View Single Post
Old 03-24-11, 11:13 AM   #13
SterlingBen
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: LIST THREAD 2nd Annual Drive-In/Exploitation/B-Movie Challenge March 31-April 30

Goal: 75
Legend:
First Time Views *
Watched With Wife *
- March 31st -
1.)
Super Mario Bros. (1993) (DVD)
My Thoughts: Ok, so yes this movie is ridiculously bad but as a child of the 80's/90's I have a bit of a soft spot for it. The movie is like Alien From LA meets The Adventures Of Pluto Nash, interesting to look at but with a plot and acting that is impossible to take seriously. Bob Hoskins was pretty good as Mario though and it has just enough Nintendo references to make it bearable, for a fan at least.
(2.5 out of 5)
IMDB Score: 3.8 out of 10
- April 1st -
2.)
Blood of Dracula's Castle (1967) (DVD) *
From The Mill Creek Gore House Greats Set
My Thoughts: A couple of bourgeois Vampires, a murderer, a hunchback and their butler rent a small castle in the American southwest. And when their land lord dies the new owners decide to evict them. This movie is seriously cheese factor 5 with a propensity to linger on random non-essential scenes. Feels like a Hammer ripoff made by a company that typically does beach movies.
(2 out of 5)
IMDB Score: 2.6 out of 10
- April 2nd -

3.)

Cabin In The Sky (1943) (DVD) *
My Thoughts: An all black religion-based musical about a gambler that gets a second chance on life after getting shot. Man, even black people in the 40's can dance better than me. This one seems mostly wholesome but gets really weird/racist/ridiculousness at times (especially at the end). I did like how all the black demons had their afros twisted into horns and the black angels were all dressed like doormen. All that being said the music was actually quite good and for the most part and still catchy 64 years later.
(3.5 out of 5)
IMDB Score: 7.1 out of 10
- April 3rd -

4.)

Hellraiser: Hellworld (2005) (DVD) *
My Thoughts: I was predisposed to hate this one but I actually kinda liked it. Having seen 6 of the 9 Hellraiser films they just seem to hold up better over time due to the flexibility of the shall we say the running theme, as opposed to the other horror names. Truth be told I am pretty sure the last 4 or so films started out as other properties and had Pinhead shoehorned in but that is kind of the appeal of these latest entries. Still it doesn't hold a candle to the first one, is somewhat derivative (blatantly stealing from several other genre flicks), and has a horribly mismatched outro song which bumped my score down half a point.
(3 out of 5)
IMDB Score: 4.3 out of 10

Commentary

5.)

Commentary "Hellraiser: Hellworld" (2005) (DVD) *
My Thoughts: More entertaining than the actual movie. This crew commentary chronicles the making of Hellraiser: Hellword and Hellraiser: Deader as shot back to back in a double bill in Romania. The crew is really likable, entertaining and even funny at times. They also tend to lapse into talking about The Prophecy 4 & 5 which some (or all?) of them helped make (also in Romania).
(4.5 out of 5)
IMDB Movie Score: 4.3 out of 10

6.)

Blood Mania (1970) (DVD) *
My Thoughts: A crappy melodrama with a little nudity, drugs and murder sprinkled in. The acting is laughably bad, it's got those weird quick jump 60's murders/rapes/flashback scenes and death by poppers! This movie is a perfect match for this challenge but otherwise perfectly forgettable.
(2 out of 5)
IMDB Score: 3.2 out of 10

7.)

Concrete Cowboys (1979) (DVD) **
From The St. Clair Vision Star Power Set
My Thoughts: Magnum P.I. and the Snowman are 2 country boys that go to the big city and get mixed up in a murder investigation. A decent paint by numbers made for TV movie, amusing at times but ultimately forgettable.
(3 out of 5)
My Wife's Thoughts: "Just old movie, easy to guess the ending. I think Bandit is also there too, that is also Bandit. Are you recording, what are you doing creepy?"
(3 out of 5)

IMDB Score: 4.9 out of 10
- April 4th -

8.)

That Man Bolt (1973) (DVD) *
My Thoughts: Easily one of the best blacksploitation action films I have ever seen. It is basically Shaft as Bond. The only problem is that they stick too closely to the Bond formula and loose some of the things that make blacksploitation titles great, like boobs and the occasional over the top violence. This is a title that is going to get some re-play in my house.
(4 out of 5)
IMDB Score: 5.2 out of 10

9.)

