View Single Post
Old 09-19-10, 01:55 PM   #59
asianxcore
DVD Talk Legend

Re: The 6th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31) ***The List Thread

asianxcore's "October Horror Movie Challenge 2010"

Personal Goal: 100
2010 October Horror Challenge Total: 86
2009 October Horror Challenge Total: 37
# Of First Time Viewings: 37/86 (43%)
DVD's Watched: 66/86 (76%)
BD's Watched: 14/86 (16%)
HD-DVD's Watched: 3/86 (0.034%)

**Awards**
Best 1st Time Viewing: The House Of The Devil (2009)
Best Repeat Viewing: Shaun Of The Dead (2004)
Best Death Scene: Julius (Friday The 13th: Part VIII)
Best Overall Gore: Hostel (2005) & Wishmaster (1997)
Hottest Horror Babes: Liv Tyler (The Strangers), Jaime Murray (The Deaths Of Ian Stone) & Robin Sydney (Wicked Lake)
Best Use Of Random Objects: Sick Girl (2007)
Best "WTF" Moment: Sexy lady barbs (Rabid)
Funniest Film Moment: Werewolf rape (Big Bad Wolf)
Biggest Disappointment: Stagefright (1987)
Best "Oh god, why am I watching this?": Stay Alive (2006)
Best "Why do I physically own this film?": Black X-Mas (2006)
Worst boobs: Wrestlemanic (2006)

October 1st:

1. Halloween (2007): Count me in the (small) camp that liked this film. The first half of the film where Rob Zombie explores a possible back story for Michael Myers, is interesting and paced pretty well. Unfortunately, when Rob Zombie goes for the mirror of John Carpenter's original film in the second half of his version, things get sluggish and almost boring.

2. House of 1,000 Corpses (2003): Even though it wears it's influence (The Texas Chainsaw Massacre) very clearly on it's arm, this is still an extremely fun film that has a lot going for it. My absolutely favorite thing about the film is it's visual style. Falling somewhere between Rob Zombie's music video work and Grindhouse films, you can't even blame this film for ever having a boring visual moment. Also worth mentioning is Sid Haig, Sheri Moon-Zombie and Bill Moseley are all amazing in their roles.

3. The Devil's Rejects (2005): Easily Rob Zombie's best film thus far in his career and one of my favorite Horror films of the past decade. Honestly though, it would be unfair to just call this a Horror film as it melds Horror, Exploitation and Western all in a tasty concoction. Dialogue is king in this film. All my favorite roles from the film before are played to perfection yet again by Sid Haig, Sheri Moon-Zombie and Bill Moseley.

October 2nd:

4. Halloween 2 (2009): This film wasn't as awful as almost every review said it was. The problem here is that there are so many different pieces/ideas that don't have a focus and in the end don't fit all together. Another thing that bugged me about this film was Scout Taylor-Compton. Her portrayal of a tortured Laurie Strode was more grating/annoying than anything else. The film's sometimes exceedingly violent tone oddly might be it's only shining light.

5. The Strangers (2008): On the surface what seems like just another "jump-scare" film, ends up being a fantastic slow-burn of a Horror film. Atmosphere and Sound Design are used extremely well here. My absolute favorite thing about this film is the explanation to why the couple is at their vacation home in the first place. It's a brilliant yet simple scheme to bring an air of sadness way before even the first masked lunatic makes an appearance.

October 3rd:

6. Martin (1978): Extremely underrated Horror film Directed/Written by George A. Romero. The concept is great and I enjoyed the constant mash of Vampires and Religious Fervor. The film does drag a bit in a couple spots but luckily John Amplas (Martin) and Lincoln Maazel (Cuda) play their parts well enough to push it through the muck. Definitely check out this unique gem if you haven't already.

7. Grace (2009): Paul Solet's 2009 film, with it's influences such as Rosemary's Baby worn on it's sleeve and it's constant respect to it's subject matter, easily made it on my favorites list of 2009. The film is extremely slow-paced, opting to worm it's way under your skin rather than dig in for the all flash, no substance approach to Horror. Jordan Ladd (Madeline) plays a mother who slowly descends into madness in a subtle yet emotionally effective manner. Not to be outdone Gabrielle Rose plays Madeline's Mother-In-Law to levels of near insanity/annoyance. Great film for those who love Psychological Horror. My only qualms with the film come with 1.5 completely unnecessary sub-plots that do nothing for the film other than slow it's pace even further. Much respect to Director/Writer Paul Solet, for the film's choice of fantastic Cinematography, Score and the decision not to have a crazy CGI-baby.

8. Orphan (2009): It's amazing really. Take all the normal conventions of the Horror Genre, replace them with children, then watch the insanity, intensity and creepiness sky-rocket through the roof. In what should have been just another "Creepy Kid" film, turns out to be something a little special. Namely because of the film constant intensity, tension and it's extremely insane lead character Esther (Isabelle Fuhrman). Even though the film runs a little longer than it should at 123 minutes, it pays off with white-knuckle tension, great atmosphere and a incredibly violent tone. The final act may or may not turn first time viewers off to the film, but it alone definitely shows how many boundaries this film is willing to cross.

9. From Dusk Till Dawn (1996): Not much needs to be said about this Robert Rodriguez film. It's complete and utter fun, from beginning to end. George Clooney, Quentin Tarantino, Harvey Keitel, Danny Trejo, Tom Savini, Fred Williamson, Vampires, Boobs, Blood, Booze. What else do you really need?

