Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives
Reload this Page >

Coppola or Kubrick?

Community
Search
Archives Old posts on the forum. They go here to rest in peace.
View Poll Results: Whose work do you prefer?
Francis Ford Coppola
32.32%
Stanley Kubrick
67.68%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Coppola or Kubrick?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-10, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts
Re: Coppola or Kubrick?

Originally Posted by The Ferret
As seems to be the consensus, Kubrick's body of work is overall more impressive. But I would take the two Godfather's and Apocalypse Now over any three Kubrick movies.
If I were taking Movies 101, I'd expect to encounter the three Coppola films you cited. But Kubrick would be a higher level, specialized course all its own.
Old 08-02-10, 08:33 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I would take 2001: A Space Odyssey over any 10 Coppola films. Throw in A Clockwork Orange and Barry Lyndon and it's over.
Old 08-02-10, 08:46 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
I would take 2001: A Space Odyssey over any 10 Coppola films. Throw in A Clockwork Orange and Barry Lyndon and it's over.
Same here...and hell for a popcorn piece cuz it's so enjoyable..get FMJ. Which in itself is probably the easiest to get into for SK.
Old 08-02-10, 09:49 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Coppola for me. He's one of my absolute favorite directors. And The Godfather films are actually a little futher down my list of Coppola faves than one might assume. The Conversation is a fantastic little film. As is Peggy Sue Got Married. One From The Heart, while a mess, is a visual tour-de-force. Apocalypse Now is my fave of all, I reckon. Even Francis' more recent work like The Rainmaker I find very rewarding.

I have to be honest, and I hope you don't take my badge away from me for this, but I am not that big a fan of Kubrick. Sure, I dig The Shining and 2001 and Dr. Stangelove but I don't get much enjoyment out of many of his films. I respect the craftmanship behind them, but they seem to be speaking a different language than mine. My loss, I know.
Old 08-02-10, 09:56 PM
En vacance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well when i picked it is was basically on his 50s/60s output. Don't really care for what he did afterward (i utterly love the Vietnam part of FMJ though go figure).

Also i do like Coppola, Scorsese isn't even in his league.
Old 08-02-10, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Buck
I have to be honest, and I hope you don't take my badge away from me for this, but I am not that big a fan of Kubrick.
Don't be so timid; you're entitled to express your opinion in an online forum. (Unless, of course, you live in China.) And I for one can definitely respect an opinion backed up as thoughtfully as yours:

Sure, I dig The Shining and 2001 and Dr. Stangelove but I don't get much enjoyment out of many of his films. I respect the craftmanship behind them, but they seem to be speaking a different language than mine. My loss, I know.
That's a more articulate reason for not picking a director than I've read in most of the other threads--for, or against someone. There's nothing wrong with an artist's work leaving you cold. I'll never understand the appeal of The Beatles or Monty Python.

Spoiler:
All that said, of course, since you didn't pick the guy who directed Eyes Wide Shut, you're wrong.
Old 08-02-10, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Kubrick. He's one of my all time favorite film-makers. I never lose interest in his work, and have watched almost all of his films several times over on various formats over the years. My Stanley Kubrick Archives book is a prized part of my collection.

Anyway, Coppola has made some great movies, but some ones I don't care for too much as well.
Old 08-02-10, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OP here, although I too picked Kubrick (my favorite filmmaker) I'm quite surprised to see his utter domination here.

My thinking was that the strength of Coppola's Godfather films (well the first 2 anyway), The Conversation, Apocalypse Now and a few other quality films in his filmography would be enough to go toe to toe with the master.

Boy was I wrong.

This is the biggest landslide yet in the director face-offs.