Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Best Buy Media Prices (August 15 - 21, 2010)

DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Old 08-12-10, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is this upcoming week's ad and current compiled coupon list:

Last edited by snausages; 08-15-10 at 09:54 PM.
Old 08-12-10, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: Best Buy Media Prices (August 15 - 21, 2010)

I really wanted to wait on Dexter but that exclusive bonus disc might make me bite on the BD. Thankfully I have a $10 RZ Certificate I can use towards it, and I might use one of the two $15 GCs I got from the Wanted/Serenity/Flash Gordon/Darkman deal also. I know all my money comes out of the same pot, but I like to trick myself and use GCs and RZ Certs towards things I normally wouldn't want to spend as much money on.
Old 08-12-10, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Kory
I really wanted to wait on Dexter but that exclusive bonus disc might make me bite on the BD. Thankfully I have a $10 RZ Certificate I can use towards it, and I might use one of the two $15 GCs I got from the Wanted/Serenity/Flash Gordon/Darkman deal also. I know all my money comes out of the same pot, but I like to trick myself and use GCs and RZ Certs towards things I normally wouldn't want to spend as much money on.
Same here. I know that during Black Friday it might be cheaper...but I have a GC left, there's a bonus disc, and it seems like Dexter doesn't go on sale as often as network shows...so I guess I just have to buy it now...

Just a heads up, if you're thinking of purchasing Dexter S4 & another upcoming TV Show release (or any 2), if you pre-order them both you get a $10 GC. I know, the sets usually don't have great prices on release day, but if you need the shows now, it's not a bad way to get $5 back no each in GC form. Link to offer
Old 08-12-10, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Thanks OP!
Old 08-12-10, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Once again, "Ouch!" Best Buy on your Blu-ray pricing.
Old 08-12-10, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Best Buy's not great every week, but they've at least had some very good sales this summer. They're better than people give them credit for, and certainly better than Target has been in a long time.
Old 08-13-10, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Damn, I really didn't want to spend $30 on Dexter, but that 40 minute bonus disc is so enticing. Will definitely get Friday Night Lights season 4 since it's only $19.99.
Old 08-13-10, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya
Damn, I really didn't want to spend $30 on Dexter, but that 40 minute bonus disc is so enticing. Will definitely get Friday Night Lights season 4 since it's only $19.99.
I'm getting the same 2... If you pre-order both online, you can get a $10 Gift Card. See my previous post if you didn't already! Not a bad price at all for FNL.
Old 08-17-10, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

im gonna prob get dexter season 4 and hope one week soon that one of the stores will have season 3 under 20 bucks
Old 08-17-10, 08:03 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

I picked up the Raw & Uncut Digital Copy Special Edition of Babylon A.D. for $6.99 (retails for $34.98, Best Buy's regular price was $19.99). I've read mixed reviews about this movie, seems like you either like it or hate it, I hope my wife & I like it. -kd5-
Old 08-17-10, 08:50 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Can anybody report what's on the Dexter bonus disc?
Old 08-17-10, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by wahlers
Can anybody report what's on the Dexter bonus disc?
According to the Best Buy website, it's Comic-Con footage. Which Comic-con and if it's makes up the entirety of the content on the disc, I don't know. I went with the Target bonus disc since it had a Paley Fest Q&A, which I always love. Sounds like it's the whole thing since it's over an hour long.
Old 08-17-10, 10:24 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I was just wondering what the other stuff on it was, since the description made it sound like the full 40 minutes was not just the ComicCon panel or whatever.

I doubt that it will be anything substantial or any deleted scenes, etc., but I just want to make sure before I give it a miss.
Old 08-17-10, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by wahlers
I was just wondering what the other stuff on it was, since the description made it sound like the full 40 minutes was not just the ComicCon panel or whatever.

I doubt that it will be anything substantial or any deleted scenes, etc., but I just want to make sure before I give it a miss.
Someone in the exclusives thread reported that the comic-con panel (the 2009 one, by the way) takes about almost 40 minutes. It read like it was just the comic-con panel on the disc.

