American Idol, Top 8, April 13/14. Theme = Show Tunes

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 04-12-11, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wednesday, April 13: 90 minute performance show, 8/7c
Thursday, April 14: 60 minute results show, 8/7c.

Performing on Thursday will be Rihanna, and Kelly Clarkson / Jason Aldean. Clarkson & Aldean will be performing their country duet, “Don’t You Wanna Stay”:

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/SyUZQodw_wY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

David Cook will be on the show next week (Top 7 results show) to perform his new single, “The Last Goodbye”. He has a new album coming out in June.

Here’s an interesting piece from MJ’s Blog (www.mjsbigblog.com) which includes the tidbit that Carrie Underwood led the votes every single week.

Nigel Lythgoe Addresses Idol Voting Conspiracy Theories (Plus S10 Charts on iTunes

By mj On 04/12/2011 • 15 Comments • In American Idol, American Idol 10, Nigel Lythgoe

In light of the recent “shocking” elimination of Pia Toscano, Nigel spoke out Tuesday at the HRTS Newsmakers Luncheon Series about Idol‘s voting system and why the exact number of votes each contestant receives is kept from viewers…

Nigel…went on to explain why viewers will never know the exact number of votes each contestant receives. “Let’s take the Carrie Underwood season. Carrie Underwood won every single week,” he said. “You show the vote and the show is over. There’s no jeopardy if you’re watching somebody win every single week.”

So, instead of transparency, Nigel leaks info about which of the Idols are leading the pack to TMZ, while also minimizing Pia’s importance to the competition. As if that didn’t affect the competition.

“There are always conspiracy theories, but you know we are so careful,” Nigel said. “[Voting is] done through AT&T and we get the results. It’s done so openly. We’ve got all the terrible things happening around the world with Libya, with Japan and what’s everyone talking about? ‘How did Pia get voted off?’”

Oh c’mon all this handwringing is good for the show. Thou Dost Protest Too Much Nigel.

Probably bored with dissing Simon Cowell’s X Factor, Nigel moves on to taking digs at NBC’s competitive reality show, The Voice:

“After the initial stage of that, the gag’s over,” he said. “I mean that’s it. Once you’ve chosen your people, you know what they look like and then it’s straight mentoring. I don’t know the program, but the concept is you choose the voice by not seeing them. So you can pick a Susan Boyle—Shrek’s older sister, you can pick the voice and then you mentor that person. So once that first initial week is over, then it becomes a normal mentoring show.”

Actually…I think Nigel’s got a point. The Voice is pimping itself on gimmick and star power (with Xtina, Cee Lo and Adam Levine on the judges’ panel). We’ll see if it can really deliver.

Speaking of transparency? Baby steps. Idol is allowing iTunes to chart the sales of their weekly Idol iTunes compilations. The Top 9 collection came in at #9 this week.
Speaking of top vote getters… the top vote getters each week this year are the two I had picked at the start of this thing to be the final two: Scott McCreery and Lauren Alaina. There's a large segment of viewers who like country music which is probably why Clarkson and Aldean will be performing this week.

Source = TMZ http://www.tmz.com/2011/04/12/americ..._lnk3%7C209573

The other top vote getters are Jacob Lusk, Casey Abrams, and James Durbin.

Speaking of TMZ, here’ a picture not related to American Idol but worth posting. This is Rachel Uchitel, aka Tiger Woods mistress #1.
http://ll-media.tmz.com/2011/04/12/0...-v2-credit.jpg
Old 04-13-11, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: American Idol, Top 8, April 13/14. Theme = Show Tunes

If Jacob sings that fucking song from Dreamgirls, I will kill somebody.
Old 04-13-11, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
If Jacob sings that fucking song from Dreamgirls, I will kill somebody.
You mean that Jennifer Hudson song that is so fucking played out? Yeah I agree. I will turn off the TV if he sings that.
Old 04-13-11, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 182 Likes on 147 Posts

I'm hoping someone sings Against All Odds, I Don't Want to Miss a Thing, or Have You Ever Loved a Woman. I don't think I've ever heard those songs on Idol.
Old 04-13-11, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If Jacob is in the bottom three this week, it'll only be due to the fact that America doesn't like arrogant African-American homosexuals.
Old 04-13-11, 07:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mwbmis
I'm hoping someone sings Against All Odds, I Don't Want to Miss a Thing, or Have You Ever Loved a Woman. I don't think I've ever heard those songs on Idol.
I think they mean Broadway show tunes, not movie songs.

And I can't remember who, but I think "Have You Ever Loved a Woman" has been performed on "Idol".
Old 04-13-11, 07:16 PM

Old Time Rock and Roll......

