Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Miramax's HALLOWEEN/CHILDREN OF THE CORN/HELLRAISERs coming to Blu via Echo Bridge

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Miramax's HALLOWEEN/CHILDREN OF THE CORN/HELLRAISERs coming to Blu via Echo Bridge

Old 02-17-11, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/news/23518

Originally Posted by BloodyDisgusting.com
In the latest deal to exploit its library, Miramax has entered into a domestic distribution agreement to have Echo Bridge Entertainment distribute 251 of its titles on DVD and Blu-ray. The films include selected titles from such franchises as Halloween, Hellraiser and Children Of The Corn!!

Echo Bridge chairman and president Michael Rosenblatt said they were excited about adding these titles to their library became “many have tremendous star power and are cult classics.”
Miramax CEO Mike Lang said that although many of these movies have been around for years “in many cases” they “have never been fully exploited.”

Lang was appointed CEO this year by the Filmyard Holdings which acquired the Miramax name and nearly 700-title library from Disney late last year for $663 million. The new Miramax has focused on distribution and exploitation of the library but so far has not moved into distribution, although it did make a deal with the Weinstein Co. to license or joint venture on some remakes.
Sigh. I guess we can give up hope of Halloween 6 Producer's Cut then, can't we?
Old 02-17-11, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Miramax's HALLOWEEN/CHILDREN OF THE CORN/HELLRAISERs coming to Blu via Echo Bridg

Has Echo Bridge done any worthwhile blus to date? This is a serious question as I can't think of any of their releases. Was the Gamera double feature by them?

Really bummed that this pretty much takes away any chance of a H6 producer's cut. I'd like to see a full list of what they have now. Most of the Hellraiser sequels and Children of the Corn don't interest me.
Old 02-17-11, 07:08 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Re: Miramax's HALLOWEEN/CHILDREN OF THE CORN/HELLRAISERs coming to Blu via Echo Bridg

WTF? Not Anchor Bay?
Old 02-17-11, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I wish we could get a full list of the titles sold to Echo Bridge. I hope this means cheap, high quality releases and not "cheap" releases...
Old 02-17-11, 07:28 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by GenPion
I wish we could get a full list of the titles sold to Echo Bridge. I hope this means cheap, high quality releases and not "cheap" releases...
Its Echo Bridge. You expect titles that typically sell for $7 to be good?
Old 02-17-11, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GenPion
Sadly, they are not going to be high quality with Echo Bridge.
Old 02-17-11, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They release all the Asylum movies on Blu-ray. Good news is they should retail for around $9.99 and be available for $5. If they use the same transfers as the canadian version then we should be ok. Maybe they will release them as single releases instead of 3 films on a single disc.

I wouldn't mind alot of the lesser Miramax/Dimension titles coming out in cheap Blu-ray versions as long as the audio and video are good enough. Maybe they can release The Crow sequels.

The only downside to Echo bride is they usually are bare bones movie only versions So I doubt any of the extras from the DVDs will be included
Old 02-17-11, 08:21 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by JJE-187
They release all the Asylum movies on Blu-ray. Good news is they should retail for around $9.99 and be available for $5. If they use the same transfers as the canadian version then we should be ok. Maybe they will release them as single releases instead of 3 films on a single disc.

I wouldn't mind alot of the lesser Miramax/Dimension titles coming out in cheap Blu-ray versions as long as the audio and video are good enough. Maybe they can release The Crow sequels.

The only downside to Echo bride is they usually are bare bones movie only versions So I doubt any of the extras from the DVDs will be included
I think Extras depends if the new owners of Dimension/Mirimax were given rights to it. Not 100% sure how this all works. I'm not really an extra's guy, but it would suck for some of these films.

But meh. I already have the Canadian Halloween disc, and the Corn sequels all sucked. I'd love Halloween II/4/5, but I know that's Universal/Anchor Bay.
Old 02-17-11, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

IIRC, the way the deal went down, Miramax owns everything produced by Miramax. Films, television shows, bonus material, you name it. If Miramax financed and produced it, it is now owned by Lang and company. However, most of these films when released on DVD by Buena Vista were almost all bare bones affairs. No extras to speak of, most didn't even have a theatrical trailer.

Like everyone else, I'm pissed that Lang couldn't have partnered with another company... like Anchor Bay or Lionsgate who are already in deals with them. Why they didn't do that, I don't know.