10. The Collector (2009): Writers Patrick Melton and Marcus Dunstan (of Saw IV, V, VI fame), try their hand at giving Horror fans a new icon. Their attempt is sort of a coin flip. The film excels at creating a completely pitch-black tone and revels in it's bleak nature. It also excels in creating a claustrophobic environment which is further helped by the idea of a booby-trapped home (Saw II comes to mind). Where it fails are it's characters, which are 99% forgettable. Unfortunately, this also means our killer is pretty much run of the mill. His motives are definitely out of the ordinary, but this is no Jason Voorhees, Freddy Krueger or Michael Myers. I almost feel that any villain could have been put in this script and been just as bland. This film is definitely worth a look for the traps as well as it's Cat-and-Mouse aspect during it's 90 minute run time.

October 4th:

11. Smash Cut (2009):
How far is Able Whitman (David Hess) willing to go for his art? This film is a clear tribute to Herschell Gordon Lewis and Schlock Cinema. Though it isn't always a 100% success, it does end up being fun because of how much it's actors put into it. David Hess is fantastic in the main role as Able Whitman and surprisingly Sasha Grey is better here than she was in Steven Soderbergh's The Girlfriend Experience. The film's laughs are spread throughout the film but the scene featuring Sasha Grey reading Hamlet, is worth the price of admission alone.

12. The Final Destination (2009): I've always loved this series. It cares very little about character development and overall plot because it knows exactly what it is. It's not ashamed in the fact that this film exists only for the reasons of creative death scenes and body count. The supposed final film in this franchise definitely delivers on the body count, but this time around death scenes are a little less creative and more basic/visceral. Chalk that up to a possible lack of new ideas (the second film had my favorite death scene of the series) or the pressure to make death scenes that fit the 3-D format. Either way, the film is still a ridiculous amount of dumb fun and isn't hiding the fact that the series has pretty much cloned itself since the first film.

13. His Name Was Jason: 30 Years Of Friday The 13th (2009): A documentary I was extremely excited about, ended up being one the biggest disappointments I've viewed as of late. The documentary spends almost half it's time having Directors, Writers, and Actors of the various films, speak about Jason Voorhees as a character and summarize the plot of each film. It's only when the documentary shifts into the personal stories from the set and personal experiences of those involved, that it starts to peak my interest. There is too much unnecessary filler here and not nearly enough for hardcore fans.

14. The Slumber Party Massacre (1982): Though it seems relatively slow and tame compared to many other Slasher Films, I really enjoy this film. Maybe it's the part of me that enjoys a good cheesy themed Slasher Film, or maybe it's because Russ Thorn (Michael Villella) is so damn creepy. You have to give credit to a film (of this genre) that has it's first contact of nudity dropping at the 1 minute and 47 second mark. Also randomly find it hilarious that our killer's weapon of choice is a phallic-shaped one (a particular shot in the garage is genius). Recommended to anyone who loves cheesy Slasher Films, pass if you don't.

October 5th:

15. Body Melt (1993): This little Australian Splat-Stick film was constantly being compared to other films in the genre, such as Dead Alive and Bad Taste. Unfortunately, this film is nowhere in the same league as those films. I came into this film looking forward to something similar to the two mentioned before with maybe a sprinkle of Street Trash. I got maybe 3% of that. Yes, the film is gory (selectively) and completely dripping with neon goop. The problem is that there clearly isn't enough of it and the films characters as well as it's plot aren't nearly strong enough to hold it up on their own. By the time the goop starts to really make it's mark, there is maybe 10-15 minutes left in the film. In the end, a film that shouldn't seem dull or boring on paper, actually is.

16. The House Of The Devil (2009): Believe the hype. This is a perfect example of a film that is just as much a 1980's Horror Throwback film, as it is a great film of it's own identity. Everything is picture perfect here. The film is extremely well cast from top to bottom (Lead played by Jocelin Donahue is my favorite). Costumes and set design reflect the time period perfectly. Last but not least the score is fantastic. This film will reward your patience as the last 15 minutes of the film are a dizzying amount of chaos, for the 1 hour and 15 minutes of skin peeling tension before it. Patience is a virtue, enjoy this film.

17. Quarantine (2008):
The American Remake of the Spanish Masterpiece, [REC]. Not much is different here, which is good and bad at the same time. Bad, because the film really doesn't have it's own identity, essentially being Visual and Verbal subtitles for movie-goers who don't like Foreign Films. On the other hand Jaume Balaguero and Paco Plaza's [REC] was so incredibly perfect, why would you change anything? There are a couple of name changes, scenes that drag on longer or are slightly different, but folks you are looking at a mirror image here. Either way, the film is still extremely kinetic and lots of fun. Fans of the original will find things to like here.

October 6th:

18. The Burning (1981): A Slasher Film with Fisher Stevens and Jason Alexander? Even though this film is mentioned in the same breath as Friday the 13th (for many reasons), it does a decent job at slightly separating itself. Though the kills feel far and few between, FX work by Tom Savini is fantastic here. Nudity also rears it's head here and there in this flick. Blood and boobs? That's all that's needed for a decent Slasher right? Well, the setup for the film's villain is great (first 15 minutes) but somewhere along the line the film starts to drag and nothing interesting happens. Unfortunately in this viewing, I felt the film was a little too dull for something that seemed to have all the ingredients for a great time.

19. Dr. Giggles (1992): This film is far from perfect, but holy hell is it a lot of fun. Larry Drake (Dr. Giggles) is 100% to thank for that. The things I love about the film are it's mythology (which is pretty rad) and also the fact that it rarely takes itself too seriously. It also sticks to it's Medical/Doctor theme (which is further enhanced by Drake's performance) in both it's death scenes as well as it's humor. The film might rival Bad Boys II, as containing some of the funniest one-liners ever. Way too much fun in this little underrated Slasher. Seriously, who even has a Band-Aid that big anyway?

