Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Easiest Store to Return Movies without Receipt?

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 12-28-10, 03:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got a bunch of duplicate DVD/Blu Ray movies for Xmas and wondering which place like Target? is the easiest place to return unopened movies without receipt?
Old 12-28-10, 07:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts
Re: Easiest Store to Return Movies without Receipt?

Wal-mart will take pretty much anything without a reciept.
Old 12-28-10, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

chances are they will give you store credit for unopened items.. but you will not get any cash back.
Old 12-28-10, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As long as it is in their system, Wal-Mart will give you store credit sans the sales tax. You'll have to fork over your Driver's License. Target will give you store credit(with sales tax added to the total) as well. However, Target caps out at $70 per year.

Last edited by Sweet Baby James; 12-28-10 at 10:28 AM.
Old 12-28-10, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

amazing that some people still don't give gift receipts
Old 12-28-10, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 783 Likes on 657 Posts

Stores used to be very lenient around Christmas on returns, but due to fraud and abuse have tightened up their policies considerably in the past couple of years.
Old 12-29-10, 01:03 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sweet Baby James
As long as it is in their system, Wal-Mart will give you store credit sans the sales tax. You'll have to fork over your Driver's License. Target will give you store credit(with sales tax added to the total) as well. However, Target caps out at $70 per year.
I'm pretty sure Wal-Mart caps out at $99 ($100?) per year. I stood in a customer service line behind someone who apparently returns a lot without a receipt, and he had total of $99 in store credit and the attendant told him he maxed out his quota this year.

Bottom line, if you bought the item, keep your damn receipt.
Old 12-29-10, 08:24 PM

I don't know about actual price amount but i do know only 3 times a year can you return something without a receipt. Once you do it three times you can not return anything without a receipt for a year.
Old 12-29-10, 08:38 PM
Premium Member

Received 676 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by mortalplague
I don't know about actual price amount but i do know only 3 times a year can you return something without a receipt. Once you do it three times you can not return anything without a receipt for a year.
It's a 3 limit in a 45 day period at Walmart.
Old 12-29-10, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I returned "LOST Season 6" back to Best Buy today without a receipt. It was a gift, but I already had all 6 seasons. I've never returned anything to Best Buy before without a receipt and it went pretty smoothly. Of course they gave me their lowest price from the last 60 days on a giftcard, but that was fine with me. It probably helped me that it still had the original Best Buy tag on it and didn't beep when I went through the door. I really didn't think they would do it, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to try.
Old 12-29-10, 09:48 PM

i knew my dvd was bought at best buy but i wanted to try walmart.......walmart scans the dvd or blu ray to see if it was bought from a walmart...they did not give me anything because it was not bought at walmart...so i went to best buy i had not issues
Old 12-29-10, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by mooovies
i knew my dvd was bought at best buy but i wanted to try walmart.......walmart scans the dvd or blu ray to see if it was bought from a walmart...they did not give me anything because it was not bought at walmart...so i went to best buy i had not issues
They can't tell if it was bought at a walmart by scanning the UPC. All the UPC's are the same. They only scan it to see if it comes up in their system. If it didn't come up, then it's possible you have some Best Buy Exclusive verison (which would have a different UPC and wouldn't be in their database at walmart).
Old 12-30-10, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Best Buy limits you to 2 returns without receipt per year and credit you the lowest amount they've sold the item for.
Old 12-30-10, 01:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I got two Scott Pilgrim Blu-Rays for Christmas, returned one to Walmart since Target has posted signs all over that they won't take returns without a receipt. Walmart gave me cash, including tax, I was pretty surprised.

Last edited by Ginwen; 12-30-10 at 05:20 PM.
Old 12-30-10, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I returned a battery charger without receipt at Target and there were no questions asked. In past years, Target had a strict "no-receipt-means-you-have-to-take-a-credit-in-the same-department-as-purchased-and-have-to-do-it-today" policy. Target also stopped price-matching for a while, but have loosened up there, too.
Old 01-01-11, 11:52 PM

I received a duplicate of Red Dead Redemption PS3 game from my grandmother for Christmas. I had originally wanted Red Dead Redemption: Undead Nightmare. She left me the gift receipt to Walmart so I decided to try and return it there and they claim it's their policy to only give a gift card back with a gift receipt! I had never heard of such a thing as a gift receipt is obviously just an itemized copy of the main receipt. So I'm going to take it to a different Walmart and see if I have better luck. Anyone else ran into this?
Old 01-02-11, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
They can't tell if it was bought at a walmart by scanning the UPC. All the UPC's are the same. They only scan it to see if it comes up in their system. If it didn't come up, then it's possible you have some Best Buy Exclusive verison (which would have a different UPC and wouldn't be in their database at walmart).
Not always the case. Wal-mart buys so much stuff they could have a new UPC code put into place. This would also save on returns. If you think about it. Most of the items are way cheaper at wal-mart. Someone could buy something from them and take it back to another store.
Old 01-04-11, 12:34 PM

Received 91 Likes on 58 Posts

I've had my own problem returning an item after Christmas - even with proof of purchase.

I bought the Watchmen Best Buy exclusive blu-ray from their website and they would not let me return it in-store. Even with my invoice, I was denied because the item wasn't in their system any more. Since the invoice clearly states you can return online orders in-store and it's still offered on their website, I called foul and contacted corporate by phone to complain. One rep told me it was poor service on the store's part and apologized, stating as long as I had the invoice they should have refunded me. Still, she never sent the pre-paid return label she promised. I called again and another woman told me the store clerks were absolutely right in not accepting my return. Talk about conflicting information.
Old 01-04-11, 01:57 PM

It sounds like the 1st rep was correct and their own website says you can return on-line purchases to their B&M stores:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Help-Top...at204400050022

Thanks for sharing your experience. Just another reason why I try to steer clear of Bestbuy...
Old 01-04-11, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by dugnarug
I received a duplicate of Red Dead Redemption PS3 game from my grandmother for Christmas. I had originally wanted Red Dead Redemption: Undead Nightmare. She left me the gift receipt to Walmart so I decided to try and return it there and they claim it's their policy to only give a gift card back with a gift receipt! I had never heard of such a thing as a gift receipt is obviously just an itemized copy of the main receipt. So I'm going to take it to a different Walmart and see if I have better luck. Anyone else ran into this?
How would you like them to return the credit to you? Back to the original card that it was paid with, assuming it was paid with a card?
Old 01-04-11, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 307 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by drq2
Not always the case. Wal-mart buys so much stuff they could have a new UPC code put into place. This would also save on returns. If you think about it. Most of the items are way cheaper at wal-mart. Someone could buy something from them and take it back to another store.
Unless it is a unique version of a title then it will have the same UPC.
Old 01-05-11, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by dugnarug
Ummm, I think that's EVERY store's policy.
Old 01-05-11, 11:10 AM

last night i brought to bestbuy...backup plan,robin hood and just wright all sealed dvds....i got store credit for 66 bux......i did it with one dvd last week and one the week before and i got store credit from them with no reciept....target 70 limit a year walmart i did it 2 times they gave me issues so i dont bother with them
Old 01-06-11, 02:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've been able to return things to Walmart many times without a receipt. I once returned a TV, and they gave me cash back even though I had lost the receipt.
Old 01-06-11, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

NOT Toys R Us, that's for sure. Got 2 copies of Iron Man 2 for Christmas. One of them had a TOYS R US sticker on it. So I took it back to them to exchange it for something else (completely unopened, obviously) and they wouldn't take it back. I was pretty pissed. It had their goddamn sticker on it and they wouldn't take it. Won't be buying anything there in the future if I can help it. Shitheads.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.