Dr. Giggles (1993) (DVD) **
My Thoughts: The cheese is strong with this one. I can't believe I have never seen this before. I once heard someone say this was the antithesis of what was wrong with horror genre in the early 90's but I can't disagree more, this one was fun from start to finish, stupid fun yes, but fun none the less.
(4 out of 5)
My Wife's Thoughts: "The doctor butt-ugly, I have never seen that ugly actor ever. He looks butt-ugly man, I cannot belive he is an actor. Too much murder gross, it's kinda guess too whats going to happen, need a little more story wise. He just kill the people."
(3 out of 5)

IMDB Score: 4.4 out of 10
- April 6th -

10.)

Terrified! (1963) (DVD) *
My Thoughts: An above average slasher predecessor. Much more that what I was expecting from something out of this box set. Very 50's feeling movie with an early 70's-style villain. A must for fans of the genre.
(3.5 out of 5)
IMDB Score: 4.2 out of 10

11.)

Collateral Damage (2002) (DVD) **
My Thoughts: I have always considered this the last picture in what I remember as the fall of Arnold, something which started 6 years earlier with the ill-fated Eraser. When this film originally came out it had unpleasant current connotations. Looking back now it is an acceptable action film but it is not the fun kind I have come to love and expect from the Governator.
(3.5 out of 5)
My Wife's Thoughts: "It's almost same everything boom boom boom die. And terrorist too CSI or CIA easy to read the story, all of his movie like that."
(4 out of 5)

IMDB Score: 5.2 out of 10
- April 8th -

12.)

A Swingin' Summer (1965) (Internet) *
My Thoughts: Having only seen parodies of this sub-genre before I was kind of surprised that this movie turned out almost exactly how I would have expected. Basically bikinis, dancing, live performances and some totally inept bad guys. Fun to look at even if it is lacking on the thinking side of things. Also a 30 second close up of a gyrating bikini clad butt kind of loses it's appeal when they are in granny panty sized bottoms.
(2 out of 5)
IMDB Score: 4.6 out of 10

13.)

The Outlaw Josey Wales (1976) (DVD) *
My Thoughts: Clint Eastwood kills people (a lot of people) and makes some friends along the way. Not quite up to a Leone level but a very satisfying western. Would have been better if he haddn't have gotten Squaw-Jacked.
(4 out of 5)
IMDB Score: 7.8 out of 10
- April 9th -

14.)

Maybe I'll Come Home In The Spring (1971) (DVD) **
From The St. Clair Vision Star Power Set
My Thoughts: Sally Field is especially hot, as is her sister and is haunted by her past (see: flashbacks of hippy David Carridine doing drugs and dumpster diving) druggie runaway returns home tale. This one is on the nose camp, laugh out loud funny and a 70's timecapsule to boot. Go see this one. Coincidentally my DVD died about 20 mins in so don't buy this set, just head over to Archive.org (although she is not nearly as hot in the lower resolution).
(4 out of 5)
My Wife's Thoughts: "Strange, (I) like happy ending but no no. Sad, parents such problem. Bill is like he doesn't have to act like the way he is, he's hippy. Sally Field is good actress as always."
(3.5 out of 5)

IMDB Score: 6.7 out of 10
- April 10th -

15.)

Nightmare In Wax (1969) (DVD) *
My Thoughts: A wax museum horror meets horror on the movie set. This one put me to sleep twice but the parts I was awake during were somewhat entertaining even reaching Something Weird Video levels at times. Although I fail to see how the creepy looking lead can me so popular with the ladies and how the effects can be worse than the Vincent Price wax-horror that came out some 16 years earlier.
(2 out of 5)
IMDB Score: 2.7 out of 10
- April 11th -

16.)

Hero At Large (1980) (DVD) * (Wildcard #1)
My Thoughts: It's like Kick Ass, done in the 80's, with John Ritter, oh and it's a romantic comedy. Despite that and a pension to a be little ridiculous and even TV-movie-esk at times this is actually a pretty good movie. This film is also a 1 degree of Bacon, a very young Bacon.
(3.5 out of 5)
IMDB Score: 6.0 out of 10
- April 12th -

17.)