October 7th:

20. Big Bad Wolf (2006): What a complete surprise. This film was more random and schlocky than I could ever imagine. Take the slimiest guy (Richard Tyson), throw him in a Werewolf film, sneak in the typical Slasher formula, sprinkle in some Comedy (talking Werewolves?) and you have a fun time. Wait, did I mention that Richard Tyson plays a Werewolf that rapes women? Yes, you heard me right, a Werewolf that rapes women (multiple times actually). I thought I had seen it all and this film decides to shit on my brain. Great gore effects/death scenes and enough random fun for all to enjoy.

October 8th:

21. Stagefright (1987): It might be blasphemous to say but Michele Soavi's Italian Slasher film is a little on the dull side. Atmosphere/Environment (Old theater/constant storm) is great, there are some inventive/gory kills and there is half a boob's worth of nudity. The problem is that this film takes too long to get interesting. It sees it's tension peak a little past the 1 hour and 10 minute mark. Don't get me wrong it's a decent entry into the Slasher genre, but for a market that is already flooded with clones, I was hoping for a little more in this one. Luckily for Horror fans, 7 years later, Michele Soavi would go on to direct the genre classic, Dellamorte Dellamore (aka Cemetary Man).

22. Crawlspace (1972):
Great Made-For-TV Horror/Thriller, that manages to never overstay it's welcome (74 minute run time). Without the solid performances by Arthur Kennedy (Albert Graves) and Tom Happer (Richard Atlee), the film would have definitely been pretty awful. Teresa Wright's (Alice Graves) character was pretty annoying though, which would be my only downside to the film. Extremely simple, yet effective premise that creates tension in a multitude of ways.

23. Return Of The Living Dead: Part II (1988):
Plot-wise, this film screams deja-vu, but ends up being a fun, yet extremely cheesy Zombie romp. FX work by Kenny Meyers and Williams Munns is great, though sometimes a little too cartoon-like for my tastes. Even then we still get screwdriver stabbings, Zombies getting blown in half, and scalps endlessly getting munched on. Not as great as the first film in the series, but still enjoyable. Worth the price of admission for the random Michael Jackson Zombie and late-80's electric shock FX work.

24. Hostel (2005)
**{with Audio Commentary with Eli Roth, Scott Spiegal, Boaz Yakin & Quentin Tarantino}**: Once this film's commentary track gets off the Ego-Stroking early on, it's very enjoyable. There are a lot of personal stories about the filming, writing, FX work and many other things you would expect in a commentary such as this one. I did enjoy Scott Spiegal's puns (hand brake!), Roth's stories about filming in Prague and also a great bit about being called a Gorilla by Slovakian girls. Yakin doesn't do too much here, since he clearly gets talked over by the rest of the Producers and Director Eli Roth. Later moments of the film are nice on this track since the commentary starts to reflect set design, or what is actually going on the screen. Love the entire crew's verbal reaction to a particular shot in the film's ending.

25. Cannibal Ferox (1981):
Although it contains some really great gore set-pieces (namely one involving Zora Kerova), Umberto Lenzi's attempt at the Cannibal film, just seems too similar to Ruggero Deodato's Cannibal Holocaust. I'd almost be inclined to say that it feels like a more drawn out and watered down version of the said film. Lenzi's film contains almost all the elements that made Deodato's film great, but ends up being extremely boring. Oddly enough the cause of it might be Lenzi's need to top all the Horror/Gore elements of Deodato's film.

26. Repo! The Genetic Opera (2008): Whether you love this film or hate it really depends on how you feel about the film's musical score (obviously). I instantly fell in love with the score, so everything else was icing on the cake. Anthony Stewart Head, who plays a great Jekyll/Hyde character (Nathan Wallace) steals every scene that he is in. Also even though Bill Moseley (Luigi Largo) and Ogre (Pavi Largo) are used sparingly in this film, when they are on screen, they are also fantastic. This might be one of the few times I've seen Paris Hilton and not been annoyed. Then again it's probably because seeing her face fall off on-stage is pretty hilarious. My only qualm with the film comes with the need to sing every line of dialogue (even when it isn't leading into a song).

October 9th:

27. Frozen (2010): In the tradition of films like Open Water, Adam Green's film plays on some of our most primal fears. Heights. Being stranded. Feeling helpless. Pacing is great and the film felt a lot shorter than it's run time suggested. Also surprisingly our three main actors, Shawn Ashmore (of the X-Men franchise), Kevin Zegers and Emma Bell are all solid in their roles. So suspend a little belief and enjoy this frightening little Horror/Thriller. I'll probably never look at a Wolf or Ski Lift the same way again.

28. Let Me In (2010): Even though there are strong performances by Chloe Moretz (Abby) and Richard Jenkins (The Father), this remake of the 2008 film "Let The Right One In", is a little too much like a "Greatest Hits" album for my tastes. I did enjoy the slight changes to the script on a couple scenes (including a connection between Abby and The Father), but I felt the film had trouble gaining it's own identity, opting to just following the motions. CGI work here is pretty poor as well (think fight scenes from Blade II) and comes off too cartoon-like. One our leads Owen (played by Kodi Smit-McPhee) is pretty dull and seems to read off the cues/notes of the original film. With all that said, the film is still enjoyable and should be checked out.

October 10th:

29. Piranha (1978): Breeding mutant Piranha to fight the North Vietnamese? Awesome! Joe Dante's Jaws-Rip-Off film is fantastic. It purely delivers on everything you would want from a film like this. Bubbling red water everywhere. I absolutely love the scene where Heather (Maggie McKeown) plays the Jaws video game at the airport.

