Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Punch Drunk Love (spoilers)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 11-02-02, 11:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, I did a search, and the interpretations were blacked out and I have to know some stuff.
I saw this movie for the first time tonight.
What was up with the SUV rolling over in the beginning?
What did the piano have to do with anything?
Why did the bad guys let him go so easily?
Why did he not want to meet the girl?
What was his sisters problem?
What was his (mental)problem?

I guess it was a pretty good movie, but very werid.
Old 11-03-02, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Punch Drunk Love (spoilers)

Originally posted by josuff247
OK, I did a search, and the interpretations were blacked out and I have to know some stuff.
Triple-click to read spoiler tags.

I saw this movie for the first time tonight.
What was up with the SUV rolling over in the beginning?
What did the piano have to do with anything?
Good interpretation in the other thread.

Why did the bad guys let him go so easily?
Not sure what you mean. Can you be more specific?

For the rest of your comments, there really isn't any symbolism or anything to interpret. It was all there on the screen. Pretty much face value stuff.

Why did he not want to meet the girl?
Because he is very shy.

What was his sisters problem?
Why do people act cruel? Beats me. When they grew up with seven sisters and one brother, they probably tormented him from the beginning and people become set in their ways.

What was his (mental)problem?
Very shy, can't express himself, can't release his emotions, doesn't have anyone he can relate to or really talk to.
Old 11-03-02, 09:34 AM

Ok, It seems like he has a mental disorder, because he always seems calm and then he becomes explosive when someone calls him gayboy.

With the badguys, I mean they apparently have him by the balls and they just let him go because he stood up for himself. I think reall life gangsters would not stand for that, and just take that as more fuel for the fire.

Also what was up with all the colors he was always seeing
Old 11-03-02, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

They aren't going after him because they are evil, they want to extort money. What they are doing is illegal, so it would be easy for him to make them stop. They just go after pushovers and people who are easily intimidated. These are just small time bullies. If he puts up a fight, they will move on to easier targets.
Old 11-03-02, 02:34 PM
Suspended

I think you misunderstood much of this film...

It's the type that demands multiple viewings.
Old 11-03-02, 07:52 PM

Where ya goin'? We already know where you live!
Old 11-05-02, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow.. I saw this film tonight, Man did I dislike it. the music, or should I say noise just got to me. the lack of any real story or should I say Interesting story was just to much for me. I tried to like the guy but it just wouldn't happen. He had no real redeeming qualities. He was just like a big retard. Yes, yes I understand most of the metaphors and the references to things but the problem I see is they really don't mean anything unless you get me involved into the character. You can't make me feel for the guy if I can't understand were he is coming from.

Sure he was pushed around by his sisters and has this condition but it doesn't lead to anywhere. By the end of the film he is no better then where he started, Only now he's getting laid.

I wasn't expecting a typical sandler flick so don't blame that. Infact I was hoping it would be the total opposite of any sandler flick and I atleast got him acting different but man, I just didn't care for the so-called story which in itself could have been pieced together on there own to make up a different story.

Who knows, maybe if PTA actually shot for a longer film and developed the characters or presented them in a better light to actually develope them, maybe I would have liked it more.

Biggest compliant. The noise. Why did there need to be all the freak'n random noise? to bring us into his world of choas and distruction? give me a story to work with before you try to make me feel like I'm the character.

I hated it. Hated hated hated it.

I think you misunderstood much of this film...

It's the type that demands multiple viewings.

No thanks, I think I'll wait intill I'm stuck in hell to rewatch it as I'm sure it will be my punishment cycling endlessly as I sit in a chair begging for it to stop..
Old 11-05-02, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

As big a fan of PT Anderson's other work that I am, I didnt' find myself enjoying sitting through this film. Strangely, I do enjoy reading the many meanings/interpretations of the plot. I just wouldn't want to sit through it again.

Here's something pretty interesting I found on IMDB's trivia though:
The film was inspired by an article in 'Time' magazine about David Phillips, a University of California civil engineer who stumbled upon a lucrative frequent-flyer promotion. By purchasing 12,150 cups of Healthy Choice pudding for just $3,000, he accumulated 1.25 million air-miles.
!
Old 11-06-02, 02:39 PM

My friend *insists* that the random noise in one scene is
Spoiler:

the pudding talking to Barry! And I believe my friend - you know how sometimes the noise seems like there's words just underneath? My friend says in the scene where Barry is talking to Luis Guzman and then he stops to go look at the pudding and says he needs more, and then they go to the store... that the thing that causes Barry to go look at the pudding is that it says, "Barry, come here."

Crazy, huh?

I been meaning to watch it again, and it's actually showing at a crappy theater here in my town, so I could maybe go tonight. Or drive a little further to a nicer theater...
Old 11-06-02, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That's pretty funny. I'm going to look for that next time I see the movie (planning on seeing it again this week).

