Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

PS3 Doesn't Recognize TV Is 3D/Blue Screen Only With Mits 3D Adapter

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 11-04-10, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

I posted a similar thread in the videogame forum but so far I've gotten few responses. I'm hoping I get more repsonses in this one because it's related to 3D Blu-ray. I have a Mitsubishi WD-73833 3D Ready TV and a PS3 Slim. I have the latest firmware update 3.5, and I'm using high speed HDMI cables. I just got Mitsubishi's 3D Starter Kit, and I have 2 problems:

1) The PS3 doesn't recognize that I have a 3D Ready TV. I set the display settngs to automatic on the PS3. From what I've read online, it's supposed to then recognize that the TV is 3D and then ask me to set the screen size. This doesn't happen. I popped in the Disney 3D demo disc that comes with the Mitsubishi 3D adapter, and the disc displayed a message that said I don't have a 3D TV. (It played in 2D.) I've tried connecting the PS3 directly to the TV (without the adapter) as well as to the adapter first and then to the TV. but the PS3 doesn't recognize that it's a 3D TV. Any advice?

2) When I connect the adapter between the PS3 and TV, all I get is a blue screen and silence. It doesn't even pass a 2D signal and audio. The power light on the adapter comes on as well as the other lights regarding 3D mode, and the IR emitter lights up whenever I put the TV into 3D mode, so I guess that means the equipment works. I've swapped cables, and they work fine without the adapter in the equation. Could the TV need a firmware update or is there something else I'm not thinking of?

This whole experience really sucks. After waiting 2 years for Mitsubishi to release this kit and ??? years for Sony to release the 3D firmware update to the PS3, I'd expect everything to work right out of the box.

Ideas welcome. Thank you!
Old 11-04-10, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 91 Likes on 73 Posts
Re: PS3 Doesn't Recognize TV Is 3D/Blue Screen Only With Mits 3D Adapter

I am in no way a pro of 3D but maybe the Mitsubishi set only accepts the checkerboard 3D format in which only the Panasonic Blu-ray players does at this point.
Old 11-05-10, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ah, the fun begins.
Old 11-06-10, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

After visiting other forums, I came to the conclusion that my set probably needs a firmware update. I called Mitsubishi and they confirmed it. They're sending me a free update via a thumb drive in the mail. Why I can't just download it is beyond me because it could take 2 weeks or more to get here. Plus, you'd think on page 1 of the manual that comes with the 3D adapter it would list the Mitsubishi TVs that require a firmware update before attempting to connect the device to the TV. I just hope the update solves both of my problems.
Old 11-06-10, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 407 Likes on 352 Posts

Well that is good news. I just assumed Mit would blame Sony and Sony would blame Mit.

Yea, FW updates like that are crazy! That is one reason big reason I use my PS3 for by BD (I got an original one when it first came out). Wireless, quick and easy updates. Heck, I can still d/l FW upgrades for my HD DVD players...lol
Old 11-07-10, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Sdallnct
Well that is good news. I just assumed Mit would blame Sony and Sony would blame Mit.
That's what I expected!
Old 11-21-10, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Still waiting for Mitsubishi to ship the flash drive with the update. A few days ago they added a downloadable update to their web site, but it's not for my model TV. Why on earth wouldn't they put the update for my model online if they did it for their other models? Spoke to a rep today and she assured me their IS an update for my model, and it should be shipping soon. After all this, I hope it's worth the wait.
Old 11-21-10, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

That just sucks....

I know products today are sent out ASAP, but if your TV is 3D but you can't actually use it as 3D than wow...I'd consider a return. I mean, assuming the FW fixes the problem (which of course you won't know till you get it) are you going to have to wait 2-3 weeks every time there is a new FW?

Meh, not my business, but that just sux...
Old 11-22-10, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Refer to my first post.
Old 11-22-10, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

That just sucks....

I know products today are sent out ASAP, but if your TV is 3D but you can't actually use it as 3D than wow...I'd consider a return. I mean, assuming the FW fixes the problem (which of course you won't know till you get it) are you going to have to wait 2-3 weeks every time there is a new FW?

Meh, not my business, but that just sux...
Yeah, it's a real test of my patience. If the update works though, I have to give props to Mitsubishi for following through with their promise to make it compatible with whatever standard the industry came up with. (I bought the TV 2 years ago.) I just wish they had made it clear that several of their models would need a firmware update in addition to the adapter before I bought the adapter. I would have held off buying the adapter till after I got the update.
Old 11-22-10, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

OH! Two years old! Ok. That is different. I just assumed 3D you just bought it. That is why I said to consider returning.

But if it's two years old and they are keeping up with the newest, newer technology, than I'll give them a break. And more than that, give them credit.
Old 11-27-10, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Mitsubishi left me a message saying the flash drive is on its way and should arrive Wednesday. Fingers crossed it arrives on time and does the trick!
Old 12-03-10, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The flash drive arrived as scheduled and fixed the problem, so kudos to Mitsubishi. (Unfortunately, I'll have to upgrade my 1-year-old receiver since it won't pass the 3D signal through it, so if I want to enjoy 3D right now I have to give up surround sound and connect my PS3 directly to the TV.)
Old 12-03-10, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Why not just send the video directly to your tv?