30. The Ugly (1997): Neat little Serial Killer/Psychological Horror film out of New Zealand. Casting (minus the odd choice of Orderlies) is solid all around especially Paolo Rotondo (Simon Cartwright), who pretty much carries this entire film. Where this film excels is it's visual cues and there are some fantastic shots in this film. From the appearance of the "Visitors" and an amazing silhouette of Simon Cartwright's Mother one night, are some highlights. The film doesn't necessarily do anything we haven't seen before (see Silence Of The Lambs) but has enough interesting visuals and a solid performance by Paolo Rotondo, to keep it from being another film in the pile.

31. Wicked Lake (2008): So much fun in this little low-budget film directed by Zack Passero. I've always enjoyed seeing the tables turned in Horror films and seeing Women as the hunters. A good group of inbreed hillbillies, decide to prey on a group of young girls, unknown to them that they are indeed a Coven of Witches. Surprisingly, there are splashes of the Rape/Revenge genre here, which makes this entire film that much more interesting. Pacing is solid and there is definitely enough buckets of blood to satisfy. Brain Slurpees, Microwave-Ready Decapitated Heads and possibly the hottest Coven ever?

October 11th:

32. Friday The 13th: A New Beginning (1985):
A Friday The 13th film without Jason Voorhees? Well sort of. What we get here is a Pseudo-Jason, but all the things that make the series fun. Lots of boobs and creative kills (belt across the eyes!). We also get somewhat of a cliffhanger concerning our (not so little) grown-up, Tommy Jarvis (John Shepherd). Who kills a man when he's trying to take a legitimate dump?

33. Friday The 13th Part VI: Jason Lives (1986): This is more like it. The real Jason Voorhees returns in hilarious fashion to take care of business. I only wish that Tommy Jarvis (this time played by Thom Mathews) didn't annoy the shit out of me in this film. The one instance of 80's Dance Sex almost had me in tears.

34. Friday The 13th Part VII: The New Blood (1988): The MPAA completely ravaged this film. I feel robbed. This film has one of the most annoying cast ensembles in the Friday The 13th series and I don't get the joy of seeing most of those tools get snuffed. Minus our lead Tina (Lar Park-Lincoln) and her awesome showdown with Jason Voorhees at the finale, this film is a complete bore-fest.

35. Friday The 13th (1980):
Genre Classic. Not much to say here other than that. I've seen this film more times than I can count and I still love it. Score by Henry Manfredini is great. How ridiculously creepy is Betsy Palmer in this film?

October 12th:

36. Friday The 13th Part II (1981): Great pacing and just as fun as the first film. The second film contains some of my favorite kills in the series, including one that is lifted straight from Mario Bava's 1971 film, "Twitch Of The Death Nerve". Last 20 minutes of the film are gold. Poor Mark (Tom McBride), the guy had brown silk panties in his near future.

37. Friday The 13th Part III (1982): Jason Voorhees finally gets his Iconic Hockey Mask. Andy (Jeffrey Rogers) gets an awesome death scene. Fox (Gloria Charles) seems to be in awe of a barn. That's it. Incredibly boring film with hilarious 3-D format cues. It's like the Yo-Yo is actually in your face!

38. Friday The 13th: The Final Chapter (1984): Easily my favorite film in the series (besides the first). Part 4 also contains my favorite version of the Tommy Jarvis (Corey Feldman) character. It also has Tom Savini returning to do FX work, which is great here. The series started to do sort of a slippery-slope in terms of quality after this film, but Part 4 still remains one of the strongest entries. Someone please tell me how a hammer sticks to a wall like that?

October 13th:

39. Jason Goes To Hell: The Final Friday (1993): Not even great FX/Gore from KNB can save this steaming turd of a film. The film has more in common with Jonas Quastel's 2008 film, "Scourge" than it does with any film in the Friday The 13th series. In 91 minutes time, we are expected to throw out all the mythos that had been built in the 8 films before this one and gladly ingest new ones?

40. Friday The 13th Part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan (1989):
Very boring. The film runs 100 (!) minutes and I have to wait for more than half of it to see Charles McCulloch (Peter Mark Richman) die. In essence, that means I spent a long time being highly annoyed during this viewing. Minus some really cool shots of Jason Voorhees in Manhattan (last 40 minutes of the film) and Julius (Vincent Craig Dupree) losing a hilarious boxing match, the film is awful. Apparently Jason Voorhees looks sort of like a Muppet when he's covered in toxic waste. Don't even get me started on the awful film score.

41. Jason X (2001):
Too much fun crammed into one film. Different enough (Sci-Fi?) to stay interesting but Director James Isaac and Writers Victor Miller/Todd Farmer know what this series thrives on. Jason Voorhees, boobs (removable nipples!), and gore (smashed face anyone?). The addition of an Uber-Jason as well as a hilarious holographic simulation of Camp Crystal Lake are only icing on the cake. "Jason-Fucking-Voorhees, that's what's going on!".

October 14th:

42. Freddy Vs. Jason (2003): To be honest, I'm not really sure when this film stopped being fun to watch. Maybe I finally realized the dialogue is horrendous and the acting is embarrassing. Robert Englund (Freddy Krueger) and Ken Kirzinger (Jason Voorhees) seem to be the only two in this entire film who are having fun. Can't say much about the rest of the cast, who seem to have constant trouble acting their way out of a paper bag. Also, how did anyone allow Kelly Rowland (of the Pop/R&B group, Destiny's Child) to last almost 90% of the film? Sorry, not even Monica Keena's boobs can save this one.