To say it again:

Best movie so far this year, and the best of Anderson's career. This is not an "interlude" but an exceptionally original film that is a complete departure from what he has previously done, and it is a welcome one at that. I am so excited to see his next work because I have absolutely no idea what it will be like, except for the fact that it will be exquisitely crafted.
Old 11-06-02, 05:57 PM
Banned

SUV flipping out was a wake up call
Piano was a symbol of peace for him
His sisters were just stupid and thought they were better than him
He was very nervous to meet the girl...

the others, I give.
Old 11-09-02, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Still thinking about whether or not I think this is a good film. I very much liked Ebert's review, seemed to flesh out a few things for me. I think the main point to everything is the redemption that Lela brings Barry. It's a movie about extreme pain and the hope of healing, in the same vein as Magnolia.

Did everyone notice Sandler's knuckles after he punched the map in his office?
Spoiler:
The cuts on his knuckles spell out LOVE

I also liked the way PTA walked away from some standard film assumptions....no opening credits and the liberal use of silence especially. That along with the jarring collisions of the automobile accidents in the film kept me on my toes. In a way I wondered if this was how Barry percieved life...lots of silence punctuated by vicious acts of violence.

One thing different for PTA films is that Barry Egan is the only character focused. In all his previous films, he tries to get into the heads of multiple characters, but here it's all about Barry. I would have liked to learn more about Lela, though.

Now that I think about it, I must say that Punchdrunk Love is invasive and IMHO a very good film.
Old 06-22-10, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Puch Drunk Love Explained

After looking at the amazing montage of "Scorsese vs. Kubrick" that was posted here. I looked for Leandro Copperfield Youtube channel and i found this very interesting video explaining "Punch Drunk Love"

Do not watch if you haven't seen the movie as there is obvious spoilers

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/KMjbKNJEPco&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/KMjbKNJEPco&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>
Old 06-22-10, 03:08 PM

Received 134 Likes on 79 Posts
Re: Puch Drunk Love Explained

Well, that's seven and a half minutes of my life I'll never get back.
Old 06-22-10, 03:12 PM

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

PDL is one of my favorite movies ever. But this video is as wrong as all the people
Spoiler:
who still believe that the people on LOST were dead the entire time.

Barry is real, alive, and falls in love. That's the movie. PTA was just trying to make a magical neo-French film that was less heavy and more whimsical then his previous two. I love film criticism when it is good and there is fact behind it (like Ebert's Citizen Kane dvd commentary) but this thing was just grasping at straws in every way.

I don't think sun flares and white illuminations signify anything other than the fact that PTA is kinda an artsy fartsy movie director. Ugh.

Last edited by Supermallet; 06-22-10 at 05:16 PM.
Old 06-22-10, 03:14 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

You misspelled "Puck Drunk Love" in the subject header.

"Lord, what fools these mortals be!"
Old 06-22-10, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by Joe Camel
Please supply the cliff notes version. I'd rather waste 30 seconds reading the explanation than 7.5 minutes watching...
Barry is dead. Lena is an angel. "Explained" through broken English interstitials and half-assed clip editing.
Old 06-22-10, 03:27 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Is there ANY piece of literature or film that hasn't been interpreted by some psuedo-intellectual as "the main character is dead"?
Old 06-22-10, 03:30 PM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
You misspelled "Puck Drunk Love" in the subject header.

"Lord, what fools these mortals be!"
Dammit I don't think i have the proper rights to change it
Old 06-22-10, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by david12
RE: Lost(does that need a spoiler?)
Yes.
Old 06-22-10, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by david12
PDL is one of my favorite movies ever. But this video is as wrong as all the people
Spoiler:
who still believe that the people on LOST
Awesome. Thanks for ruining that for me. You need to spoilerize shit, seriously. If I would have known there as a spoiler for Lost in a thread that had nothing to do with it I wouldn't have clicked on it just like I avoid the Lost threads in tv talk.

Last edited by Supermallet; 06-22-10 at 05:16 PM.
Old 06-22-10, 04:45 PM

That isn't a spoiler.
Old 06-22-10, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by glassdragon
Awesome. Thanks for ruining that for me. You need to spoilerize shit, seriously. If I would have known there as a spoiler for Lost in a thread that had nothing to do with it I wouldn't have clicked on it just like I avoid the Lost threads in tv talk.
Awesome, same thing happened to me. I have yet to finish the final season so thanks for that.
Old 06-22-10, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by William Fuld
That isn't a spoiler.
Says who? Sounds like one to me.

What if I was one of those people who felt that way before the spoiler, or at least WOULD have without seeing that.

It's not like it's hard to type a spoiler tag honestly, and people need to start erring on the side of caution instead of posting it and then asking without the tags if it needs one. It takes 3 seconds to add the tags, that's what they are there for.

I've seen people get banned or warned for excessive spoilers so I think they are pretty serious about that here.

Last edited by glassdragon; 06-22-10 at 05:01 PM.
Old 06-22-10, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
Is there ANY piece of literature or film that hasn't been interpreted by some psuedo-intellectual as "the main character is dead"?
Caddyshack II?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.