Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Actors who turned down great roles...

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 07-29-10, 04:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Delete

Last edited by Jose Dromedary; 03-24-11 at 01:45 PM.
Old 07-29-10, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2019 TOTY Winner

Received 160 Likes on 122 Posts
Re: Actors who turned down great roles...

4. Alec Baldwin turned down the role of Richard Kimball in The Fugitive. The part went to Harrison Ford.

thank God!!!!!!

I like Alec Baldwin but it wouldn't be near as good with Harrison Ford in that role
Old 07-29-10, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm glad Marky Mark got Boogie Nights instead of Leo.

Last edited by islandclaws; 07-29-10 at 05:08 PM.
Old 07-29-10, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by Canadian Bacon
4. Alec Baldwin turned down the role of Richard Kimball in The Fugitive. The part went to Harrison Ford.

thank God!!!!!!

I like Alec Baldwin but it wouldn't be near as good with Harrison Ford in that role
I don't know, I could see him making it work too. I can certainly think of worse. And wow, not one actor in Hollywood wanted to be in "Close Encounters" it seems. That's pretty shocking. Spielberg coming off the success of "Jaws". You'd think everyone would be lined up around the block!
Old 07-29-10, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

Russell Crowe turned down the role of Wolverine in the X-Men movie. The part eventually went to Hugh Jackman.
Dougray Scott had the part, but Mi2's extended schedule (And Scott's decision to do some of his own stunts) caused it to go to Jackman.
Old 07-29-10, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

According to the imdb, Michael Madsen had already committed to Wyatt Earp and couldnt get out to do Pulp Fiction.

Bill Murray had also turned down Forrest Gump and Dave Chappelle turned down the role of Bubba.
Old 07-29-10, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Warren Beatty was the first actor to come to mind. Didn't he also turn down the Carradine role in Kill Bill? George Raft turned down High Sierra, Maltese Falcon, Casablanca and Double Indemnity.
Old 07-29-10, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

None of these lists take into account changes in director's or massive rewrites of scripts that happened as actors drop off of films.
Old 07-29-10, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
I'm glad Marky Mark got Boogie Nights instead of Leo.
Agreed. Wahlberg was absolutely note-perfect, because he was basically playing himself - an egotistical, untalented, and irony-free alpha male. There were definitely scenes in which it felt like Wahlberg wasn't in on the joke, his tearful confrontation with his mother in particular. His dialog and performance in that sequence had me in stitches, but he was obviously playing it completely straight. DiCaprio would have been all wrong.
Old 07-29-10, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On Connery turning down LOTR, I remember him saying that he turned it down because he didn't 'get it'. He also turned down the role of Morpheus in The Matrix for the same reason. He was then offered Quatermain in 'League of Extraordinary Gentlemen'. He didn't get that one either he said, but took it anyway since the other 2 movies were such big hits.
Old 07-29-10, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,191 Likes on 2,059 Posts

Here's kind of a cool little site:
www.notstarring.com

I'm sure a lot of these actor's names were just thrown out in very early pre-production meetings and were never seriously considered but it's still kind of cool none-the-less.

Last edited by GoldenJCJ; 07-29-10 at 05:41 PM.
Old 07-29-10, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Canadian Bacon

thank God!!!!!!

Baldwin can act circles around Ford. I think Baldwin could've pulled it off.
Old 07-29-10, 05:53 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Some of these are weird:
Denzel Washington – Turned down the role of Curtis in “Dreamgirls”, the lead in “I Robot”, and it’s rumored he turned down the role of “Ray Charles” in Ray.
I would call those all good decisions on his part.
Old 07-29-10, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
Dougray Scott had the part, but Mi2's extended schedule (And Scott's decision to do some of his own stunts) caused it to go to Jackman.
I think before Dougray Scott had it, Crowe was offered it but turned it down.
Old 07-29-10, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

"1. David Boreanaz turned down the role of Batman in Batman Begins. The part went to Christian Bale."

