Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Astaire & Rogers Collection on BD?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-10, 07:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read back in early 2009 that the Astaire & Rogers collection was being prepared for a restored hi-def release in 2010. I noticed today that the DVD collection, which had gone OOP, was for sale in a new box in Costco. Have there been any updates or release dates? I can't find any news beyond the original mention here:

www highdefdigest com/news/show/David_Krauss/Warner_Brothers/Industry_Trends/Blu_About_The_Slow_Release_of_Classic_Titles_On_Blu-ray_Take_Heart_UPDATED/2502
(Sorry, I can't post links yet.)

When upgrading 'Top Hat' (1935), Feltenstein was shocked to see how dirty the floor was on which Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers danced. That dirty floor will be clearly visible when the Astaire-Rogers films make their Blu-ray debut in 2010, as will the wires that support the Scarecrow in certain scenes of 'The Wizard of Oz.'
In addition to the Astaire-Rogers canon in 2010, Feltenstein said ...
They're silly movies, but I love 'em. Of the hundreds of movies I own on DVD, I'd really only consider repurchasing a couple handfuls on Blu -- and I really want those classic Fred & Ginger flicks! (I also hope it is more of the top-notch restoration work Warner Bros. has been churning out in recent years.)
Old 10-25-10, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts
Re: Astaire & Rogers Collection on BD?

I love 'em too and I'd love to see them on Blu, but I haven't heard anything other than what you quoted above. I'd be pretty surprised if they released them all, though, as there are probably only three or four that have a wide following. More likely that Top Hat would be released as a trial balloon to see if there's any market.
Old 12-21-10, 07:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Been a couple of months since I posted. Anyone aware of anything new?
Old 12-21-10, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Don't hold your breath - catalog titles on blu have been selling like shit.