Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Best Buy Media Prices (September 26th - October 2nd, 2010)

DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Old 09-24-10, 03:13 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

pixs from CES at Blu-ray Bargains forum

- - -

I'll probably pick up "Iron Man 2" the two disc DVD set, but not now. Maybe I'm getting cheap, but I can wait a couple months for a lower price than $22.99. *nods*

Okay now I'm fuzzy. I just read the fine print on that action figure... "Minimum 2 per store. No rainchecks. Offer vaid on Blu-ray only." Does that mean, only 2 sets for Blu-Ray at stores. Or no DVD sets with figure, just Blu?
Old 09-24-10, 07:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Best Buy Media Prices (September 26th - October 2nd, 2010)

Can't beat that IRON MAN 2 BLU-RAY w/ DIGITAL COPY/COMBO PACK price. Amazon still has it listed at $24.99. Also, as far as the SUPERMAN figure on the APOCALYPSE disc, I never go by what the flyer says. When I bought UNDER THE HOOD right after SDCC, they had a ton of both SD & BD with the figure and I went on a Wednesday to pick it up. They never have just two--I think they do that just to cover themselves. Thanks for posting the ad! (Oh, btw, the figures that DC makes are actually pretty sweet and great for your work desk--check pic below!)

--Dorfler

[IMG]file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/jason%20kruse/My%20Documents/My%20Pictures/Red%20Hood%202.jpg[/IMG]
Old 09-24-10, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

$21.99 doorbuster price at Best Buy looks like the best price for the Iron Man 2 BD/combo pack which I want to buy... someday. However, I'm going to wait for it to drop the $15 or less rather than jump now. I got the ~$10 eCard credit from the $15 Walmart.com mess-up, but plan to use that eCard for something else on sale since it's not tied to Iron Man 2. I still can't handle paying more than $15 for anything (even a new release BD) knowing that it'll drop to $15 or less within 1-2 years. It's easy to wait when I have such a huge backlog of unwatched movies from past sales.
Old 09-24-10, 09:44 AM

Superman / Batman: Apocalypse DVD $12.99 with a free Superman action figure!!! I was halfway out the door until I saw the fine print as well. Only 2 per store!? Only with the Blu-Ray? Well that sucks. They should have at least had 8 per store. Man, note the lack of DVD's in their ad and then tempting you to go Blu-Ray to get the extra exclusive items like that figure.
Old 09-24-10, 03:50 PM

Does anyone know if any stores had an exclusive for Spartacus: Blood and Sand? Thank you

oh sorry I thought this was the exclusives thread...uhhh I'll take iron man 2 yeah!!!!!!
Old 09-25-10, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by DarkRavenII
Superman / Batman: Apocalypse DVD $12.99 with a free Superman action figure!!! I was halfway out the door until I saw the fine print as well. Only 2 per store!?
It says minimum 2 per store. Unless your Best Buy is one of those smaller, low-traffic stores, there will be more than 2. Have you guys seen the kind of figures Best Buy packages with these animated releases? I wouldn't get too excited. They always remind of something I used to find in a cereal box.
Old 09-25-10, 08:18 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 370 Likes on 251 Posts

