Reload this Page >

Heroes - Henry Winkler Song Replaced?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 06-24-08, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm trying to find out if Kansas' Carry On Wayward Son was licensed or replaced on the DVD release of Heroes with Henry Winkler, Sally Field & Harrison Ford released today 6/24. It is played over the final seconds & end credits of the film. The VHS release it was replaced. I don't want to purchase it if it has been replaced.
Old 06-24-08, 08:42 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Old 06-24-08, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's one tiny, tiny fake guitar.
Old 06-25-08, 07:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 371 Likes on 265 Posts
If the Strangers with Candy TV show could get it, I would assume this movie could. But I could be wrong.
Old 06-25-08, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Groucho

Such a great episode.
Old 06-25-08, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by majorjoe23
If the Strangers with Candy TV show could get it, I would assume this movie could. But I could be wrong.
and Guitar Hero and an episode of South Park.

Can't be that expensive to license if they got it.
Old 06-25-08, 08:08 PM

But this is MCA, and they are cheapos! (NIGHTHAWKS, ELECTRIC HORSEMAN was still the same)
Old 06-25-08, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Don't forget Where the Buffalo Roam...
Old 06-25-08, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by prince_of_saturn
But this is MCA, and they are cheapos! (NIGHTHAWKS, ELECTRIC HORSEMAN was still the same)
What was omitted in Nighthawks? I have the goodtimes P&S version, and wonder if its changed vs Universal's.
Old 06-25-08, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by hasslein
What was omitted in Nighthawks? I have the goodtimes P&S version, and wonder if its changed vs Universal's.
Universal version took out tunes like BROWN SUGER, IM A MAN, SLOW RIDE, etc, while the Goodtimes one has those tunes intact.
Old 06-25-08, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just got confirmation. An Amazon customer rented it from netfix, and the song has been replaced. Unfortunate. I don't think anyone that likes the movie will purchase it. I know I won't.
Old 06-25-08, 11:20 PM

On a side note, this same exact song is kept on the SUPERNATURAL tv series DVD set(s) when played during the season finale RECAP(s).
Old 06-26-08, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Dude, they use that song for pretty much every "Previously on..." recap in the season finale of every Supernatural....
Old 06-26-08, 10:11 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Are there any other songs cut from this film? Where in the film does it normally appear?

Such a shame... people think they just do this for TV DVDs but catalog titles are at risk, too.
Old 06-26-08, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It's not just randomly in the movie, It's the CLIMAX of the film. That's why its so infuriating! Read the reviews on amazon, and everyone who has seen the original version of the film states how much the change ruins the whole experience. Unfortunately, its not that popular of a title, so we're stuck with this version. I'm going to write Universal, and if it ever makes its way to Blu-Ray hopefully they will fork over the dough.
Old 06-27-08, 09:17 AM

Man, that sucks.

I'm going to Netflix this and then watch the original ending which can be found on YouTube.
Old 06-27-08, 09:35 AM

The song was also featured in the tv-spots for the film when it was first theatrically released. If there was ever a signature song for a film, this would be it.
Old 06-27-08, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

AMC stills shows it with the song intact. To my knowledge, other channels usually don't.
Old 06-27-08, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Here is a link to Universal customer service, if you wish to write to them and express your feelings on this matter.

http://www.universalstudios.com/cont...hp?email_id=10
Old 06-27-08, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by prince_of_saturn
Universal version took out tunes like BROWN SUGER, IM A MAN, SLOW RIDE, etc, while the Goodtimes one has those tunes intact.
"Slow Ride" by Foghat is definitely in my Universal copy of Nighthawks during a scene at the nightclub Stallone follows Rutger Hauer in.
Old 06-27-08, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by Zen Peckinpah
"Slow Ride" by Foghat is definitely in my Universal copy of Nighthawks during a scene at the nightclub Stallone follows Rutger Hauer in.
My bad, but the other tunes are gone.
Old 06-27-08, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Universal is the worse when it comes to replacing songs.
Old 06-28-08, 07:08 PM

Well, I just watched the film which I rented from Netflix.

What a great film, but what a crime committed by Universal in ruining the ending. The song on the DVD is absolutely horrible.

I sent a note to Universal but I don't expect a reply. I've never had any luck with them in the past.
Old 06-28-08, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
Universal is the worse when it comes to replacing songs.
You have to wonder why they even released this film to begin with. Isn't there a popular tv-show called "HEROES" right now? I bet some Universal nitwit saw that they owned an "old" film in their catalog with the same title and it would be easy to cash-in on the name appeal. Ya, brilliant!

I also question if they just pulled this version off the shelf because it was the one that was handy and remastered it without even knowing that they changed the song for the video release 20 years ago. Obviously, the Kansas song can't be very expensive these days if all those other shows have been using it.

I would have picked this DVD up and was waiting to hear if the song had been reinstated, but I won't buy it now. When they announced this DVD release months ago, the first thing that came into my head was "they better put back the Kansas song." I'm pretty sure they'll lose a lot of sales to the target audience for this one as fans of the film are quite aware of this song being taken out in the past and a lot will pass on it after finding out it's a botched release. Someone needs to write an Amazon review and warn prospective buyers. If Universal doesn't want to spend any money on their product, why should we?
Old 06-28-08, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by skywalker8
Man, that sucks.

I'm going to Netflix this and then watch the original ending which can be found on YouTube.
Well the only problem is the one on you tube is NOT the original ending. All someone did was put the song over the end credit of the rescored one.

The original one vividly gave Kansas' tune a billing right before the cast credit rolled, also the song was edited so it fit with the very end of the film, this version just fades.

JSYK.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.