Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Fantastic Four - Reboot (2015, D: Trank) S: Teller, Jordan, Mara, Bell

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 09-01-09, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111...goryid=13&cs=1

Tt would seem that FOX's license for the property continues as long as it continues to make films - and as it's been a couple years since the last one, that window may be closing. Given Disney will no doubt yank the rights back as soon as they can, Fox isn't taking any chances.

Though Marvel Entertainment owns and finances properties like "Iron Man" and "Thor," Fox controls "Fantastic Four" in perpetuity -- as long as it continues making the films. Fox has the same arrangement on Marvel Comics properties "X-Men," "Daredevil" and "Silver Surfer." Marvel is a producer and financial participant through a licensing agreement.

Though the related Silver Surfer character soared in the "Fantastic Four" sequel, that iconic personality has remained a priority project for his own film at the studio.

Why is this happening? Rights retention is the best guess. Fox has a licensing agreement from Marvel and thus controls the "Fantastic Four" movie franchise in perpetuity - under the condition that it continues making the films. That motivation is not unheard of, a similar situation took place with 2002's "Queen of the Damned" which was greenlit to ensure Warner Bros. retained the film rights to Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles book series.
http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/150...tic-four-films

Let's hope it actually results in a good movie (unlike QoTD)
Old 09-01-09, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

re: Fantastic Four - Reboot (2015, D: Trank)

Let's hope anyone involved with the last two films stays away. Horrible decision to try and add comedic elements and completely disregard the character's origin stories. There are so many amazing villians in the FF universe that this film series could do really well in the hands of a good screenwriter.

Last edited by jeffbase34; 09-01-09 at 09:46 AM.
Old 09-01-09, 09:18 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

While the FF films definitely had their problems, a complete reboot at this point might do even more damage to the franchise. I definitely agree with getting Tim Story out of the picture and ignoring the story continuity of those films, but rebooting the cast might be a mistake. I don't think the cast was the problem (in fact I thought everybody but Alba was about ideal for their role, and even Alba wasn't terrible) and I'd imagine replacing them at this point would just confuse the general audience. I know The Incredible Hulk got away with it, but in that property the main draw is just a CGI creation anyway.
Old 09-01-09, 09:26 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Only problem with Alba is why cast a hot girl and then make her invisible?
Old 09-01-09, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Groucho
Only problem with Alba is why cast a hot girl and then make her invisible?
Because the scenes where she reappears without clothes are always fun to watch.

Its still better than casting hot actresses to be the voice of animated characters. That one makes no sense to me.
Old 09-01-09, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DRG
While the FF films definitely had their problems, a complete reboot at this point might do even more damage to the franchise. I definitely agree with getting Tim Story out of the picture and ignoring the story continuity of those films, but rebooting the cast might be a mistake. I don't think the cast was the problem (in fact I thought everybody but Alba was about ideal for their role, and even Alba wasn't terrible) and I'd imagine replacing them at this point would just confuse the general audience. I know The Incredible Hulk got away with it, but in that property the main draw is just a CGI creation anyway.
Chiklis and the kid that played the human torch were good. But I though Alba and the guy playing Mr Fantastic were equally terrible.
Old 09-01-09, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Keep the cast, but this time, come up with a good script. Sure, they could re-use Dr. Doom again, but make him a credible threat.

I guess this means Fox might also be preparing new X-Men and Daredevil films?

Last edited by Yavin; 09-01-09 at 09:41 AM.
Old 09-01-09, 09:42 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No offense but Alba can't act in unison with the other guys. She's just...off. Plus she's not anywhere near the credible and believably strong willed person that Sue is. I dunno. I think it needs a new cast now, new director, and new story.