What I do know is that the single title I own by Echo Bridge is actually pretty good despite being a budget release. The Gamera double feature consists of the first two (reboot) films from the nineties sharing a single dual-layered disc, but the films are given enough room to breathe allowing for good video quality and even better audio quality (DTS-HD MA 5.1). There's no bonus materials to speak of, but for the fact there's a quality release of two Toho films on Blu-ray in the United States is fucking shocking. For the fact it cost me five dollars is even more shocking.

Rumor is the Ernest Triple Feature on DVD that Echo Bridge released last month looks spectacular too... now using the adjective spectacular in comparison to the fucking Ernest franchise may be deceiving, but that's what I've heard (and we will see a Blu-ray double feature of that in a few weeks per my thread earlier this month).

I want to know what the 251 titles were. Dimension Films were the distributor of 120+ films before The Weinstein Company took control. While I'm sure some key titles will not be touched by Echo Bridge (and rather Lionsgate a la Scream), what are the others?
Old 02-17-11, 08:55 PM
Suspended

So a lot of this stuff will just be randomly split up between two studios. So freaking weird. Why wouldn't Lionsgate want the Halloween films? I can see passing on some of the DTV Trash that Echo Bridge typically releases, but even if Halloween 6 is a crappy film, it still moves units because of a core fanbase.
Old 02-17-11, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Like any major studio allows other companies to distribute them? Lionsgate may not want to release such Dimension Films theatrical classes like, fuck, half of the films they actually released, but that doesn't mean another company won't treat those regarded titles right.

Example #1: Paramount and Lionsgate's deal to distribute lesser titles on DVD/BD. Who would've thought we'd see high quality releases of say The Phantom and The Relic? In the case of the latter, new bonus material was even produced. I wonder if this deal had any influence on Coppola's decision on moving all of the American Zoetrope films to Lionsgate for release on DVD/BD?

Example #2: Sony and Image. Wait, let's not speak of that until we actually see the titles that Image releases first.

Remember, Anchor Bay was a nobody when they first started to distribute Disney titles first hand that they didn't want to spend the time and/or money releasing. Look what happened there. Disney got pissed off they were putting out better DVD releases than them and decided not to renew (or from what I heard, pulled) their contact with them. [The title that really pissed Disney off and ended the contract was The Watcher In The Woods.]
Old 02-17-11, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Ahhhh shit, that's bad news....
Old 02-17-11, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Its Echo Bridge. You expect titles that typically sell for $7 to be good?
Granted its dvd, but the Ernest 3 pack that is 5 bucks at Best Buy is of surprisingly high quality. I don't think those movies have ever looked as good as they do now
Old 02-17-11, 09:34 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I can't tell if this is good news or bad news.
Old 02-17-11, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

1. I fucked up, Mill Creek released Gamera and Ernest. Not Echo Bridge.
2. Echo Bridge is an entirely different company.
3. Unfortunately for us, Mill Creek's Blu-ray record runs circles around Echo Bridge.
4. I thought maybe that Echo Bridge bought Mill Creek, but they bought out First Look Studios... who also has a terrible Blu-ray track record.

So as of right now, the deal stands that we, as a consumer, are fucked.

[And here I was looking to some sweet, cheap double features.]

I'm doing my homework on this deal. What I've found out:

Almost all of the franchises that Dimension has ever put out were sent to Echo Bridge as part of their distribution deal. This includes:

- Children of the Corn sequels (there's five sequels Dimension put out).
- From Dusk till Dawn trilogy (why Bloody Disgusting didn't mention this...)
- Halloween (Dimension only made three sequels).
- Hellraiser (Dimension put out the last six).
- The Mimic trilogy.
- Pokemon (Miramax owned the rights to entries part four to seven).
- The Prophecy quadrilogy.

Now there are some franchises that are "safe" with Lionsgate:

- Anything involved with the name Kevin Smith.
- Scary Movie
- Scream
- Spy Kids

I wonder why...

