Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Big Nothing (Jean-Baptiste Andrea, 2006) Simon Pegg, David Schwimmer, Alice Eve

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 08-05-10, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I caught this film this week. I had never heard of it and it's really funny stuff. A jet black comedy that runs like a racehorse to the end. I really enjoyed it.

I read in the 'highly recommended' review here on DVDTalk that this film was a victim of some kind of studio nonsense and was not given a release, and quietly went straight to video. I guess that's why I had not heard of it. I've yet to see a less than positive review of it.

I would recommend checking it out.

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/uwLruD9jDtU&hl=en_US&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/uwLruD9jDtU&hl=en_US&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Old 08-05-10, 09:37 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: Big Nothing (Jean-Baptiste Andrea, 2006) Simon Pegg, David Schwimmer, Alice Eve

This is worth it just to hear Simon Pegg do a Canadian accent.

But seriously, it's actually a really funny movie that should have far more exposure.
Old 08-05-10, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Big Nothing (Jean-Baptiste Andrea, 2006) Simon Pegg, David Schwimmer, Alice Eve

/\ Agreed, it's a fun little movie.

FYI - I've often seen it at Big Lots for $3, in case anybody is interested in a blind buy
Old 08-05-10, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Based on the positive buzz I'll definitely pick it up for $3... though I loathe David Schwimmer.
Old 08-06-10, 05:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anything with Simon Pegg in it is worth seeing at least once. Not so much David Schwimmer though.
Old 08-06-10, 07:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

I rented this a while back just because of Simon Pegg and I loved it.
Old 08-06-10, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I remember thinking it was okay, but I wish the US DVD didn't suck. It has like 40 minutes of the dullest most boring interviews imaginable, whereas the UK DVD has a Andrea/Pegg/Schwimmer/Eve commentary if I remember correctly. One of these days (especially now that it should be mega-cheap), I'll import.
Old 08-06-10, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It looks entertaining. I had no idea Pegg could do such a good American accent. And I'll see anything with Alice Eve now!
Old 08-06-10, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I actually saw it a few years ago when it came to DVD here in the states as my friend, who now lives in Paris, would always rent non-mainstream, independent, and foreign titles from Blockbuster (he had a Netflix account too) and invite us over.

I knew it would be a dark comedy, but I didn't expect how dark the final product would be and I think that's the reason why I initially liked it so much after my first viewing. Haven't seen it since, but I would definitely recommend it to others who haven't seen it. $3 at Big Lots isn't bad, considering my friend probably paid more to rent it from Blockbuster.
Old 08-06-10, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I really liked it. It gets the ball rolling and just kicks out the jams on a mad descent in to the blackest of black comedy.

Wild plot twists left and right and it just keeps steamrolling ahead without a pause.
Old 08-06-10, 04:05 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by toddly6666
It looks entertaining. I had no idea Pegg could do such a good American accent. And I'll see anything with Alice Eve now!
Canadian accent.