PS3 to TV via HDMI will get you 3D
PS3 to receiver via optical to your receiver for surround.

HDMI to carry both is cute and all, but not a requirement.

Oh and cool the FW worked! That is good news.
Old 12-04-10, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Why not just send the video directly to your tv?

PS3 to TV via HDMI will get you 3D
PS3 to receiver via optical to your receiver for surround.
Thanks! I forgot about that option. I don't want to spend the $ during the holidays on another receiver. I'll miss the Hi Def surround formats BD offers, but I'm sure I can live without them for awhile.
Old 12-04-10, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Joe Schmoe
Thanks! I forgot about that option. I don't want to spend the $ during the holidays on another receiver. I'll miss the Hi Def surround formats BD offers, but I'm sure I can live without them for awhile.
What speakers and receiver do you have? In my experience while lossless is a "nice little upgrade" unless you have a pretty darn nice set up I doubt you will hear much difference.

In fact, if you have a decent receiver now, I would generally recommend upgrading speakers and/or sub before upgrading receivers to just get lossless. Unless you already have nice speakers, your going to hear a bigger overall improvement in sound with an upgrade to speakers than by going lossless alone.

I've had a PS3 since it came out and still haven't made the jump to lossless. And don't plan to till I at least upgrade my sub and likely speakers as well. And I'm pretty happy with my speakers....
Old 12-04-10, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

What speakers and receiver do you have? In my experience while lossless is a "nice little upgrade" unless you have a pretty darn nice set up I doubt you will hear much difference.

In fact, if you have a decent receiver now, I would generally recommend upgrading speakers and/or sub before upgrading receivers to just get lossless. Unless you already have nice speakers, your going to hear a bigger overall improvement in sound with an upgrade to speakers than by going lossless alone.

I've had a PS3 since it came out and still haven't made the jump to lossless. And don't plan to till I at least upgrade my sub and likely speakers as well. And I'm pretty happy with my speakers....
I certainly don't have top of the line equipment, but it's decent. My current receiver is the Onkyo 7.1 THX Select2 TX-SR706. Not sure the THX Select2 business makes any difference to my ears. My sub and most of my speakers came with my last Onkyo, which was a 6.1 system (don't recall the model number). I probably won't miss the Hi Def sound formats as much as I think I will, but I will miss having 7.1 discrete channels. This is only possible with HDMI, right? Of course, the receiver has several modes than can fake 7.1 channels.
Old 12-04-10, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

That's a hell of a nice receiver to be using Onkyo speakers. I'd have a hard time parting with that. But yea, I'd look at new speakers/sub before switching receivers just to get lossless + 3D at the same time.

How many movies do you have that are 7.1? I didn't think there are a lot. I have a 6.1 set up and few movies take advantage of that.

Maybe Spiky can help, but are you sure you need to upgrade your receiver to get 3D? I mean the PS3 used a FW upgrade to get 3D but it is to old physically to have 1.4 HDMI. Soooo....why would the PS3 offer a FW upgrade to 3D if their hardware can handle it? Doesn't seem to make much sense. I don't think you can upgrade HDMI with a FW upgrade.

If your not married to your PS3 you could get a BD player with analog out puts. Or I have read some BD players have two HDMI outs....

http://www.bigpicturebigsound.com/CE...-3D-HDTV.shtml
Old 12-05-10, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

That's a hell of a nice receiver to be using Onkyo speakers. I'd have a hard time parting with that. But yea, I'd look at new speakers/sub before switching receivers just to get lossless + 3D at the same time.

How many movies do you have that are 7.1? I didn't think there are a lot. I have a 6.1 set up and few movies take advantage of that.

Maybe Spiky can help, but are you sure you need to upgrade your receiver to get 3D? I mean the PS3 used a FW upgrade to get 3D but it is to old physically to have 1.4 HDMI. Soooo....why would the PS3 offer a FW upgrade to 3D if their hardware can handle it? Doesn't seem to make much sense. I don't think you can upgrade HDMI with a FW upgrade.

If your not married to your PS3 you could get a BD player with analog out puts. Or I have read some BD players have two HDMI outs....

http://www.bigpicturebigsound.com/CE...-3D-HDTV.shtml
Nice read, but according to the article:

[update (July, 2010): It turns out that Mr. Parsons was a little optimistic about the capabilities of an HDMI 1.3 receiver to pass along the Blu-ray 3D video stream. Because HDMI 1.3 receivers cannot pass through the new 3D-specific EDID parameters, it is not possible to pass a Blu-ray 3D stream through one of these receivers and on to a display. Some of the first generation players such as Panasonic's DMP-BDT350 and Samsung's BD-C7900 feature two HDMI outputs for just this reason - the HDMI 1.4/3D video output is connected to the TV while the audio is passed via a secondary HDMI output to a non 3D-ready receiver.]

