The Series S01E09-10 (2003) (DVD) *
My Thoughts: I wasn't too impressed with the last episodes, it feels like a lameish 90's show at this point. There is one episode with an awful CG monster and another one where animal rights activist descend on Perfection to protect El Blanco, and they are both about as lame as they sound.
(2 out of 5)
- July 10th -
15.)
Killer Klowns From Outer Space (1988) (DVD) *
My Thoughts: Didn't quite hold up as well as I remember but it is still one of the go to 80's cult experiences. If you are in the mood for some bad acting, horrible plot and the need for a gread deal of suspension of disbelief you will not be disappointed. Also for use while drinking and or to terrify those weirdos that are afraid of clowns.
(3.5 out of 5)
My Wife's Thoughts: "Expected high, beginning but it was not that great 3.5 drop to 2.5. It was too silly and kiddie and no any secret. They no talk about anything, where they come from anything. The look very creepy." Her Favorite Klown Kill: Shadow Puppets
(2.5 out of 5)
- July 11th -
16.) - 16.5)
Fringe S03E02-04 (2010) (Internet) *
My Thoughts: Not the explosiveness of either the previous seasons finally or this seasons opener but still serviceable episodes. A bit color by numbers compared to the rest of the series thus far but compared to other shows it is still pretty awesome. I need more, and am dreading catching up to the end of season 3 and having to wait for season 4.
(3.5 out of 5)
- July 13th -
17.5)
Thor (2011) (Theater) **
My Thoughts: I was never really into the character of Thor so it's not all that surprising that the movie didn't really do it for me. The stuff in Valhalla was cool, Natalie Portman was cute if playing a bit of a generic character but I just couldn't get into it. I wasn't really feeling the actor, although compared to the TV movie with Bill Bixby it was an improvement and all the parts set on Earth seemed lacking somehow like they were all tiny sets or something. Basically "Meh" but with some pretty.
(3 out of 5)
My Wife's Thoughts: "I don't care about it, I'm so tired. I don't like it, disappointed, glad to watch the dollar movie ($3.75 each for 3-D) I don't pay full price for that. Too kiddie, I expected a little more and of course tired but still."
(2.0 out of 5)
- July 14th -
18.) - 19.)
Tremors: The Series S01E11-13 (2003) (DVD) *
My Thoughts: 2 decent creature features and one of the worst season finales I have ever seen round out this series in a disappointing swan song. I can see why Sci-Fi did shuffle this one around. Everyones favorite characters was basically a no show on these last 3 episodes (my favorite is the little asian shopkeep though). And the finale was so so disappointing, a continuation of my other least favorite episode in the series consisting of the mob going after El Blanco, sigh. I am still slightly optimistic about Tremors 5, if they can ever get it off the ground and bring some names back.
(3 out of 5)
- July 15th -
20.) - 21.)
Fringe S03E05-08 (2011) (Internet) *
My Thoughts: The parallel worlds Olivia jumping comes to an exciting head. I am feeling a but redundant with my constant gushing over this series but it is indeed great. I wonder if the sitcom like sci-fi shows are dead. The Incredible Hulks or Star Treks in favor of this over story arc. It does have diminishing returns in that once someone misses a few episodes they are very lost but they are so so much more satisfying.
(4 out of 5)
- July 16th -
22.)
Timecrimes (2007) (DVD) *
My Thoughts: One of the best time travel movies I have seen in awhile. Reminds me of Primer but with no annoying characters. So far this is my pick of the challenge, just a completely satisfying blind buy, something that seems to have gotten more illusive over the years.
(4.5 out of 5)
- July 17th -
23.)
Sherlock Holmes (2010) (Blu-Ray) **
My Thoughts: Robert Downey Jr. was great as he has been in everything for the past half decade or so. The movie it's self was also fun but as a Sherlock Holmes movie it didn't quite ring true to me. For departures on the Holmes formula I quite like Michael Cain's Without A Clue much better. Don't get me wrong I had a great time with this it just didn't feel like Sherlock Homes.
