Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Drake - Thank Me Later (06/15/2010)

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 06-02-10, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This leaked today. I know a lot of people have been anticipating this one. I'm digging it so far, but it's definitely not better than B.O.B.'s CD.

1. "Fireworks" (featuring Alicia Keys)
2. "Karaoke"
3. "The Resistance"
4. "Over"
5. "Show Me a Good Time"
6. "Up All Night" (featuring Nicki Minaj)
7. "Fancy" (featuring T.I. & Swizz Beatz)
8. "Shut It Down" (featuring The-Dream)
9. "Unforgettable" (featuring Young Jeezy)
10. "Light Up" (featuring Jay-Z)
11. "Miss Me" (featuring Lil Wayne)
12. "Cece's Interlude"
13. "Find Your Love"
14. "Thank Me Now"
Old 06-03-10, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Drake - Thank Me Later (06/15/2010)

Nowhere near as good as B.O.B.'s record - probably will take a few more listens, but some of this really sucks (mostly the slower tempo numbers - the uptempo ones seem fine).
Old 06-03-10, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Agreed. I've listened 3 times through and it's just not that good.
Old 06-03-10, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 306 Likes on 209 Posts

Not to pile on, but...

Although I haven't heard these new songs, everything I've heard from Drake on the radio has made me wonder why he apparently has such massive appeal. For the most part, his flow is annoying and his lyrics are uninspired. He just seems like a fabricated radio rap star du jour rather than a real talent. But I will admit there is something perhaps unintentionally entertaining about the wheelchair-bound guy from Degrassi having a rap career.

All that said, I recognize that maybe he's better than I'm giving him credit for and I just don't get it.
Old 06-04-10, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I do not see what the appeal is for Drake either. Im looking forward to the album though. It just cant live up to the hype. There hasnt been this much hype for a "new"(new to a major label) artist since 50 cent and maybe DMX and Canibus before that. There should be 10x the hype for a new Sean Price CD rather than this guy.

As for B.O.B. his album is great minus 2-3 songs. Great production. I love how each song sounds different, I love how half the album doesnt sound like hiphop if it wasnt for his rapping. As far as emceeing, B.O.B. is way below par and frankly Im amazed he has a record deal. "compared me to andre" Really, Andre? One of the greatest MC's of all time.
Old 06-04-10, 11:48 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, I don't think he's bad, but the hype was so sudden and huge that it feels manufactured... especially considering his origins.

Originally Posted by Jacoby Ellsbury
There hasnt been this much hype for a "new"(new to a major label) artist since 50 cent and maybe DMX and Canibus before that.
I'd add The Game to that list.
Old 06-04-10, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I do not see what the appeal is for Drake either. Im looking forward to the album though. It just cant live up to the hype. There hasnt been this much hype for a "new"(new to a major label) artist since 50 cent and maybe DMX and Canibus before that. There should be 10x the hype for a new Sean Price CD rather than this guy.

As for B.O.B. his album is great minus 2-3 songs. Great production. I love how each song sounds different, I love how half the album doesnt sound like hiphop if it wasnt for his rapping. As far as emceeing, B.O.B. is way below par and frankly Im amazed he has a record deal. "compared me to andre" Really, Andre? One of the greatest MC's of all time.
Not really, he's definitely at least above average.

He didn't compare himself to Andre, everybody else did that for him
Old 06-04-10, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 307 Likes on 229 Posts

There are too many collaborations on this album. I think it is a no no to have half of your songs backed by other artists on your debut album.
Old 06-04-10, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DRG
I'd add The Game to that list.
Talk about someone who I couldnt figure how they got a record deal.........
Old 06-04-10, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Game (he dropped the The) still glorifies all of the things NWA and Ice Cube, Snoop, Dre, and all of the other West Coast emcees that made gangsta rap popular. He's the only mainstream one that really does that as much as he does.. but his fallout with 50 Cent and his association with a lot of other rappers has helped raise him to star status. I've always liked him. so to each their own.

Drake to me isn't much of a rapper at all. He has had some good verses on some songs, but he's like T-Pain and Akon and belongs best as a featured artist - not a solo rhymer. The dude has an ego the size of the world and his interviews are really annoying. I haven't listened to Thank Me Later yet, but I'm sure I'll get around to it. This isn't an album I've been really anticipating either way.

