Reload this Page >

Offical Donkey Kong Country Returns Thread

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 11-19-10, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,158 Likes on 4,191 Posts

So, Donkey Kong Country Returns comes out this Sunday. Apparently, it's pretty great. It got a 9.5 and Game of the Month award from the most recent issue of Game Informer.
IGN review just went up.

<object id="vid_4ce5ca0ddad0bd09a8000e38" class="ign-videoplayer" width="480" height="270" data="http://media.ign.com/ev/prod/embed.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"><param name="movie" value="http://media.ign.com/ev/prod/embed.swf" /><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="bgcolor" value="#000000" /><param name="flashvars" value="url=http://www.ign.com/videos/2010/11/19/donkey-kong-country-returns-video-review"/></object>

IGN Summary below:
Spoiler:
Closing Comments
Understand there are times where you'll want to throw your controller against a wall -- Donkey Kong Country Returns is not a cakewalk. It's a hardcore challenge for the hardcore gamer, and because of its difficulty, it offers an amazing sense of satisfaction when you've completed a level that's kicked your butt five ways to Sunday. Retro Studios may have dialed back its Metroid Prime-style innovation in favor of a more traditional platformer for its latest experience, but Retro's modesty is still more impressive than another developer's A game. Rare should be proud that its design is in the right hands. Or just insanely jealous. Either works.
IGN Ratings for Donkey Kong Country Returns (Wii)
Rating Description
out of 10 Click here for ratings guide
8.0 Presentation
Not quite up there with Metroid Prime in production values, but it's still a top notch first party effort.
9.0 Graphics
A great 3D engine that gets more impressive the deeper you get. Excellent animation and wonderful environment effects.
9.0 Sound
The original SNES game was known for its excellent jazz soundtrack, and all the excellent tunes have made a return.
9.0 Gameplay
A really fun, really tough platformer that builds on the Super NES classic. You want a challenge? You're gonna get it here.
9.5 Lasting Appeal
Good luck trying to beat this one 100% in your first week. Seriously, you may beat the game, but you won't finish it so quickly...
OVERALL

Outstanding

It sounds really hard but really fun. I'm looking forward to this.

Deals
Target will give a $10 Gift Card with purchase.
Kmart will give two $10 gaming coupons with purchase.
No Black Friday deals on this game.
Old 11-19-10, 03:28 PM

Re: Offical Donkey Kong Country Returns Thread

Joystiq 4.5 star Review is up.
Old 11-19-10, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm glad Nintendo gets it sometimes and releases games on the weekend.
Old 11-19-10, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chuckd21
I'm glad Nintendo gets it sometimes and releases games on the weekend.
I think all Nintendo published titles release on Sunday.

I like it.
Old 11-19-10, 03:41 PM

Hardware and software actually. I like it too.
Old 11-19-10, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What are the best deals for the game this coming week?
Old 11-19-10, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm more excited for this than I was for Super Mario Galaxy 2. Can't wait.
Old 11-19-10, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by Brent L
What are the best deals for the game this coming week?
Is that a joke, did you not read my original post or am I just on your ignore list?
Old 11-19-10, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

does anyone know of any deals on this game? i didn't see if that was covered yet.
Old 11-19-10, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DKC was one of my fave games on the SNES. This one looks great - one step closer to pushing me towards finally buying a Wii.
Old 11-19-10, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by KingSmoth
DKC was one of my fave games on the SNES. This one looks great - one step closer to pushing me towards finally buying a Wii.
I saw that DKC just came out this week on Virtual Console for the Wii for $8. If it didn't require me to buy yet another controller, I'd have picked it up, even with Nintendo's evil DRM.
Old 11-19-10, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Decker
Is that a joke, did you not read my original post or am I just on your ignore list?
Come on Decker, you know you aren't on my ignore list. No, I just got excited seeing the thread and only watched the video that I totally overlooked the rest of the information. Thanks!

The Kmart gaming coupons, can those be used on anything? Just two $10 off coupons for future game purchases?

I can't wait for this one. I remember when the original DKC came out and I had this VHS tape that went over the making of the game and had lots of game footage. It was pretty awesome back in the day since there wasn't the internet to get clips and stuff like that. Heck, I still have that tape around here somewhere.
Old 11-19-10, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by Brent L
Come on Decker, you know you aren't on my ignore list. No, I just got excited seeing the thread and only watched the video that I totally overlooked the rest of the information. Thanks!
I know, but if I didn't mention the ignore list, someone else would have.
The Kmart gaming coupons, can those be used on anything? Just two $10 off coupons for future game purchases?
Yeah, only used on game related items. This is the first time I've seen them give two $10 coupons instead of one $20. The difference is that you can only use one per unique bar code per purchase. So you can only use one of those coupons towards Epic Mickey instead of both. It's still a good deal. Not sure if the coupons will be active by Black Friday, actually I doubt it.
Old 11-20-10, 02:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Growing up, Donkey Kong Country was one of the hardest Nintendo games for me. Glad to hear they've kept the level of difficulty for the sequel/remake. I'll probably pick this up from Kmart, seeing as how I have a $20 Gaming Coupon from Kirby's Epic Yarn to use. I'm actually backlogged on games; still need to finish Super Mario Galaxy 2 (life got in the way), Enslaved, Kirby's Epic Yarn, and then this.
Old 11-20-10, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Glowing reviews continue to roll in as Donkey Kong Returns receives perfect scores from both Destructoid and 1up!