When I tried to pass the 3D signal through my receiver, all I got was a blue screen and no audio. I changed the HDMI Output setting on the receiver from "1080p" to "Automatic" and then to "Through," but nothing changed. I'm using high speed cables (although I'm not sure if the HDMI cable that came with my PS3 is high speed, but it works when I take the receiver out of the equation). Not sure if there are any other settings I can change to make it work.

I don't have a ton of movies in 7.1. I think every Disney Platinum title I've purchased on BD is 7.1 as well as Toy Story 3, Ice Age 3, and 3:10 to Yuma. But many games on the PS3 are 7.1, so I'll be missing out on that if I go back to using an optical cable.

Despite what that article says, I've heard reports of some receivers with HDMI 1.3 working with 3D. In fact, a salesman at RC Willey admitted to me he had one such receiver hooked up in his store and it worked fine with 3D. So it sounds like it's hit or miss... just depends on each brand, I guess.
Old 12-05-10, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Hummm...ok...I'm certainly not a 3D expert...just seems odd that as old as the PS3 is and shouldn't have 1.4 HDMI can work with 3D but a receiver can't. But then I've heard of stranger things.

And it really, really sucks for those people who had good receivers who upgraded just to get HDMI, than upgraded that perfectly good receiver to get one that processed lossless, and now need to upgrade that one to get 3D.

With the price drops on BD players it might be worth getting one of those with analog outputs for movie watching and just use your PS3 for game playing. If you want lossless and 3D at the same time.
Old 12-05-10, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Hummm...ok...I'm certainly not a 3D expert...just seems odd that as old as the PS3 is and shouldn't have 1.4 HDMI can work with 3D but a receiver can't. But then I've heard of stranger things.

And it really, really sucks for those people who had good receivers who upgraded just to get HDMI, than upgraded that perfectly good receiver to get one that processed lossless, and now need to upgrade that one to get 3D.

With the price drops on BD players it might be worth getting one of those with analog outputs for movie watching and just use your PS3 for game playing. If you want lossless and 3D at the same time.
That same web site had another article that answered how the PS3 is able to process 3D even though it's only 1.3. Sony accomplished this with a firmware update so the EDID parameters (whatever that means) would be understood by the PS3. High speed cables are all that's necessary for 3D, so the HDMI cable doesn't have to be 1.4. (The salesman at RC Willey confirmed this; he said 1.4 or 1.4a simply adds audio return.) I would assume a firmware update would make my receiver understand the EDID parameters, but I don't think that's in the cards. My receiver doesn't have a USB port as far as I know, nor is Onkyo offering an update for this model (I checked their web site). Oh well.
Old 12-05-10, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

1.4 is capable of much higher bandwidth, but it won't be using it for a long time since there's nothing to send, yet. Probably at some point there could be features of 1.4 that might be used that the current cables can't handle. Maybe even the PS3 will fail to be upgradeable at some point, too.

Hit or miss functionality has been the cornerstone of HDMI usage since day one.
Old 12-06-10, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well, I must say I'm a bit underwhelmed now that I've experienced 3D on my DLP set. First, it emits a high pitched/high frequency noise when the TV is put into 3D mode. (It gets drowned out though once I turn up the volume.) Second, the whole screen takes on a slight greenish/brown tint (especially blacks). Third, the glasses darken the screen, so it's like watching TV with sunglasses on. (Turning up the brightness doesn't really make it look any better.) Fourth, only half the 1080p signal is delivered to each eye, so the picture loses the sharpness that HD/Blu-rays offer. (It's kind of like watching SD material.) Add to all this the limited amount of 3D material and the whole experience is rather disappointing.
Old 12-07-10, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That couldn't possibly be true! I was so informed by several people on this board that 3D is magic and will change our lives in ways we could not possibly imagine. Or was that the iPad?

No, wait...Sliced Bread!!
Old 12-08-10, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I pretty much know nothing about 3D. But is there separate calibration for it?

I bought the first PS3 when it first came out. I paid $30 or maybe even $40, for Pirates of the Caribbean on Blu to compare to my DVD version. I was all set with a HDMI switcher and very nice upconverting DVD player to compare the two. I could even do freeze frame on both and compare.

The results? Like you, I was "disappointed". I think I even posted a thread about it. However, what I had forgotten was I had spent hours calibrating and testing and setting up the DVD player and all I did was plug the PS3 in. After spending an equal amount of time calibrating, the difference really was/is "significant". For me the difference is not so much in the resolution, but in the depth of color, black level detail, and real depth to the image. I use to say it has a "3D" look. But with 3D out now, I'm trying to avoid that.

I have spent time calibrating my HD DVD player with my TV in the living room. I'm getting a BD player for the living room for Christmas. I imagine I'll go thru the same thing again. I bet the HD Player, with a DVD will initially look better than the BD player.

The main reason I have no interest in 3D is really a cost factor. We have movie watching parties all the time. My kids might have 10 or more people over to have pizza and watch a movie. There is no way I'm getting 10+ pairs of glasses (my media room seats 9-10 pretty easy and we have had 20 in there before). Let alone keep them all charged and working!

Last edited by Sdallnct; 12-08-10 at 09:25 AM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.