I don't see many "DVD Bargains" in those pics, looks like 99% Blu-Ray sales. I swear, BestBuy has gotten so lame on their DVD sales it isn't even funny. I go to our local BestBuy every week, and it seems like every time I peruse the DVDs, they have the same old crap they've had on sale for the preceeding several weeks. What do they do, change up the sale items monthly? Bi-monthly? Are they waiting for Black Friday to have a decent sale? -kd5-
Old 09-25-10, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DarkRavenII
Superman / Batman: Apocalypse DVD $12.99 with a free Superman action figure!!! I was halfway out the door until I saw the fine print as well. Only 2 per store!? Only with the Blu-Ray? Well that sucks. They should have at least had 8 per store. Man, note the lack of DVD's in their ad and then tempting you to go Blu-Ray to get the extra exclusive items like that figure.
The Superman figure will be packaged with the $19.99 DVD, not the $12.99 single-disc.
Old 09-25-10, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 122 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by kd5
I don't see many "DVD Bargains" in those pics, looks like 99% Blu-Ray sales. I swear, BestBuy has gotten so lame on their DVD sales it isn't even funny. I go to our local BestBuy every week, and it seems like every time I peruse the DVDs, they have the same old crap they've had on sale for the preceeding several weeks. What do they do, change up the sale items monthly? Bi-monthly? Are they waiting for Black Friday to have a decent sale? -kd5-
Yeah, it seems like the only people who haven't gone 100% Blu-Ray are us consumers. The MPAA & the stores so want us to repurchase our movie collection for the 3rd time.
Old 09-26-10, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by kd5
I agree. I noticed the good DVD deals started to go away when Circuit City went under, so Best Buy's DVD prices have sucked for a long time. Since then it's been a rarity that I buy any movies from them... mainly Deal of the Days or occasional combo deals on Blu-Rays. It's really hard for me to pay $5 for a DVD now. I look back and see all of those $3.99 or $4.99 DVD "special deals" I bought back when Circuit City was around and see those same titles for sale at Barnes & Noble for $1.79 or Big Lots for $3 and think how stupid I was to buy so many $3.99 and $4.99 DVDs when many of them are still sealed.

Originally Posted by MooMooMooMoo
Yeah, it seems like the only people who haven't gone 100% Blu-Ray are us consumers. The MPAA & the stores so want us to repurchase our movie collection for the 3rd time.
I've seen decent Blu-Ray players in the $50-$100 range many times over the last year at Target, Sears, Best Buy, Walmart, and Amazon. There's really no reason not to own a Blu-Ray player (just in case you see a Blu-Ray movie you want to buy) unless you are living on the edge, paycheck to paycheck, and I'd be surprised if those people had cable Internet access and would be frequenting DVD/Blu-Ray specials forums. I understand why stores are mostly advertising Blu-Rays: there are some people who want to upgrade their old DVD catalog titles to Blu-Rays and there's still some margin in Blu-Rays which haven't yet dropped to the $3-$5 mark most catalog DVDs have, whereas catalog DVDs have been so cheap for so long that most people (who buy DVDs) probably already have them all, so I think it's a better bang for the buck in their ads to devote the space to catalog title Blu-Rays than catalog title DVDs. About the only DVDs you'll see advertised are fairly recent/new releases. For new releases quite often the Blu-Ray is only a little bit more than the DVD, so I don't understand why anyone would buy the DVD, but for me it doesn't matter because I'm too cheapskate to buy new release movies in any format... except for certain Disney Blu-Rays with coupon deals.

Last edited by Manzana; 09-26-10 at 01:21 PM.
Old 09-26-10, 03:24 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm just interested in the 1D SD but $19.99 is way too high for that. I Guess I'll now wait a few months for a price drop!
Old 09-26-10, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by kd5
There was a recent report in the Financial Times in which BB's CEO commented that there would be less emphasis in his stores on movies and music. I'm sure deals will show up at BB, but not like before. We may be seeing that move against pre-recorded media begin in earnest this year.

What will be interesting is to see how Black Friday plays out at BB, Target, WM. Hope I'm wrong, but it may not be what we might wish for.
Old 09-26-10, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

^ I just got back from my local BB. They've recently completed a dramatic revamp of their media sections. While I can't say for sure that there are fewer SKUs than before, the floor space has definitely contracted as far as CDs, DVDs, and Blu-ray is concerned.
Old 09-26-10, 09:23 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

I went to my local BestBuy earlier today, still nothing. Same sale they had last week, the week before last, and the week before that. It almost seems to me like they could give a shit less about the customers anymore. I could give a shit less about Blu-Ray, I already have too much time, energy, and money invested in my DVD collection to care about upgrading to Blu-Ray. I'll just buy my DVDs online like I have been, screw BestBuy and their new business model. -kd5-
Old 09-27-10, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by kd5
I'll just buy my DVDs online like I have been, screw BestBuy and their new business model. -kd5-
This year the only "major" that has produced deals pour moi that are vaguely close to past performance is Deep Discount. Target is just pitiful. (One advertised item in 10 months!) Wal Mart not much better. Best Buy, a few items but not much. Amazon used to be huge for me, but this year it's a small fraction. The best deals by far have been at Big Lots, Half Price, Blockbuster used and various lawn and garage sales. I'd buy more from Amazon merchants, but they screw up half my orders.

