View Single Post
Old 09-27-10, 04:29 AM   #107
SterlingBen
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: The 6th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31) ***The List Thread

My first attending year, I shall give it the old college try. Goal = 60
For movies I haven't seen before look for one of these in red *
For movies I watch with my wife look for one in blue *

October 1st
1.)

I Spit On Your Grave (aka Day Of The Woman) (1978) (VHS)*
My Thoughts: While not as brutal as my 15 year old self remembers this is still an intense movie and something you will never forget. From the very moment I saw that sticker across her butt on the cover I knew I had to buy it. Also the carpet in her house is awesome, where can I get red shag carpeting?
(4 out of 5)
My Wife's Thoughts: "I am going to always cary a gun from now on". "OK, take the shower and kill them". "I like scary movies not terrifying ones. Kitton does not want to go to work tomorrow, all the guys will attack me".
(3.5 out of 5)

2.)
From Beyond (1986) (DVD)
My Thoughts: This title had been on my too watch list for some time before it's DVD release due mainly to the cast. I was initially disappointed with this title but here on my second viewing it did grow on me. I mean you get Barbara Crampton being touched inappropriately by a monster, Jeffery Combs eating brains through eye sockets and... Ken Foree.
(3.5 out of 5)
3.)
Satanic Rites of Dracula (1973) (DVD)
My Thoughts: Public domain title I picked up at Wal-Mart years ago for a buck. When considering the plot it is a bit ridiculous: Dracula commissions a super bubonic plague to destroy mankind (his food stock). But the addition of Christopher Lee and Peter Cushishing and the slight accents of the cast make it seem much classier (plus there are plenty of British boobs).
(3 out of 5)

October 2nd
4.)

Tales From The Crypt Season 2: Korman's Kalamity (1990) (DVD)**
My Thoughts: A decent episode, nothing too special. I have always found the girl who played the love interest appealing (Cynthia Gibb).
(3 out of 5)
My Wife's Thoughts: "Not that great because know the answer already". (She just didn't like it because the wife was the villain)
(2.5 out of 5)
5.)
Blade: House of Chthon (2006) (DVD)*
My Thoughts: Probably wouldn't have picked this up if I had known it was a feature length pilot to a tv series. It was acceptable tv level production and made me receptive of the idea of obtaining the series at some point if the price is right. Blade is a lot less bad ass in this adaptation, however.
(2.5/5)
6.)
Sisters (1973) (DVD)
My Thoughts: Rear Window meets Basket Case minus the basket. A fantastic thriller, I often look out my window in the vain hope I will get mixed up in a murder mystery such as this. And the use of split screen is phenomenal, it should be used more often.
(4.5 out of 5)
7.)
Howling III: The Marsupials (1987) (DVD)
My Thoughts: Easily the widest variety of Werewolves in any movie, all the way from Zombie-Werewolves to Nun-Werewolves. Also look for a Nilbog moment in the funnest of the Howling series.
(3.5 out of 5)

October 3rd
8.)
Piranha (1978) (DVD)*
My Thoughts: Widely noted at Spielberg's favorite Jaws rip off but mine has always been Blades (of course thats more of a spoof than a rip off). I say not bad, decent fish flick.
(3.5 out of 5)
My Wife's Thoughts: "So far great, scary, I won't eat fish anymore". (Which is a lie. She is Japanese and if given the choice would eat only fish). "Need something changed that ending".
(3.5 out of 5)

9.)
The Ghoul (1933) (DVD)*
My Thoughts: Whenever I see Karloff all I can think is Frankenstein. In this film he plays a Mummy-esk character and it is actually pretty entertaining, some of the comedy still plays 77 years later.
(3.5 out of 5)
10.)
Tales From The Crypt Season 2: Lower Berth (1990) (DVD)*
My Thoughts: One of the best Tales from the Crypt episodes. This is one of the few episodes I remember seeing as a kid, now wither that is due to them playing it over and over again or it making an impression is a mater of speculation. Got to love origin stories.
(4.5 out of 5)
My Wife's Thoughts: "What are you doing? Serious, don't put that on the internet... thats a good story". "So far Spit On The Grave is the best, so far".
(3.5 out of 5)