He also said the Target disc was this year's Paley Fest panel and clocks in at over an hour.
Old 08-17-10, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by BrandonJF
Someone in the exclusives thread reported that the comic-con panel (the 2009 one, by the way) takes about almost 40 minutes. It read like it was just the comic-con panel on the disc.

He also said the Target disc was this year's Paley Fest panel and clocks in at over an hour.
If anyone is making a choice I would recommend the Target bonus disc over the Best Buy one. After having watched both, the Paley Fest discussion is much more rewarding for those who are wanting to get some insight into season four as it was filmed AFTER it had aired. The Comic Con panel is very vague as it was filmed before Season Four had aired so most of the participants weren't allowed to say anything. The Comic Con video is also filmed with a digital camera in a matted widescreen and as such it is difficult to understand anyone involved as most people participating did not have microphones. The Paley fest video was much more professional as it is presented in 16x9 widescreen and all of the participants were easier to hear as they all had microphones... even the audience members who asked questions.
Old 08-18-10, 01:09 PM

^ Thanks. I went with the Target disc over the BB disc.
Old 08-18-10, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'm not sure which Best Buy thread to post this question in, so hopefully someone will see it here and reply even though it's not specifically on this week's media prices:

Can anyone confirm that Best Buy recently changed their policy allowing you to get refunds to your credit card for in-store returns bought via BestBuy.com (i.e. returning an in-store pickup item to the store)?

The reason I ask is I want to check if the clerk lied to me (as I expect) when he told me that he could only give me a store credit gift card for a return (within 30 days) of an in-store pickup item that I paid with my credit card. I have done this many times in the past and gotten it refunded to my credit card, but not this time. He even called up somebody in front of me who he claimed was the manager on duty who he claimed told him this was a recent (secret) policy change so I had to take store credit or mail it back to BestBuy.com.

If this really is a policy change, then I'm going to be much more wary of doing in-store pickup. It's hard (for me) to use up store credit or gift cards since Best Buy is usually overpriced for my cheapskate tastes.
Old 08-18-10, 11:41 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

I've always received a refund in the form of my original payment, been that way for years afaik, no changes. I suspect the clerk was misinformed.

But if you ever are stuck with a giftcard, by sure to check more than just the printed ads. I'm a huge cheapstake, and I think I buy more at BB than anywhere.
Old 08-19-10, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Trevor
I've always received a refund in the form of my original payment, been that way for years afaik, no changes. I suspect the clerk was misinformed.

But if you ever are stuck with a giftcard, by sure to check more than just the printed ads. I'm a huge cheapstake, and I think I buy more at BB than anywhere.
Right. The only time I buy anything from Best Buy is when they have specials (fairly rare) or typically a pricematch to Fry's (since most other retailers don't advertise any really good deals on anything). I posted because I wanted to know if the clerk was lying because next time I go to that store (even though I don't have his name because he wasn't wearing a nametag), I will take my receipt, talk to another manager, and if I find out he's wrong I will file a complaint against him just on the principle of it as I assume they can get his name off the employee ID from the receipt. I made a big deal about it and told him he had better be VERY sure that it's the new policy rather than he just doesn't know how to do it. I don't like getting stuck with store credit for completely legitimate returns of VISA transactions within the 30 day time window.

It would be helpful to hear from someone who has done a very recent return of an in-store pickup item.
Old 08-19-10, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 449 Likes on 307 Posts

Here is their policy:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Help-Top...at204400050025

Specifically:

Refunds for BestBuy.com Purchases
[...]
Refunds will be credited first to the original purchasing credit card or PayPal account, and then to any gift card or Pitch In™ Card that was used.
Old 08-19-10, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Never had any problems getting money back to my original form of payment from a in-store pickup. I can confirm that for a recent order that I had damage issues as long as it is within the 30-day return period or 45-day if you are a Reward Zone Silver member.