I think DVD bargain-hunting is going to become a far more scrappy and improvisational activity. The days when the Sunday ads produced compelling offers are winding down.
Old 09-27-10, 08:08 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by drmar35mm
The days when the Sunday ads produced compelling offers are winding down.
And the days where DVD bargain hunters frequent these stores in search of good prices will wind down proportionately. It's a vicious circle, these places stop having good sales, their traffic drops off, but instead of picking up with a good sale they raise prices on everything else to compensate for their loss of sales, which then perpetuates the loss of traffic to their stores and ultimately the downward spiral of their overall business. They seem to do the most illogical things and lose, but they never learn from their (or other's) mistakes.

Geico said "People are smart!" I beg to disagree. -kd5-
Old 09-28-10, 10:26 PM

Thought this would all ready be posted; I'm late - just now getting online.

The figure for "Superman/Batman: Apocalypse" DVD... did not happen. It was a Blu-Ray exclusive.

That sucks.

While there this morning I only saw one copy with the figure and it looked like the face was kinda smushed in. Oh well.
Old 09-28-10, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

I don't like how they've switched from "action" figures to figurines. I was looking forward to an Owl Man and Red Hood action figure.
Old 09-29-10, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by JohnIan
Thought this would all ready be posted; I'm late - just now getting online.

The figure for "Superman/Batman: Apocalypse" DVD... did not happen. It was a Blu-Ray exclusive.

That sucks.

While there this morning I only saw one copy with the figure and it looked like the face was kinda smushed in. Oh well.
We've known that from all along. If you had actually looked at the ad it points to a little footnote saying it's only valid on blu-ray.
Old 09-29-10, 03:29 PM

Just visited the BB at Mall of America (just down the road from BB HQ) and it's clear that they're letting the DVD shelves start to empty. Much empty shelf space and obviously little or no restocking. Is this goodbye to BB as a major bricks and mortar DVD source? I didn't bother to check Blu Ray. Curious to learn if others are seeing the same.
Old 09-29-10, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by drmar35mm
Just visited the BB at Mall of America (just down the road from BB HQ) and it's clear that they're letting the DVD shelves start to empty. Much empty shelf space and obviously little or no restocking. Is this goodbye to BB as a major bricks and mortar DVD source? I didn't bother to check Blu Ray. Curious to learn if others are seeing the same.
Yeah, I just recently went to two of my local BB's for the first time in a month or so and they both merged the DVD/Blu-Ray's with the ever shrinking CD section of the store. It's hard to tell just how much less of a stock they have now compared to before, but it's definitely less.
Old 09-29-10, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,220 Likes on 837 Posts

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
I don't like how they've switched from "action" figures to figurines. I was looking forward to an Owl Man and Red Hood action figure.
I agree ... "figurines" are porceline and so girlie ... "action figures" are manly with 12-points of @ss-kicking articulation.

(Just ribbing you)
Old 09-29-10, 11:09 PM

If you had actually looked at the ad it points to a little footnote saying it's only valid on blu-ray.
*curious pause; rised eyebrow*

Hmmm. Okay.

I'll bite.

I did mention that in the very first post.

"Minimum 2 per store. No rainchecks. Offer vaid on Blu-ray only." Does that mean, only 2 sets for Blu-Ray at stores. Or no DVD sets with figure, just Blu?
The offer of only two sets with figures on Blu, but more available sets on DVD??? The notice wasn't explicit enough. It should've read something like 'Minimum 2 per store. No rainchecks. Exclusive figure only valid for Blu-ray.' That would've cleared things up real easy. I wasn't the only one who was confused. I ran into another guy looking for the same set on DVD. *shrugs*