The Horror....The Horror.........
Old 04-13-11, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 182 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by rkndkn
I think they mean Broadway show tunes, not movie songs.

And I can't remember who, but I think "Have You Ever Loved a Woman" has been performed on "Idol".
No, it was songs from the movies. As for Have You Ever Loved a Woman being performed before. Correct, my post was meant to be tongue in cheek. The songs are sung on Idol pretty much every year.
Old 04-13-11, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

please get rid of Jacob already. fuck i'm sick of him.
Old 04-13-11, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 255 Likes on 163 Posts

How do I vote for Zakk Wylde?
Old 04-13-11, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GuessWho
How do I vote for Zakk Wylde?

That was pretty cool. Was a great choice for a song from James and he did it justice. Easily my favorite of the night.
Old 04-13-11, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow, they almost criticized Haley, almost.
Old 04-13-11, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by brizz
please get rid of Jacob already. fuck i'm sick of him.
I also can't stand him. He is too arrogant and I hope he is gone before the top 3.
Old 04-13-11, 11:35 PM

I had to laugh at Scotty when he said his usual "country roots" bs.
Old 04-13-11, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by starman9000
Wow, they almost criticized Haley, almost.
yeah, way to "protect" the remaining 2 girls by giving her the only criticism of the night. They really must want this sausagefest.
Old 04-13-11, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I caught a few of the performances on youtube, but my problem is that my son is now in a baseball league with Wednesday night games - I think I'm going to miss the rest of the performance shows. And he has practice on Thursday nights.

And I'm sticking by my original prediction of Lauren Alaina winning, with Scott McCreery coming in second.

Speaking of which, since I'll be missing most of the rest of the season, if anybody else wants to take over the posting of the weekly thread, be my guest.
Old 04-14-11, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

Can we send Jimmy Iovine and will.i.am home instead? Seriously, two of the most useless 'mentors' ever. Where's the hook in Heavy Metal? A horrible Phil Collins ballad instead of Nat King Cole? How dare you call me dude? Even the judges seem to be saying don't listen to these guys.
Old 04-14-11, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I predict Steven Tyler proposes to Lauren Alaina on the season finale. It's almost uncomfortable to listen to his comments to her each and every week.
Old 04-14-11, 11:49 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I know they stretch the limits of their own themes all the time, but to qualify "Bridge Over Troubled Water" because it appeared in "The Pursuit of Happyness" makes the whole theme a bit pointless. You could pretty much pick any song at that point because if just about every classic song has been in a movie at some point.
Old 04-14-11, 12:01 PM
Political Exile

Originally Posted by Eddie W
Can we send Jimmy Iovine and will.i.am home instead? Seriously, two of the most useless 'mentors' ever. Where's the hook in Heavy Metal? A horrible Phil Collins ballad instead of Nat King Cole? How dare you call me dude? Even the judges seem to be saying don't listen to these guys.
This is the first season I've ever watched but I have to agree
Old 04-14-11, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

season is fading fast, had high hopes but the past few weeks and too much iovine, he is a shmoe, and will i am, thought he was a one week guy now he is permanent?

cant wait for x-factor...

i like durbin and scotty, lauren is also very good.... that would be a solid final 3...
Old 04-14-11, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I find Scotty real hard to look at and take seriously, as he reminds me of some combo of Alfred E. Neuman, Howdy Doody, and Clay Aiken's slightly less gay brother from the prairie. He does have a great country music voice, though.

I think I'm pulling for Lauren, Casey, and James Durbin at this point.
Old 04-14-11, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Durbin kind of hooked me slightly last night when he brought out Zakk and the whole thing almost sounded like metal. I still wish total vocal paralysis on Scotty. That kid almost made me puke last night. Literally.. (I was drinking...)
Old 04-14-11, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SexualPudding
I find Scotty real hard to look at and take seriously, as he reminds me of some combo of Alfred E. Neuman, Howdy Doody, and Clay Aiken's slightly less gay brother from the prairie. He does have a great country music voice, though.
in addition to just being damned goofy looking, the way he holds the mike and tilts his head sideways drives me fucking crazy. I just want to smack him.

and has anyone else noticed that Haley has no physical rhythm whatsoever? she's wooden as hell and looks incredibly awkward whenever she tries to move with the song she's performing. it's bizarre.
Old 04-14-11, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Scotty will need to do that cowboy hat over the face thing to have success.

Watching tonight, I'd say Lauren and James have the only chance at stardom, Scotty might sell some records, but he doesn't have "it". Casey has talent, but I doubt he'll listen to the right people and stop growling and adding "Ayahs" to the end of every line. I could see Paul actually getting some hits, even though he was mostly awful on here.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.