(4 out of 5)
My Wife's Thoughts: "I expected something else. Jude Law is good but Robert Dountry Jr, he think everything the same, Iron Man. He is not great actor he cannot change the rolls. It's exactly same, I don't care about that. Didn't know that that was a guy Richie Film, interesting.
(3.5 out of 5)
- July 18th -
24.)
Fringe S03E09-10 (2011) (Internet) *
My Thoughts: Still a couple of good episodes but I really thought Fringe was above the cliched have to keep the couple apart to keep thins interesting paradigm. I really hope they don't run this into the ground Rachel and Ross style. This was even a problem with Lost but here they do try a similar triangle thing to try and keep it fresh but still. I shouldn't be thinking about plot structure, I should just be enjoying the show!
(3.5 out of 5)
- July 19th -
25.)
Fringe S03E11-12 (2011) (Internet) *
My Thoughts: 2 basically throw away episodes. Still fun as they are set in the Fringe-verse but like lost I sometimes find myself inpatient with episodes that aren't more plot heavy. I have fallen a bit behind in my reviews at this point (currently the 28th) and looking back they don't seems like great episodes but as I remember when I was watching them I was enthralled just like every other episode of Fringe.
(3.5 out of 5)
- July 21st -
26.)
Fantastic Argoman (1967) (DVD) *
My Thoughts: The primes is basically Bond if he were a telekinetic Japanese superhero that everyone thought was a super villain. This is easily going to be my WTF Did I Just Watch pick of the challenge. Aside from the ridiculous costume, the muscle free super hero, the Godzilla movie dubbing... well not that I think about it it is almost like a bad episode of the 60's Batman tv series, a really bad episode. Also the VHS quality transfer on this Kick Ass Heroes set didn't help either.
(2 out of 5)
- July 22nd -
27.)
Jumper (2008) (Blu-Ray)
My Thoughts: I was actually under the impression that I had only seen just bits and pieces of this before but nope, seen it all. Not sure what kind of recommendation that warrants but I did have fun with this one. A friend once described this to me as Nightcrawler the movie, and he wasn't too far off base. Hayden Christiansen does get annoying from time to time and I do end up liking the second string characters much more than him but it's gorgeous to look at and fun in a Transformers sort of way and probably one I will end up revisiting in the future.
(3.5 out of 5)

Commentary
28.)
Commentary For Jumper (2008) (Blu-Ray)
My Thoughts: I usually prefer cast commentaries as I feel that over the past 10 years or so I have gotten my fill of the creative, film making aspect. This one was different though, it was heavy on adaptation from the graphic novel/comic book and on the creative aspects of flushish out the universe. Also I always enjoy hearing about planned sequels that will never come to fruition. If you didn't hate the source I would definably recommend checking this one out.
(3.5 out of 5)
- July 23rd -
29.)
Elektra (2005) (DVD) **
My Thoughts: I missed this one the first time around and now after actually having seen it, I guess I didn't miss much. Elektra is not a character I really care about and Jennifer Gardener isn't really an actress I particularly like. SHe was fine in Daredevil and in fact the first 15 minutes of this movie were surprisingly awesome. But then they do this hackneyed assassin that grows a heart bit with some lameish villains, it just doesn't work for me. Too far removed to be enjoyable Marvel faire, also I think this was the last live action Marvel film not to have a post credits scene (which is odd considering Daredevil did).
(2.5 out of 5)
My Wife's Thoughts: "Pretty good, I can give 3.5 star. But need more story wise. Not sure why they attack. Jennifer Garner did pretty good job but story wise need ma little more detail, just fighting fighting finish. Not bad...
(3.5 out of 5)
More →
Part II Or Scroll ↓

Last edited by SterlingBen; 07-29-11 at 06:33 PM.