October 17th:

43. Friday The 13th (2009): Director Marcus Nispel takes another stab at a beloved Horror franchise. Unlike his work with The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2003), which took me a little bit to warm up to, I really enjoyed his work with the lore of Jason Voorhees. There are plenty of things here that make the film fun (including a new twist). Enough nudity and interesting kills (a great take on a old goodie!) to keep the film moving along. Our lead Jared Padalecki (Supernatural) is solid here, even though the rest of the cast (minus the entertaining Aaron Yoo) is awful. Derek Mears (The Hills Have Eyes 2) is fantastic as Jason Voorhees and is more like the classic Jason than Ken Kirzinger (Freddy Vs. Jason) was. My only negatives about the film are the highly annoying Trent (Travis Van Winkle) and Nispel's shooting style. Many shots in this film are beautiful, the problem is 98% of the film is poorly lit and it does get trying when you can't really see anything. The film ends up being a new take on the first 3 films in the series, but is definitely a fun addition.

44. Black X-Mas (2006): Completely unnecessary remake of the 1974 Canadian Classic. This film is terrible. All the creepiness of the original film is gone. Glen Morgan's script is boring, extremely tedious and runs on one-note for 94 minutes. The constant flashbacks and explanation of our villain, help make the film even more of a chore to sit through. A yellow-skinned killer, really? Only positive thing I can say about this film was the decision to cast Mary Elizabeth Winstead (Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World) as eye candy. Honestly, I think I had more fun getting my Wisdom Teeth taken out than sitting through this garbage.

45. Leprechaun (1993):
Cheesy and slow-paced. Hardly the worst Horror film I've ever seen, but not as fun as the later entries in the series. Yes, Jennifer Aniston (Friends) is in this. Average film, but worth watching if you want to see Warwick Davis (Harry Potter series) act completely silly and insane. Apparently a Go-Kart can flip over a Pickup Truck.

46. The Deaths Of Ian Stone (2007): What I thought would end up being a Horror/Thriller version of "Groundhog Day", morphs into something completely different. Ian Stone (Mike Vogel) is dying every day but is being reborn into a different life each time. As the film progresses, we follow him as he searches for answers. Definitely more of a Thriller/Mystery than a full on Horror film, this Stan Winston produced film is DTV fun. The story is very interesting and the film is kinetic enough to keep things at a fun pace. Some of the makeup is unintentionally laughable, but overall fits the vibe. The film gets extra points for casting the extremely gorgeous Jaime Murray (Dexter) as one of the lead roles. Recommended for those who like their Supernatural Thriller/Horror films a little unique.

October 18th:

47. Tenebre (1982): Great Giallo and easily one of my favorite Dario Argento films. Soundtrack by Goblin is awesome. Some really great kills (the finale is ridiculous!) in this one as well as Bullmer's (John Saxon) fantastic hat. This one is a whole lot of fun and will leave you guessing until the bitter end.

48. A Nightmare On Elm Street (2010): Platinum Dunes gets their mitts on another beloved Horror franchise. The results are just average. I really enjoyed the fleshing out of Freddy Krueger's Origin (minus his Occupation), since it goes places the Original film sort of hinted at. The opening credits I also thought were fantastic. That's where the positive marks end. Though he's clearly trying, Jackie Earle Haley (Watchmen) is no Robert Englund. The new makeup isn't quite right and Haley doesn't quite have the physical presence that Englund had in the Original film. The pacing is quite sloppy here and drags it's way along as the mystery unfolds. Also whereas the Original film masterfully blurred the lines between dreams and reality to the viewer, the lines are almost too defined in this version. It's a good attempt, but Platinum Dunes' remakes of Friday The 13th (2009) and The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2003), were so much more fun. Someone please tell Thomas Dekker (Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles), to ease up on the guyliner.

49. 30 Days Of Night: Dark Days (2010): Being a huge fan of the Novels as well as the 2007 film, I was excited to see a DTV sequel rear it's Vampiric head. I was even more excited when I found out that Steve Niles (Writer of the Novels) would be involved in the script of this film. This sequel is not nearly as good as the first film, but is easily one of the better DTV Horror films I've seen in a long while. I appreciate the film's completely pitch-black tone, opting to stay in a pool of depression rather than add spikes of One-Liner Comedy to lighten up the mood. The film is extremely slow-paced (which matches it's mood perfectly) and filled with good amounts of action/gore. Also have to mention that I loved the opening sequence (so much levels of bad ass).

50. Night Of The Demons (2009): Adam Gierasch's (Autopsy) take on the 1988 Classic. For most of it's run time, this remake is pretty fun. There are enough ample boobs to go around and enough gore to fill up a swimming pool. I have to also acknowledge the new version of the infamous "Lipstick Gag", which in this 2009 version had me laughing for well over 5 minutes. It has to be seen to be believed. The film is also fun because the cast is pretty solid. Edward Furlong (Terminator 2) and John F. Beach (Fear Clinic) are surprisingly likable. The rest of the cast, including Shannon Elizabeth (who plays Angela) are obviously all eye candy but interestingly enough are not as annoying as these roles tend to bring out. Drac Studios does a fantastic job with FX/Makeup work, even though it's hard to appreciate once the film's lighting takes a severe backseat. My only negative here is the casting of Monica Keena (Freddy Vs. Jason). Her acting ability is that of Vanilla Ice Cream and it only gets worse once the script forces her to be sort of a Nostradamus of Demonology near the end of the film. Not as potent as the 1988 film, but still fun nonetheless. Demonic Possession through Anal Sex?

October 19th:

51. Reeker (2005): Solid film with great atmosphere and cinematography. Unfortunately, those things don't help make the movie fully enjoyable. The problems here are it's villain and script. Our villain (we are to believe) is a version of Death that smells. The idea is a little goofy and doesn't trade too well on screen. The script is solid in it's first half, but shows in it's latter half that the film would be stronger had it been a short. We get too many instances in the film where our characters are wandering and not doing much of anything. Did this film really need a twist ending?