1up.com review: A
Spoiler:
Donkey Kong Country Returns hits all the right spots; it's filled with childhood nostalgia, stunning visuals, and mentally taxing challenges. The game offers a wealth of inventive, wild fun and works even for those with no inherent emotional attachment to the cartoon gorilla on the cover. By all means, it's a pretty tough game, but it's not always about collecting every single item or beating a boss with lives to spare. Sometimes it's about sitting next to your sibling, frantically shouting at the television and laughing uncontrollably all for the sake of a banana.

Destructoid review: 10
Spoiler:
Sure, I adore retro games and absolutely love classic 2D platformers; for this reason alone, I was excited to play Donkey Kong Country Returns. What I wasn’t expecting, though, is how much the game would make my jaw drop with every new level. Retro Studios really needs to take on every single Nintendo franchise from here on out...

Not only is the game super-polished (a Retro trademark, in my humble opinion), the level design is unbeatable. UNBEATABLE!

...The levels in Donkey Kong Country Returns are not only impeccably designed, they are rich with constant “wow” moments that will happen from the first seemingly basic level to the surprising, wholly satisfying final boss.

I can't wait to pick this up tomorrow!
Old 11-20-10, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Decker
I saw that DKC just came out this week on Virtual Console for the Wii for $8.

The original DKC has been out on the Wii VC for over three YEARS now....
Old 11-20-10, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by WMAangel

The original DKC has been out on the Wii VC for over three YEARS now....
I saw the link to the IGN review below DKCR review and thought it had just been released. Didn't check the review date. Shows how often I check the Wii Ware store (never).
Old 11-21-10, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Another glowing review (Gametrailers: 9.0/10):

<object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=8,0,0,0" id="gtembed" width="480" height="392"> <param name="allowScriptAccess" value="sameDomain" /> <param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /> <param name="movie" value="http://www.gametrailers.com/remote_wrap.php?mid=707720"/><param name="quality" value="high" /> <embed src="http://www.gametrailers.com/remote_wrap.php?mid=707720" swLiveConnect="true" name="gtembed" align="middle" allowScriptAccess="sameDomain" allowFullScreen="true" quality="high" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="480" height="392"></embed> </object>
Old 11-21-10, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Holy shit, this game looks to be really difficult:

<embed src="http://digitalchumps.com/plugins/hwdvs-videoplayer/jwflv_v5/mediaplayer.swf" width="427" height="240" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" flashvars="file=http://video.digitalchumps.com/111910-dkcreturns-1_digitalchumps.flv&linktarget=_blank&link=http%3A%2F%2Fdigitalchumps.com%2Findex.php%3Foption%3Dcom_hwdvideoshare%26Itemid%3D535%26task%3 Dviewvideo%26video_id%3Dhttp%3A%2F%2Fvideo.digitalchumps.com%2F111910-dkcreturns-1_digitalchumps.flv%2Chttp%3A%2F%2Fwww.digitalchumps.com%2Fimages%2Fthumbs%2Fdkcreturns1.jpg&bufferlength=7&volume=90&controlbar=over&autostart=false&displayclick=link&abouttext=Digitalchumps HD Video&aboutlink=http://www.digitalchumps.com&backcolor=333333&frontcolor=cccccc&lightcolor=ffffff&screencolor=000000&type=http&image=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.digitalchumps.com%2Fimages%2Fthumbs%2Fdkcreturns1.jpg&plugins=gapro-1&gapro.accountid=UA-368598-10&gapro.trackstarts=true&gapro.trackpercentage=true&gapro.tracktime=true" />
Old 11-21-10, 02:35 PM

Yikes! I imagine I might be visiting Super Guide more than a few times here.
Old 11-21-10, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm a few levels in, and while it's not super tough (yet), it can be difficult to get all the items, and I can see it getting just as tough as Super Meat Boy, if not tougher, since you'd have to sustain that level of difficulty for much longer than in SMB. I'm not a huge fan of the controls yet - I like that it's not at all floaty like a lot of recent platformers, but the timing of things seems off - like getting an extra bounce when you jump off of things - the window to press jump for the extra lift feels unintuitive.
Old 11-21-10, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

So you cant switch between characters and it has the gimmicky motion controllers... my enthusiasm for this has greatly DIED. Blech
Old 11-21-10, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Ravenous
So you cant switch between characters and it has the gimmicky motion controllers... my enthusiasm for this has greatly DIED. Blech
I hope thats not true. Is there an option to use classic controller? The not being able to switch characters would really suck. They were a core part of gameplay for all three titles.
Old 11-21-10, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

There really isn't any gimmicky motion-controls. It's just the remote held sideways, with a jump on button-2 and hold button-1 to move faster and/or hold onto things. You just shake it to pound the ground and/or to roll - that's pretty much it. And there's no real need to switch characters either - having Diddy on your back gives you a bit of a boost jump. I don't see what using him alone would accomplish. That said, the game gets tough as it goes. If you're into challenging platformers, this is it.
Old 11-21-10, 09:24 PM

I just played it. It's a lot of fun. Right up there with the original trilogy ... but I died a lot. The motion control part takes a while to get used to. You hold left or right on the D-pad and shake to roll. Hold down and shake to blow. Don't hold any button and shake to pound the ground. I messed up a few times on this as they want you to roll off a cliff and jump in mid air to collect some items. I fell to my death more than once trying to do that. I was shocked you couldn't be Diddy but he is like a jet pack and extra Hit point. I beat three levels and bought a gold key from Cranky Kong. Can't wait to play more but I've been told it's insanely hard by the second area.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.