Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

What's the best region free Blu Ray player to get?

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 09-05-10, 04:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not sure if this thread is fine here or should be in the HD forum. If this should be in the HD forum, then mods please feel free to move it there.

Anyway, Oppo, while they make great units, officially have stopped making region free players. I saw some sort of deal on some website I believe based in the UK to make their Blu Ray unit region free, but since I am based in the US it's just not an option.

Is there a Blu Ray player being sold anywhere that is region free and of high quality?

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-05-10, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 50 Posts
Re: What's the best region free Blu Ray player to get?

Probably not what you want to hear, but I'd buy an Oppo Blu-ray player and mod it with a kit that you can buy on ebay for about $40. The mod is actually quite easy to do so you shouldn't be scared off from going that route if you want to end up with an excellent Oppo player.
Old 09-06-10, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yes. I easily installed this mod, and I'm no techie. http://www.bluraychip.dk/product.php?id_product=10
Old 09-06-10, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'll 3rd that.....

Easy to do and it's a quality player.
Old 09-06-10, 01:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by The Running Man
Anyway, Oppo, while they make great units, officially have stopped making region free players. I saw some sort of deal on some website I believe based in the UK to make their Blu Ray unit region free, but since I am based in the US it's just not an option.
Thanks in advance.
Oppo has never made any region-free Blu-ray players. All of their BD-players has been modified to be region-free through third-party vendors such as CRT Projectors and the likes.
Old 09-06-10, 02:10 AM

Dane,
I didn't mean that they made region free Blu Rays. That's why I only wrote "region free players" as back with their DVD players they were.

To the others, how does the best Oppo Blu Ray player convert PAL to NTSC DVDs? Just as good as their best region free DVD players, better or worse? This way I can find out what to do with my Oppo DVD player.

Also, I haven't kept up with the HD content, but is there also PAL and NTSC video signals on Blu Ray or is it just one HD video signal (1080 i or p)?
Old 09-06-10, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 50 Posts

I also own an older highly-rated Oppo and the conversion from PAL to NTSC is just as good if not better with the newer Blu-ray model.

Yes, the high def content on Blu-ray is not beholden to PAL or NTSC. You would only have to switch zones for locked Blu-rays which are zone locked and the switching is mindlessly easy.
Old 09-07-10, 10:41 AM

Now shen zhen china have a lot of factory make free blu ray players now,but have not check the quality yet.
Old 09-08-10, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Dane,

Also, I haven't kept up with the HD content, but is there also PAL and NTSC video signals on Blu Ray or is it just one HD video signal (1080 i or p)?
Sometimes you will get PAL SD content along with 1080i/50 signals on Blu Ray but that's no problem with the Oppo.
Old 09-08-10, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Sorry to but in here, but I thought the Oppos could be made region-free with a firmware upgrade?
Old 09-09-10, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k
Sorry to but in here, but I thought the Oppos could be made region-free with a firmware upgrade?
Not anymore. I suppose if you never updated the firmware you could, but who would want that?
Old 09-29-10, 09:48 AM

Thanks for all the replies guys.

Was the Oppo BDP-83 considered the best Blu Ray player out there? Because I visited their website and it says they have "ceased production on this model". Al that's left is the special edition of that unit which is almost a grand. Not paying that much for a Blu Ray player.

Are there any other Blu Ray players as good as that Oppo player that is region free or can be made that way?

Also, was the the BDP-83 naturally made to convert PAL to NTSC? I wonder that because of what some have said here. Weird that it wasn't region free but it could convert PAL to NTSC.
Old 09-29-10, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The BDP83 has ceased production, but the followup BDP-93 will be out for the same price by the end of the year. It is basically an 83 that has added 3D and Netflix streaming.
Old 09-29-10, 07:31 PM

Thanks for the news BSTNFAN, but I wonder if this complicates the issue of making it region free. The device that was linked above was said to be for the 83, but with this new model I don't know if that means that I'd have to wait longer until another device can be made to make it region free or can the same one be used.
Old 09-30-10, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for the news BSTNFAN, but I wonder if this complicates the issue of making it region free. The device that was linked above was said to be for the 83, but with this new model I don't know if that means that I'd have to wait longer until another device can be made to make it region free or can the same one be used.
While I doubt the same one can be used, I'm confident that a mod for the 93 will be available fairly quickly after release.
Old 09-30-10, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 326 Likes on 198 Posts

Subquestion guys: Best Region Free BR player that is a multi disc changer (not a ginormos one just say 5 or so).