52. Going To Pieces: The Rise and Fall Of The Slasher Film (2006):
Great documentary. Lots of great personal stories about on-set experiences, pitches and production. I love the attention being paid to the Slasher genre as a whole, as opposed to just it's most popular ones. Even April Fool's Day (1986) gets some hilarious attention here. Also it's interesting to see Directors such as John Carpenter, Wes Craven, and Amy Holden Jones speak of Slashers as a reflection of the times. Highly recommended to all Horror fans. R.I.P Stan Winston

53. My Soul To Take *3-D* (2010): Lord, I've been waiting for so long for Wes Craven to make a triumphant return back to Horror. Sure, he's Written/Produced some fun flicks, but it's been a long wait for the Director/Writer in him to come back to the fold. It's been 14 years since Scream and unfortunately it looks like it might be a longer wait. This film is so messy it's confusing. Not sure if it wants to be a "Coming-Of-Age" film, or hold the fingerprints of A Nightmare On Elm Street (1984). There isn't much of anything here other than mass confusion. Things get even worse when a chaotic flurry of explanations come at the end of the film, which do nothing more but inject more confusion into our veins. Too many things are wrong here (Cast and Script being the major part) and unfortunately fans of Wes' previous work will have to lay dormant for a little while longer. At least Emily Meade is easy on the eyes.

54. Sick Girl (2007): Plot, dialogue and acting aside, this Low-Budget flick has a couple of solid gore set pieces. That's pretty much all it has going for it. Sitting through the film was sort of like nails on a chalkboard. At least the viewing yielded Nuns getting urinated on, corpses being sewn together and a completely new meaning to the words, Strap-On Dildo.

October 20th:

55. Wishmaster (1997): So much fun! Solid story and good pacing. FX by KNB (Robert Kurtzman directs the film) are amazing and you know what you are in for within the first 5 minutes. I love the design for the Djinn (Andrew Divoff), though he does look better with a shroud on. Snake people, skeletons coming out of bodies, visual Cancer, face peeling. Just a small taste of what's in store in this fun gore-fest.

56. Wishmaster 2: Evil Never Dies (1999): Sequels are rarely good and this film is more proof of it. Though it's nice to see Andrew Divoff reprising his role as The Dijinn, not much else here is worth writing home about. FX this time around are handled by SOTA FX. Even though their update to the Dijnn costume is appreciated, it comes off a little too cartoon-like. Our leads played by Holly Fields (Morgana) and Paul Johansson (Gregory) are quite annoying. Also didn't like all the Religious thumping the writers soaked in this film. I was also disappointed with the gore. Most of it starts pretty solid (early scenes in the prison) and then for some reason just sort of dissipates. The film is hard to sit through when the first film was so much more fun.

October 21st:

57. Demons 2 (1986): For a film that has all of the elements (including the Film-Within-A-Film) that made it's predecessor a good time, this film sure is dull. Sergio Stivaletti's FX work is clearly the highlight of the entire film. From the ridiculously rad transformation scenes, to just the Demon makeup in general. The sequel definitely needed a dose of the "less is more" ideal. Sure there are more Demons and more pedestrians, but what good are they if they literally have nothing to do? Hank's (Bobby Rhodes) indoor voice is pretty hilarious though.

58. The Town That Dreaded Sundown (1976): Love this film. Maybe because it's premise is very basic. Maybe it's because I love the setting of the film (1940's). It could also be that the film opts for creating chills and mood instead of being overtly flashy (minus the thrills of the finale). Really appreciate the Pseudo-Documentary style the film pops in an out of (with Narrative by Vern Steirman). Even though it's marked as a Cult Classic, this film is still criminally underrated.

59. Night Of The Demons (1988):
Make no mistake about it. Kevin Tenney's (Witchboard) film is 80's to the bone. The film is also a whole lot of fun. FX (which were done by Steve Johnson) are great. One of my absolute favorite things about this film is that the house is just as an important character as anyone in the cast. I also love the random bits of bad dialogue for comedic moments. Also for some reason Linnea Quigley's (The Return Of The Living Dead) lower half is utterly hypnotic in this film. "Eat a bowl of fuck! I am here to party!"

October 22nd:

60. Don't Answer The Phone! (1980): I wonder if Nicholas Worth (Kirk Smith) knows how creepy he played his character? This film is completely mediocre, but (oddly enough) saved by the fact that it is ridiculously sleazy. It's pretty much 94 minutes of topless women, writhing around and being strangled. There is also a hilarious scene involving two cops and a massage parlor. Even though the film does have it's bits of comedy, don't be mistaken, this film is definitely mean-spirited at heart. Whether it influenced it or not, it's interesting to draw comparisons between this film and Nick Palumbo's 2004 film, "Murder-Set-Pieces".

61. Feast (2005): Written by Marcus Dunstan and Patrick Melton (of Saw IV, V & VI fame) this Horror/Comedy is a great time. I love how the film is only concerned with Character Archetypes (no names in this one!) and constantly cranks up the fun factor. It definitely delivered on everything I would want from a film like this. Cheesy, fun, campy, gory, and the inclusion of Krista Allen (The Final Destination). Monster cocks everywhere!

62. The Blob (1988): This remake of the 1958 film of the same name, is a whole lot of fun. Honestly, it wouldn't be nearly as good as it was without fantastic FX. Credit goes to Tony Gardner (Darkman) and John Caglione Jr. (Salt). Look no further if you need your blood and gore (sucked down a sink!) to run plenty. Might be blasphemous to say, but I find this film holds up so much better than the Original. Also who decided to give Kevin Dillon (Entourage) a Fabio-like haircut and shirt to match?

63. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 (1986): One of the few Horror sequels I love. Caroline Williams (Stretch), Bill Moseley (Chop Top) and a Chainsaw-Wielding, Religiously Crazy, Dennis Hopper (Lefty) all make this film for me. I also like the idea of moving the Sawyers out of the house and into a place a little more interesting (Nam Land!). Fantastic FX work by Tom Savini (Maniac) also doesn't hurt either.

October 23rd:

64. Puppet Master (1989): Full Moon Entertainment's pride and joy. Unfortunately the film hasn't aged well and shows that some of it's sequels are much better. Aside from the great Puppet designs, the film is really boring. Not much happens aside from the solid gore in the final 15 minutes. It's almost if the idea to have Psychics as the main characters in the plot was to stretch the length of the film. There is a lot of random nonsense in the film because of it. Psychics having sex is way awkward and it never gets boring to see Leech Woman puke leeches on people.

65. Puppet Master II (1991): The plot is still silly but this film is easily better than the first. Chalk that up to good pacing and the script opting for more Slasher fodder. No Leech Woman in this one, but we get the introduction of a new Puppet named Torch (annoying kids beware!). We also get more of Andre Toulon (this time played by Steve Wells), which was a nice change from the 10 minutes the character was in the first film. The obvious homages to The Invisible Man (1933) are well appreciated here.

October 24th:

66. Puppet Master III: Toulon's Revenge (1991): This prequel is easily the best film in the entire series. Andre Toulon (Guy Rolfe) taking on the Nazis? Sign me up! Pacing is not so bad here and the story is solid enough to keep things moving along. The plot is still silly in this film, but it's so much better than the two films before it (Psychics and Paranormal Investigators?). The introduction of the new Puppet, Six Shooter is great. Also it's nice to see more of the gore shown on screen as opposed to off to the side, like in the previous films. Origins of some of the Puppets are appreciated here, as well as the random bits of nudity.

67. Retro Puppet Master (1999):
What an awful and boring film. Was creating a prequel like this even necessary? The origins of Andre Toulon (Guy Rolfe/Greg Sestero) and his Puppets had already been addressed in the third film (also a prequel). To make matters worse, this film is rated PG-13. Even the great Puppet design for Dr. Death isn't a saving grace. Puppets chasing Mummies? It's even worse than it sounds.

68. Rabid (1977): David Cronenberg's (Videodrome) mish-mash of a Vampire, Zombie and Outbreak film. Aside from scenes of attacks, the film runs pretty flat after it's solid opening. This outing reminds me much of a stranger version of George A. Romero's 1973 film "The Crazies". Not much goes on here other than waiting around to see who gets infected next. Marilyn Chambers (Together) sports some really odd looking sores, but that won't stop (supposedly) every guy in Canada from creeping on her.

October 25th:

69. Saw II (2005): I remember for a while not liking this sequel very much. Over time I learned to enjoy it. Pacing is extremely quick and this entry doesn't suffer too much from "Flashback-Syndrome" that plagues it's later sequels. The film follows sort of the Slasher genre formula, making it a little more enjoyable. Like all the Saw films, it wouldn't be worth watching without Tobin Bell (who is great/wicked here) and some great traps (Needle Trap!). The Last House On The Left reference was also nice.

70. Planet Terror (2007): This film is almost un-reviewable for me. Casting and pacing are perfect. FX by Greg Nicotero and Howard Berger (KNB minus the K) are also great. It's impossible to watch this film and not have a huge grin on your face. Splashy blood and a good time!

71. Saw III (2006): Crispy on the outside, gory in the middle. Yet another fun sequel in the Saw franchise. Pacing in this one is a little uneven. Mostly because of the introduction of continuous flashbacks. This sequel has a little more of everything. More Jigsaw (Tobin Bell), Amanda (Shawnee Smith) and a lot more gore. The traps in this third film are amongst some of the best in the series (Pig Carcass and Crucifix Traps). The film also shares a similar structure which is later mirrored in the sixth film. Solid entry in the series, though 15 minutes could have been trimmed off.

72. Saw IV (2007): From the opening scene it's clear, Jigsaw (Tobin Bell) is missed. This entry in the series introduces many new characters and sheds more light on others. Problem here is there is just too much going on and it affects the film entirely. This is the point in the Saw franchise where time lines get shuffled with and puked on. It's almost too twisty for it's own good. Negatives aside we do get some great traps once again, Jigsaw (Tobin Bell) in flashbacks and more screen time for the gorgeous Jill Tuck (Betsy Russell). Far from the worst in the series (that belongs to the next film) but not as strong as previous films.

October 26th:

73. Saw V (2008): Worst film in the series. The logic and time lines get even sillier in this one. Also let's be clear, Costas Mandylor is no Tobin Bell. The idea of a "group trap" return in this film, but the execution is a tad bit better in the second film. What's even more frustrating is that the film feels like 95 minutes of Agent Peter Strahm (Scott Patterson) having "aha!" moments. The writers clearly dug themselves in a hole with the funky time lines and are clearly trying to write themselves out.

74. Saw VI (2009): The series returns to some fun! Some loose ends in the Saw time line are tied up in this one. More Jill Tuck (Betsy Russell) is always appreciated. Flashbacks are still here but show up as much as they did in the fourth film. Great traps in this, including what can be described as a "Merry-Go-Round-Of-Death". The only negative here is the plot. I dislike the Health Care system as much as the next person, but to base a film around it is a little silly. Did anyone else want to scream "Eddie Winslow!" when watching this film?