October 4th
11.)
The Irrefutable Truth About Demons (2000) (iPod Touch)
My Thoughts: Surprisingly good demon fair. Reminds me of that old USA/SYFY show G vs E. That being said I think this would have made a better show.
(4 out of 5)
12.)
Phantasm (1977) (DVD) *
My Thoughts: Obviously a classic. Every time I watch it I still get that feeling like I am a kid discovering it for the first time.
(5 out of 5)
My Wife's Thoughts: "Very Mysterious". "I just wondering where is that come from, the ball". "Scared, can't go to bed"(<-In Japanese) "Unrealistic, crazy movie".
(4.5 out of 5)

13.)
Horror Hotel (1960) (Via The Net) *
My Thoughts: Wow a lot of good black and whites, lately. Lot of the same themes as Wicker Man so if that was your kind of movie this one is defiantly recommended.
(4 out of 5)

October 5th
14.)

Cannibal Apocalypse(1980) (DVD)
My Thoughts: Vietnam vets with contagious cannibalism on the run from the cops. Great premies but unfortunately it doesn't live up to it's title.
(2.5 out of 5)
15.)
The Grudge (Audio Commentary)(2004) (DVD)*
My Thoughts: I actually have the Unrated Director's Cut but in a stroke of genius the studio decided to have completely different feature sets on both releases. So when I finally saw this at BL for $3 I jumped on it for the SMG commentary. Some of my favorite commentaries are from US actors on an foreign production and this one doesn't disappoint; lots of info about Japan and SMG is infectiously likable.
(4 out of 5)
16.)
Piranha (2010) (Theater) **
My Thoughts: I was resistant at the thought of this one but I have got to say it does surpass the original. There are some inspired choice of actors and the movie was filled with blood and boobs, can't wait for the unrated version.
(4 out of 5)
My Wife's Thoughts: "I like that one better than last Piranha". "Kitton going to listen to whatever police officer said". "Poor PeePee".
(4.5 out of 5)

October 6th
17.)

The Strangler (1964) (DVD) *
My Thoughts: A mildly entertaining murder flick. There are some interesting Mommy issues that make it feel like a Something Weird video release, or that could be just that the main actor is the man from the Mad Butcher.
(2 out of 5)
18.)
Night of the Living Bread (1990) (VHS)
My Thoughts: This spoof of Night of the Living Dead with Killer Tomato style effects is a stupid but fun student film included in the Special Collector's Edition Elite release of Night of the Living Dead. It is the only reason I have not given up this particular vhs tape.
(2.5 out of 5)
19.)
It's Alive (1974) (DVD)
My Thoughts: I am a big Larry Cohen fan and while this one is not his best it is still a great formula monster flick. But for some reason I always get sleepy while watching it..
(3.5 out of 5)
20.)
Ugly Americans Season 1: Better Off Undead (2010) (TV) *
My Thoughts: This is the third episode of this series I have seen and I am really liking it. Excellent use of horror themes in an animated comedy.
(4 out of 5)

October 7th
21.)
X-Files Season 2: Humbug (1995) (DVD) *
My Thoughts: I enjoyed this episode, it has Basket Case overtones and I thought would really complement going to the fair this year. Unfortunately they didn't have the freak booth with the Fiji-mermaid that they had the last time I went .
(3.5 out of 5)
My Wife's Thoughts: "Thats not that good and thats not anything related to fair". "Yeah, X-Files more mysterious, that one just unbelievable unrealistic compared to other X-File".
(2.5 out of 5)

22.)
It's Alive 2: It Lives Again (1978) (DVD)
My Thoughts: I like this take on the subject material better than the first but being a sequel they are obligated to have much more of the monster(s) and that doesn't always work well.
(3.5 out of 5)
23.)
Phantasm 2 (1988) (DVD) *
My Thoughts: While not quite as good as I remember from my youth (and aside from the Mike recast and the casting off of the quad shotgun) this is still a very satisfying sequel. I do wish the DVD had an audio commentary though, almost seems like a waste of an upgrade.
(4 out of 5)
My Wife's Thoughts: "Reggie is good but... too ordinary ending, can guess the ending, I guess exactly what happened". What did you think about that gun? I like that fire one better, I think I can make that, I like to use the torch to make sushi".
(3 out of 5)

Continued In Part 2, Part 3, Part 4 & Part 5

Last edited by SterlingBen; 10-27-10 at 01:18 PM.