Rest of the year has some good releases - Eminem, T.I., and Kanye just to name a few coming up. This is a small fish in an ocean compared to what is to come in terms of hip-hop over the next 6 months.
Old 06-05-10, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mcfly
Drake to me isn't much of a rapper at all. He has had some good verses on some songs, but he's like T-Pain and Akon and belongs best as a featured artist - not a solo rhymer. The dude has an ego the size of the world and his interviews are really annoying. I haven't listened to Thank Me Later yet, but I'm sure I'll get around to it. This isn't an album I've been really anticipating either way.

Rest of the year has some good releases - Eminem, T.I., and Kanye just to name a few coming up. This is a small fish in an ocean compared to what is to come in terms of hip-hop over the next 6 months.
Don't forget Lupe's Lasers, which hopefully comes out this year.

I liked Drake's mixtapes a lot. I think a lot of that was surprise on my part that wheelchair Jimmy could actually put together some decent tracks and had a solid flow. However, with more exposure the cracks in Drake's whole style have become a bit easier to see through. Don't get me wrong, I think his album is decent, definitely listenable, but ultimately forgettable. I listened to it twice at work, and I found myself growing tired of most of the songs already.

The thing with Drake is that while I thought he was going to try to put forth a project with some substance (which his mixtape hinted at), it all boils down to money, fame, and girls. He isn't the only person guilty of that, but when that's all you have, you've got to really back up the lack of substance with solid song structure. He rhymes fine, but he's pretty much 2 steps away from a punch line rapper, and firmly in the "spit slick shit" rapper camp. Couple that with the insistence on singing, and Drake ultimately turns into a rapper that isn't for me.

I might be coming off harsher than I mean, because I do think Drake is talented and makes decent music. It just doesn't have that special something that puts his contemporaries over the edge. He doesn't have the charisma of a TI (whom I wouldn't be surprised to see turn in the the next huge crossover star ala Will Smith if he can keep his shit together), the creativity of Kanye, or lyricism of a underground MC like J. Cole, Jay Electronica, or Saigon.

Last edited by boredsilly; 06-05-10 at 06:56 PM.
Old 06-05-10, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

B.O.B. is definitely an above average rapper. Check out his stuff that came before his album to solidify that claim.
Old 06-06-10, 04:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Tarantino
B.O.B. is definitely an above average rapper. Check out his stuff that came before his album to solidify that claim.
B.o.B. is a great rapper. He's been putting out good stuff for a couple of years.

KiD CuDi has his second album coming out in September as well. I loved Man on the Moon.
Old 06-06-10, 02:16 PM
Banned

B.O.B.'s album sucked. I listened to it and skipped every song on it.It's amazing what people call good music nowadays. Anyway I haven't listened to Thank Me Later but Drake's mixtapes 'Comeback Season' and 'So Far Gone' are very good so I hope Thank Me Later are on the level of his mixtapes.
Old 06-06-10, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by bootsy
B.O.B.'s album sucked. I listened to it and skipped every song on it.It's amazing what people call good music nowadays. Anyway I haven't listened to Thank Me Later but Drake's mixtapes 'Comeback Season' and 'So Far Gone' are very good so I hope Thank Me Later are on the level of his mixtapes.
If you're calling Drake better than B.o.B. then it's amazing what people like you call good music nowadays.
Old 06-06-10, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by bootsy
B.O.B.'s album sucked. I listened to it and skipped every song on it
If you skipped every song on it, you didn't LISTEN TO THE ALBUM - you heard a few snippets. Give the whole record a spin (and maybe open your mind up a bit instead).
Old 06-06-10, 05:50 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by mdc3000
If you skipped every song on it, you didn't LISTEN TO THE ALBUM - you heard a few snippets. Give the whole record a spin (and maybe open your mind up a bit instead).
Well, first of all I did LISTEN TO THE ALBUM and it's not good. I listen to about 2 minutes of every song which to me is too long. If a song isn't capturing me by that point then I am not feeling it. His songs sound very repetitive and like he was trying to copy Lupe and Kanye but much, much worse. It is not my kind of music. I love hip hop, I grew up on it and if this is what passes as good hip hop then I don't know what to say. This just sounded like some watered down crap. I wasn't feeling it at all. I even tried to listen to it again after first listening to it and it didn't get any better.,

