Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Semi OT question on cut out DVD codes when purchasing dvds

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 02-01-11, 11:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all I purchased a dvd through Half.com that was listed as "Brand New". Received the package in the mail which contained an opened cut out (UPC). The seller is blaming everybody he can but think I have him in a lie. Can sealed dvds have cut out's before they are opened? This is a hard plastic case with an insert that has the UPC code cut out (not sawed out on the actual dvd box which I've seen before). Do companies cut the UPCs sometimes before they seal wrap an item? Thanks!
Old 02-01-11, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by wildcardCharlie
Hello all I purchased a dvd through Half.com that was listed as "Brand New". Received the package in the mail which contained an opened cut out (UPC). The seller is blaming everybody he can but think I have him in a lie. Can sealed dvds have cut out's before they are opened? This is a hard plastic case with an insert that has the UPC code cut out (not sawed out on the actual dvd box which I've seen before). Do companies cut the UPCs sometimes before they seal wrap an item? Thanks!
Yes, I have seen several promos like that. I won stuff from radio station and it's looks like a hole puncher just punched a hole in bar code but the stuff was sealed. I would have listed it as like new and told the people it was still sealed but had a hole punched in UPC code.
Old 02-01-11, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Semi OT question on cut out DVD codes when purchasing dvds

I bought a DVD once from a Amazon Marketplace seller that was advertised as NEW and described as "Factory Sealed, Brand New." It came sealed but when I opened it, the DVD had a video store rental sticker on it.
Old 02-01-11, 12:29 PM

Thanks for the info! And wow Prof that is pretty lousy of somebody to do to you. I've had similar things happen on Ebay though. Usually most sellers are honest if they have great feedback but a few try to pull some shady dishonest things which is a bummer.
Old 02-01-11, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Check if the plastic wrap was sealed with a soft kind of stretchy wrap or does the wrap feel stiff. The soft-stretchy wrap was wrapped by the manufacturer and the stiff wrap means that they opened the dvd and reshrink wrapped it. It sound like he cut out the UPC and reshink wrapped for a rebate.

The other option is that he won this from a contest or radio station, and they cut it off and resealed it, so he couldn't take it to a store and get credit for it. He then was selling it without giving info about the UPC cut out.
Old 02-01-11, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

It's possible that this came from the manufacturer like this. At the music store I used to work at, we would get tones of cds, and some dvds, that were sealed in cellophane/shrinkwrap, but had the bar codes obscured. Of course, it could also be a rewrap as well. But the bar code cutout doesnt automatically mean it has been opened.
Old 02-01-11, 03:43 PM

This is the classic cutout that media companies have been selling for years. When a company wants to dump excess stock, they purposely damage the packaging and then unload it far below MSRP. Typically, the cutting occurs while the stock is still shrinkwrapped. Technically, it is new in that it has never been opened. Back in the 70's, they used to punch a hole in the upper right hand corner of the record jacket. The record, being circular, obviously never got damaged. They all got dumped in the same record rack and sold cheap. This is where the term "cutout bin" came from.
Old 02-01-11, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You can find some like this at Big Lots.
Old 02-01-11, 07:33 PM
Banned

I've had several dvds that I bought that were advertised as new and still wrapped. But when I opened the case, the dvd was severely scratched. One instance in particular. I bought the movie They Wait (great, creepy Grudge-esque film) and it was advertised as brand new, or words to that effect. I took off the plastic and knew even before I opened the case that it wasn't new. The case just didn't seem right. When I opened it, the first thing I saw was that it was a two disc case. The next thing I noticed was that the dvd was on it's hub upside down and that it was really scratched. First, the movie only comes in a one disc version. If it had been new, it would've been a single disc case. Two, I'm pretty sure that they don't put dvds in upside down. Another instance, I ordered one of the He-Man BCI sets that was advertised as being New. When I got it, it totally wasn't. The gatefold case was in two pieces and came apart in my hands. Several of the discs were loose and really scratched.
Old 02-02-11, 09:14 AM

Yeah alot of big lots movies have the holes in bar code. I really do hate that so i usually don't buy them. However alot of ebay and amazon sellers will sell it like that. Unfortunately people aren't honest enough with their product to include that information. I bought one from ebay and when i messaged him my disapointment for it being stabbed twice he basically said tough titties. I also bought one that was "brand new" that ended up being in an opened blockbuster case. However, when i messaged him about it he gave me a full refund and let me keep the dvd
Old 02-02-11, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 22 Posts

Sounds like either a vendor sample or a re-wrap.
Old 02-02-11, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've seen UPCs obscured or "cut out" like that in sealed DVDs if they were packaged together in 2-packs. I have sold them on half like that as Brand New (which they are), but I always mention the condition of the UPC and state that it was part of a 2-pack.
Old 02-02-11, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by mdnitoil
This is the classic cutout that media companies have been selling for years. When a company wants to dump excess stock, they purposely damage the packaging and then unload it far below MSRP. Typically, the cutting occurs while the stock is still shrinkwrapped. Technically, it is new in that it has never been opened. Back in the 70's, they used to punch a hole in the upper right hand corner of the record jacket. The record, being circular, obviously never got damaged. They all got dumped in the same record rack and sold cheap. This is where the term "cutout bin" came from.
Yes, this is likely the case. A lot of these 3rd party "bargain sellers" acquire brand new cutouts at wholesale prices from the distributors.

The most this has been a problem for me is at used CD stores. They'll buy customer trades with the hole punches cut out, slap the price sticker over the bar code, and I don't know about it until I get home.