75. Saw (2004): I'm not really sure why this film is my favorite in the series. It owes it's look to David Fincher's 1995 film, "Se7en" and isn't nearly as refined as some of the later entries. Maybe it's because it has Cary Elwes (Robin Hood: Men In Tights) and Danny Glover (Lethal Weapon) in it's cast. It also might be because the film feels extremely straight forward compared to it's sequels. Either way the film is solid outside of it's shortcomings. It's also interesting to see how much the mythos of Jigsaw has changed since the first film. Have to admit that I laugh a little bit when Cary Elwes gets a little whiny.

October 27th:

76. Silent Night, Deadly Night (1984): I love Themed-Slasher Films. This one is no exception. The 1984 film that became the enemy of all parents when it was released is too much fun. Some great kills in this one (Sledding Accident!), Linnea Quigley's (The Return Of The Living Dead) boobs, annoying Nuns, and an Axe-Wielding Santa Claus. It's also possibly the only film where a woman gets upset after being saved from attempted rape.

October 28th:

77. Alice, Sweet Alice (1976): Solid film with an incredibly creepy looking killer. I have to applaud Paula E. Sheppard (Alice) for playing her character to an almost delightfully demented level. That was probably my favorite thing about the entire film. The first half of this film is fantastic, but I felt that my interested waned in it's second half. This is mainly because of a plot twist that almost seems unnecessary. It's introduction takes a lot of the sting out of the first half of the film. Also the film is a little long, made longer by slow pacing. Also have to mention that the score is fantastic and really makes this feel like an American Giallo film.

78. April Fool's Day (1986): More of a "Funhouse" type Horror film than the Slasher genre it constantly gets lumped into. This could have been a straight-up Themed Slasher film and been fun. Problem here is that it's not and ends up being really dull. On the positive side, there is one hilarious scene featuring two friends and a water well. The ending didn't bother me, it was that the film felt like a Mystery-influenced Teen Sex Comedy that did.

October 29th:

79. Wrestlemaniac (2006): Average Stalker/Horror film. Only made sort-of fun by it's ridiculously goofy concept and short run time (75 minutes). Gore is pretty solid (face tearing!) here as well. Where the film does shine are it's great location/sets (the "Wrestling" ring is a great visual) and it's interesting mythos. It's hard not to laugh seeing legendary wrestler Rey Misterio Sr. (El Mascarado) stalk a handful of dumb-asses.

80. Body Bags (1993): Showtime Television Horror Anthology, along the lines of Tales From The Crypt. The film contains 2 segments Directed by John Carpenter (Halloween) and 1 from Tobe Hooper (The Texas Chainsaw Massacre). Carpenter's segments, "The Gas Station" and "Hair" are both straight-to-the-point with the latter film being pretty funny. Hooper's segment, "Eye", is a little more drawn out/slow-paced but comes to an awesome conclusion. It's one of the great things about Horror Anthologies. The time limit is short, so they are always direct and don't meddle around with unnecessary characters/plot devices. Also worth mentioning is that John Carpenter is great as "The Coroner".

81. Faces Of Death (1978): The now infamous Mondo/Documentary series is pretty ingenious. Mixing stock footage with FX work (Allan A. Apone/Douglas J. White), the film constantly blurs what is real with what is not. Sometime it's pretty successful (Monkey Brain Dining) and sometimes it's pretty laughable (Bear Attack). By far the most disturbing aspects of the film are it's legit stock footage. Images from Concentration Camps as well as group Seal Clubbing are particularly chilling.

82. Shaun Of The Dead (2004):
It's insane to think that Edgar Wright and Simon Pegg's now Cult-Classic is 6 years old. The film's perfect balance of Comedy, Horror and Drama make it timeless. I seem to always catch something new every time I watch this film. CORNETTO!

October 30th:

83. Stay Alive (2006): Lord, the things you end up watching on TV during a late Saturday night. William Brent Bells' film is awful. It fails at every attempt at being scary. The only positive things I can say here are the random bits of humor are decent and the video game effects are interesting to look at. The audience (if there is any) for this film is just a little too limited. Stay awake! You might catch a glimpse at Peter Petrelli.

October 31st:

84. Daybreakers (2009): Last time the Spierig Brothers were on the scene, it was with their 2003 Zombie film, "Undead". It was extremely fun, but the writing was still suspect (especially in it's second half). Here the Spierig's return with a bang. Plot is solid and surprisingly fresh. The bits of gore (body explosions!) are extremely appreciated, though not overdone. The Vampiric World that the Spierig's create, is quite the sight. Also it's nice to see Willem Dafoe, Ethan Hawke and Sam Neill, all in a Vampire/Genre flick such as this one. They are all great in their roles, though Neill (Charles Bromley) feels limited compared to the other two. Looking for a Action/Vampire film that is a lot less Comedic (see the Blade Trilogy) and a little more fun? Here it is.

85. Dexter S05/E01 & E02 (2010):
It's hard to see early on where this season is headed only 2 episodes in. Most of their run time feels like an extension of Season 4, with a lot of questions, closure and blaming running rampant. It'll be interesting to see what void the "Kyle Butler" mystery will go to, as well as the "Roadkill" employee. I'm sort of hoping the cult angle goes somewhere. Not a fan of Christina Robinson (Astor), who has taken her character to near annoying levels so far this season.

86. Dexter S05/E03 & E04 (2010): Here we go. The storyline is starting to go somewhere. I'm still a little unsure if I like how many different things are going on so far. I'm anxious to see how far this "Santa Muerta" cult plot goes. I also like the new plot introduced with the inclusion of Julia Stiles' (10 Things I Hate About You) character Lumen. Still confused on what Quinn's (Desmond Harrington) role is in this season. The writers seem to be unsure why his character is around.

DVDTalk "October Horror Movie Challenge"
2014 2013 2012 2011 2010 2009

Last edited by asianxcore; 11-04-10 at 06:34 PM.