Last edited by bootsy; 06-06-10 at 06:01 PM.
Old 06-06-10, 05:54 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by mcfly
If you're calling Drake better than B.o.B. then it's amazing what people like you call good music nowadays.
I think you'll find most people saying Drake is better than B.o.B. If you go to most hiphop message boards you'll get the same reaction I have to B.o.B. Not feeling at all. Nothing stood out to me when I listened to it. At this point I would probably say almost anybody is better than B.o.B. Drake is not the greatest or anything but his music is much better than B.o.B. and his flow is much better.
Old 06-07-10, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Im with you bootsy for the most part, but I do like BOB's album, I just think as an MC he sucks.

Drake's not that good and he is easily a better lyricist than B.O.B. He's got a good flow and has some decent punchlines and metaphors(similes).

BOB's album blows Drakes away though. Drake's album is a "LL Cool J lite" circa 1997-present type release. Kid Cudi beat B.O.B. to the emo-rap mainstream punch that B.O.B. dabbles in. B.O.B. was just fortunate to have great production on the majority of his songs. Other than airplanes his verses are all subpar.
BOB I can listen to that album all year long, Drake's album won't last the month.

I went back and listened to a couple of the B.O.B's older stuff. Still not impressed. Totally bites outkast's sound. The guy doesnt spit one complex rhyme scheme or any multisyllable rhymes on his bobby ray album. He's rapping poems. Go to ohhla.com check out his lyrics and tell me they don't belong in a book of poems. This isnt a good thing.

As for hiphop message boards, hiphop heads hate on anything that goes commercial, they hate on anyone that sells a lot of records. Hating is what they do. It has to be underground or they don't like it.
Old 06-07-10, 01:20 PM
Banned

Im with you bootsy for the most part, but I do like BOB's album, I just think as an MC he sucks.

Drake's not that good and he is easily a better lyricist than B.O.B. He's got a good flow and has some decent punchlines and metaphors(similes).

BOB's album blows Drakes away though. Drake's album is a "LL Cool J lite" circa 1997-present type release. Kid Cudi beat B.O.B. to the emo-rap mainstream punch that B.O.B. dabbles in. B.O.B. was just fortunate to have great production on the majority of his songs. Other than airplanes his verses are all subpar.
BOB I can listen to that album all year long, Drake's album won't last the month.

I went back and listened to a couple of the B.O.B's older stuff. Still not impressed. Totally bites outkast's sound. The guy doesnt spit one complex rhyme scheme or any multisyllable rhymes on his bobby ray album. He's rapping poems. Go to ohhla.com check out his lyrics and tell me they don't belong in a book of poems. This isnt a good thing.

As for hiphop message boards, hiphop heads hate on anything that goes commercial, they hate on anyone that sells a lot of records. Hating is what they do. It has to be underground or they don't like it.
Sometimes it just depends on the music they make and if they can flow and rap real good. People don't hate on Jay-Z, Em, Outkast, Dr. Dre, Nas, DMX for the most part and all of them went commercial. I think there are examples where hate played in going commercial 50 Cent, Ja Rule, etc were great before they blew up but in those cases neither showed they had the skills to impress anyone in the long run.
Old 06-07-10, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Wait........so BOB is repetitive but Drake isn't?

Ok then
Old 06-07-10, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't like either B.o.B or Drake's albums but I've heard good stuff from both of them. Drake has some decently clever lyrics, but his voice is kind of grating and his singing is terrible - someone earlier in the thread said it best - he's best served as a "featuring.." rapper. The B.O.B. album feels like a really watered down version of what his album should have been. I've said it before and at the risk of sounding like an old man, I'll say it again - I'm just not feeling most of today's rap music. There are a couple of newer artists that I like - Jeezy and Rick Ross put out solid albums even though they are no better than average emcees. Lupe is pretty great.
Old 06-07-10, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I actually like B.o.B's personality, but not so much his music. I listened to one of his mixtapes, and it was decent, but I just couldn't really groove to it.