JM Stracynski did a cool run with the FF, not to mention Mark Millar currently is doing a very "realistically believable" FF too.
Old 09-01-09, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Thrush
Chiklis and the kid that played the human torch were good. But I though Alba and the guy playing Mr Fantastic were equally terrible.
I agree. Chiklis was perfect for The Thing. Mr. Fantastic and Alba had zero chemistry and wooden acting skills. I cringe every time it comes to the part:

Victor - "Susan, let's not fight"

Susan - "No, lets"

Just rubs me as awful acting.
Old 09-01-09, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by Yavin
I guess this means Fox might also be preparing new X-Men and Daredevil films?
Wolverine counts as an X-Men Film (from my understanding, that's pretty much the reason why the title was "X-Men Origins: Wolverine", because they needed to make an "X-Men" film to retain the rights). So they just made one, and they're good for a while. I'm sure the Wolverine sequel which has already been greenlit will somehow count as well.
Old 09-01-09, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

Didn't find the first two movies as terrible as others but would welcome more movies.
Old 09-01-09, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I kind of figured this would be the case with the Disney deal. Chiklis and Evans were great in their roles, and I actually enjoyed the first 2 Fantastic Four movies. I'd prefer they not "reboot" and just move on with more stories.
Old 09-01-09, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 419 Likes on 286 Posts

Well it has begun. I'm sure suits were green lighting films like crazy after the Disney announcement. The Variety article mentions Spider-Man 4-6, Wolverine 2, X-Men sequel, and First Class, Deadpool, and Gambit. I bet Sony will push forward with Venom as well.

2/3rd of Marvel is locked in, if you think about it. Marvel is primarily Spider-Man, X-Men, and the Avengers.
Old 09-01-09, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

First two sucked, so they can only go up from here. Sounds like a good choice to me.
Old 09-01-09, 10:34 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by stingermck
Well it has begun. I'm sure suits were green lighting films like crazy after the Disney announcement. The Variety article mentions Spider-Man 4-6, Wolverine 2, X-Men sequel, and First Class, Deadpool, and Gambit. I bet Sony will push forward with Venom as well.

2/3rd of Marvel is locked in, if you think about it. Marvel is primarily Spider-Man, X-Men, and the Avengers.
Wow. That's way too many superhero movies.
Old 09-01-09, 10:51 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Will Deadpool still be made? I mean Reynolds is now the Green Lantern.
Old 09-01-09, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 370 Likes on 299 Posts

I've never been a comic book fan but I did see both FF4 movies -- and in a nutshell, they suck hard. Why in the world did they cast such a total pussy for the main character (the stretch guy) and then allude to Jessica Alba boning him??
Old 09-01-09, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,356 Likes on 921 Posts

because he was a brainy nerd in the comic books? and they were married in the comics.
Old 09-01-09, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I only liked Chiklis, but I didn't like the costume. I always felt he should be bigger and bulkier.

FOX will still find a way to "F" up FF. Marvel came away pretty good in the Disney deal considering there are all these key characters Disney can't have.
Old 09-01-09, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,748 Likes on 1,093 Posts

I generally liked the films and my only real beef was some of the silly humor outside of Ben and Johnny. Either way, I'll check out a reboot because I'm all for MORE Comic Films so I'll support the genre...even if they're Marvel.
Old 09-01-09, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 368 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by MBoyd
I only liked Chiklis, but I didn't like the costume. I always felt he should be bigger and bulkier.

FOX will still find a way to "F" up FF. Marvel came away pretty good in the Disney deal considering there are all these key characters Disney can't have.
They've already found a way. Akiva Goldsman is the producer of the reboot. How do you save a troubled property? Get the guy who handled Batman & Robin!
Old 09-01-09, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
They've already found a way. Akiva Goldsman is the producer of the reboot. How do you save a troubled property? Get the guy who handled Batman & Robin!

No joke, they want to reboot the franchise and they hire Goldsman who destroyed the original Batman franchise!

Way to go. Great decisions being made at Fox.

How bout' hiring a writer/director that will bring some energy/passion and quality to the project?

Naaaahhhhhhh......
Old 09-01-09, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 441 Likes on 249 Posts

I'm hoping there will be a TOTAL reboot as the first 2 films were really bad and extremely disappointing.
Old 09-01-09, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 598 Likes on 462 Posts

I didn't think the first two films were that bad. Yes, they can be vastly improved upon but they were far from terrible. Besides, FF was always a cheesy franchise. Remember the original comic book origin?
Old 09-01-09, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Get Bryan Singer.

He did great things with X-Men.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.