The only Miramax titles that have been mentioned so far include:

- Marvin’s Room
- Music of the Heart
- Tsotsi (can't wait to see in the trade marketing, "From the director of Wolverine!")
- Becoming Jane

What happens with From Dusk Till Dawn will set the tone with what happens with the other titles. If they release it as a special edition a la DVD, we may be safe. If they release it bare bones, prepared to be boned.
Old 02-17-11, 09:55 PM

was 'The Faculty' a Dimension release?

what's happening with the Miriam collection titles?
Old 02-17-11, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Faculty was. No mention on who owns the rights (Echo or Lionsgate), but Alliance put out a decent (but bare bones) release of it on Blu-ray up north with a 1080p transfer and DTS-HD MA 5.1.

The Miriam Collection was made by The Weinstein Company, not Miramax/Dimension.
Old 02-17-11, 10:00 PM

Shout Factory put in a nice bid for these films... but Echo Bridge came up with more cash.
So, as you can tell by that, they wanted money more than they wanted their product given quality releases. I can understand them wanting to make money, but we would have done a much better job with the films.
Oh well... get ready for some real low budget, no extra releases!
Old 02-17-11, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
The Faculty was. No mention on who owns the rights (Echo or Lionsgate), but Alliance put out a decent (but bare bones) release of it on Blu-ray up north with a 1080p transfer and DTS-HD MA 5.1.

The Miriam Collection was made by The Weinstein Company, not Miramax/Dimension.
I'm just livid that they don't give a toss of releasing their product on bluray, I really really want 'El Cid' and 'The Fall of the Roman Empire' on blu.

but I digress.
Old 02-17-11, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by cdmac2007
Shout Factory put in a nice bid for these films... but Echo Bridge came up with more cash.
So, as you can tell by that, they wanted money more than they wanted their product given quality releases. I can understand them wanting to make money, but we would have done a much better job with the films.
Oh well... get ready for some real low budget, no extra releases!
If Shout Factory would've released them, what would we have seen? Half of the films would've been released on Blu-ray while the other ones would just get a DVD re-release?

Don't get me wrong, I love Shout Factory and own quite a few of their DVDs, but how the Corman titles were released haven't done a great job convincing me of a successful track record with BD.

If Blue Underground can release obscure titles on BD with almost all featuring brand new, 2K restorations... well, then everyone else can too. I'll pay the extra few dollars for a great looking and sounding BD than a mediocre looking BD. What I feel will happen in the case of Echo Bridge is that nobody will give a shit and we will see the same D5 masters rehashed a la Alliance. Which I'm okay with if I can score it for five bucks or below, but it's 2011 and Blu-ray will be the last physical media we probably own... so let's fix that issue and own these titles the best possible way they can look in 1080p.
Old 02-17-11, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
If Shout Factory would've released them, what would we have seen? Half of the films would've been released on Blu-ray while the other ones would just get a DVD re-release?

Don't get me wrong, I love Shout Factory and own quite a few of their DVDs, but how the Corman titles were released haven't done a great job convincing me of a successful track record with BD.

If Blue Underground can release obscure titles on BD with almost all featuring brand new, 2K restorations... well, then everyone else can too. I'll pay the extra few dollars for a great looking and sounding BD than a mediocre looking BD. What I feel will happen in the case of Echo Bridge is that nobody will give a shit and we will see the same D5 masters rehashed a la Alliance. Which I'm okay with if I can score it for five bucks or below, but it's 2011 and Blu-ray will be the last physical media we probably own... so let's fix that issue and own these titles the best possible way they can look in 1080p.

I think the Shout Factory Corman blus are pretty damn sweet
Old 02-17-11, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by SethDLH
I think the Shout Factory Corman blus are pretty damn sweet
I agree. I'm just disappointed that they don't have any more on the horizon, other than Battle Beyond the Stars.
Old 02-17-11, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

They are but the pick and choose which titles get a Blu-ray release and most people would prefer that all of them get Blu-ray releases and not just a choice few
Old 02-17-11, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by NoirFan
I agree. I'm just disappointed that they don't have any more on the horizon, other than Battle Beyond the Stars.
Originally Posted by JJE-187
They are but the pick and choose which titles get a Blu-ray release and most people would prefer that all of them get Blu-ray releases and not just a choice few
I'll agree with these posts.
Old 02-17-11, 11:43 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by NoirFan
And wasn't that a delayed title in the first place? Shout! appears to have given up on Blu-ray

But cdmac is probably right, Shout!, if they actually released these on Blu-ray, would have looked better and given more care to the films. But since I refuse to buy any Shout! product new after they lied to me (Freaks and Geeks yearbook), at least this way I can buy the new titles new and not used.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.