Half true, Boreanaz was never offered the part to turn down. He probably would not have turned it down. He was WB's top pick along with ASHTON KUTCHER! Nolan wanted Bale. Around this same time the names were leaked to the net and the fans YELLED AND SCREAMED for Bale. WB went with Nolan's choice, smart choice.
Old 07-29-10, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts

Christopher Lee turned down role of Dr. No
Edward G. Robinson dropped out of Planet Of The Apes, don't know why
Old 07-29-10, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by ScissorPuppy
He was WB's top pick along with ASHTON KUTCHER!
Wow, the mind boggles. I can only begin to imagine the absolute absurdity of a Kutcher Batman.
Old 07-29-10, 06:04 PM

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by CharlieK
On Connery turning down LOTR, I remember him saying that he turned it down because he didn't 'get it'. He also turned down the role of Morpheus in The Matrix for the same reason. He was then offered Quatermain in 'League of Extraordinary Gentlemen'. He didn't get that one either he said, but took it anyway since the other 2 movies were such big hits.
Speaking of LOTR, I'm surprised they didn't mention Stuart Townsend who was originally cast as Aragorn and then replaced by Viggo Mortensen.
Old 07-29-10, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Steve McQueen turned down the role of Captain Benjamin Willard in Apocalypse Now. The part went to Martin Sheen.
http://www.alternativereel.com/inclu...w.php?id=00004

"Saigon . . . shit, I'm still only in Saigon . . . " Steve McQueen, Al Pacino, James Caan, Jack Nicholson and Robert Redford all turned down the part of Captain Willard. Director Francis Ford Coppola fired Harvey Keitel after only one week of filming and replaced him with Martin Sheen as Willard. In March 1977, 35-year-old Sheen suffered a massive heart attack. He returned to the set on April 19 and managed to finish the film.
Old 07-29-10, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by rw2516
Christopher Lee turned down role of Dr. No
Edward G. Robinson dropped out of Planet Of The Apes, don't know why
Robinson couldn't go through with the continuous makeup process.

Speaking of Chris Lee, he later said that turning down the role of Dr. Loomis in Halloween was the biggest regret of his career.
Old 07-29-10, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

" 1. David Boreanaz turned down the role of Batman in Batman Begins. The part went to Christian Bale."

What? Wait...what?

Mind. Blown.
Old 07-29-10, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

LMAO Ashton Kutcher as Batman in Batman Begins!?!? Bahahahaha. Also the David Boreanaz which was later proved not to be true. Thank the Lord that Christian Bale ended up in this role.
Old 07-29-10, 08:46 PM
Needs to Contact Admin about multiple accounts

John Travolta turned down the Richard Gere roles in 'An Officer And A Gentleman' and 'An America Gigalo'.
Old 07-29-10, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by ScissorPuppy
"1. David Boreanaz turned down the role of Batman in Batman Begins. The part went to Christian Bale."

Half true, Boreanaz was never offered the part to turn down. He probably would not have turned it down. He was WB's top pick along with ASHTON KUTCHER! Nolan wanted Bale. Around this same time the names were leaked to the net and the fans YELLED AND SCREAMED for Bale. WB went with Nolan's choice, smart choice.
Originally Posted by boredsilly
" 1. David Boreanaz turned down the role of Batman in Batman Begins. The part went to Christian Bale."

What? Wait...what?

Mind. Blown.

Originally Posted by SuprVgeta
LMAO Ashton Kutcher as Batman in Batman Begins!?!? Bahahahaha. Also the David Boreanaz which was later proved not to be true. Thank the Lord that Christian Bale ended up in this role.

David Boreanaz was simply one of many names on a list, just as he was on a list of potentials for Superman Returns.

He would indeed have turned it down because he couldn't have done it while starring on "ANGEL", which was still in production while both Batman and Superman films were in production/pre-production.

I bet if he did end up starring as Batman, no one would have complained about his voice, since he's used a darker, menacing voice as Angel from time to time and it was never cheesy. An Irish accent however....
Old 07-29-10, 08:59 PM
Suspended

Harrison Ford's turned down a few good ones: the Michael Douglas role in Traffic, Nick Nolte's role in The Thin Red Line, Morgan Freeman's role in Se7en.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.