The Madmen of Mandoras (1963) (DVD) *
My Thoughts: Mistaken online for They Saved Hitlers Brain due to release date and subject matter, in this one they saved his whole head! This would really have been a perfect candidate for MST3K, it has that mix of silly and serious that seems to be their cornerstone of parody goodness. That being said it does under preform a bit considering the subject matter.
(3 out of 5)
IMDB Score: 2.4 out of 10
- April 13th -

18.) & 19.)

Godzilla Vs Space Godzilla (1994) (DVD) *
Godzilla Vs Destroyah (1995) (DVD) *
My Thoughts: The first one was a more run of the mill Godzilla flick, it seems like it is always going to be an average or below average one if there is a baby Godzilla in the mix. The second one is far and away a better picture, the effects seemed better, the plot and monster villain were better and there was also this awesome Aliens homage moment in the film.
(3 out of 5) (Space Godzilla)
IMDB Score: 5.3 out of 10
(4 out of 5) (Destroyah)
IMDB Score: 6.3 out of 10
- April 14th -

20.)

Stanley (1972) (DVD) *
My Thoughts: An Indian with a pension for snakes gets pushed too far and ends up using said snakes to seek his revenge. The whole movie is just weird and just when you think it has plateaued on the weirdness it gets even weirder. I should note that there are non simulated snake killings, which might be a problem for some.
(3.5 out of 5)
- April 15th -

21.)

Surf Ninjas (1993) (DVD)
My Thoughts: Ah the 90's; inept ninjas, that asian kid from TMNTII, GameGear, Surfing, a 30 year old Rob Schneider playing a teenager, nostalgia... Is the movie stupid at times, ok at all times, yes. But it's just fun, this was fun when I was a kid and it's still kind of fun even as an "adult". Would I have liked this movie if it came out now? No, probably not. Those just be my roots. Also coincidentally this movie got me to rent Surf Nazis Must Die back in the day (it was my first non-Toxie Troma movie).
(3 out of 5)
- April 16th -

22.)

Lip Service (2000) (DVD)*
My Thoughts: I met Kari Wuhrer once when I was 16, it's still a life regret that I did not mention to her that 16 was the age of consent in Oklahoma. Unfortunately this old budget DVD only made it only about 20 minutes before becoming unplayable. So since I can't grade the movie I will grade Ms. Wuhrer. This is Wuhrer at the end of her pentacle of hotness, just a few years before she starts showing her age. I am rating her a 7 compared to the rest of her career and if this movie had shown her assets, in the portion I saw, they probably would have gotten an additional point each.
(- out of 5)
(7 out of 10) Wuhrer Scale
My Wife's Thoughts: "Movie didn't complete, pretty good but tease. She's like Alexz (mutual friend), but we just watch 20 minutes. Only chapters 1 through 4, thats tease!"
(- out of 5)

IMDB Score: 5.9 out of 10
- April 17th -

23.)

Terror (1978) (DVD)*
My Thoughts: A witch makes good on an centuries old curse in modern day London. The first 3/4ths of the film are done whodunit slasher-style and then it just turns into a cheap version of the end battle from Empire. On the outset this one does feel a little classier but thats only becasue people are talking with British accents, past that it's just standard B-horror fair.
(3 out of 5)
IMDB Score: 5.0 out of 10
- April 18th -

24.)

Return Of The Living Dead 5: Rave To The Grave (2005) (DVD)*
My Thoughts: The worst of the ROTLD series (even taking into consideration the first part of this double bill shoot; Necropolis) by far. In this chapter, with it's frustrating new mythos, some college kids find a barrel and decide to turn it into a party drug, naturally. It does get a half point bump for all the naked Romanian girls but this one is as brain dead as the characters portrayed in it.
(2 out of 5)
IMDB Score: 3.1 out of 10

25.)

Police Academy 5: Assignment Miami Beach (1988) (DVD)
My Thoughts: Huh, just realized I watched Police Academy 5 after ROTLD 5. Anyway I can remember as a kid this being the first Police Academy I was disappointed with and that is still holding true for me on this revisit. Didn't crack a smile the whole time, PA 4 was lame too but it at least had a funny 80's rap and some Bobcat in love.
(1.5 out of 5)
IMDB Score: 3.1 out of 10
More →
Part II Or ↓

Last edited by SterlingBen; 04-22-11 at 11:42 AM.