Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

New Dead Weather Album "Sea of Cowards"...coming soon

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 03-17-10, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 182 Likes on 122 Posts

Not much info but the album is listed as "coming soon" on their website - nice creepy picture as well.

I do believe it is suppose to hit in May.

http://thedeadweather.com/index.html
Old 03-17-10, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: New Dead Weather Album "Sea of Cowards"...coming soon

Nice!
Old 03-17-10, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Good of place as any to post this Jack White tidbit:

Jay-Z and Jack White Record Together

Potentially exciting news from Jack White in the new issue of the UK GQ: he's recorded a song with Jay-Z. "We did a song together a few weeks ago. It was incredible," White told the magazine. "I played him something that I've been kicking around for a while and he immediately came out with words for it. It's unbelievable-sounding." No details on when and how the song might be released. It would be pretty cool if Jack rapped and Jay played guitar, but that seems unlikely. (via TwentyFour Bit)

Posted by Mark Richardson on March 17, 2010 at 11:10 a.m.

Old 03-17-10, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by auto
Good of place as any to post this Jack White tidbit:

Jay-Z and Jack White Record Together

Potentially exciting news from Jack White in the new issue of the UK GQ: he's recorded a song with Jay-Z. "We did a song together a few weeks ago. It was incredible," White told the magazine. "I played him something that I've been kicking around for a while and he immediately came out with words for it. It's unbelievable-sounding." No details on when and how the song might be released. It would be pretty cool if Jack rapped and Jay played guitar, but that seems unlikely. (via TwentyFour Bit)

Posted by Mark Richardson on March 17, 2010 at 11:10 a.m.

It is a joke.....right?
Old 03-17-10, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don't think so....you would think...

Old 03-23-10, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Stream the new single and it's b-side and watch the music video at Some Kind of Awesome
Old 03-24-10, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Cool....but no longer available - just this now:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/CHhhx7xDIts&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CHhhx7xDIts&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
Old 03-27-10, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Now up - great song:

<object width="873" height="525"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/otfKjhtS2jU&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999&hd=1&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/otfKjhtS2jU&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999&hd=1&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="873" height="525"></embed></object>
Old 03-29-10, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

oh awesome news, Jack White is one of my favorite artists working today I love anything he puts out.
Old 05-07-10, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ic-RpjzJUes&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ic-RpjzJUes&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/SRVkycu6VHk&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/SRVkycu6VHk&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ctSFZj_LdI0&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ctSFZj_LdI0&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>
Old 05-11-10, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Picked it up today - what a surprise - solid album, I think this White's most mature work to date.

For those going in thinking it's like their last album.....don't, it's much heavier and a little meaner.

Ok, No more replies from me until someone else posts.....too many me only posts here.
Old 05-11-10, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rival11
Picked it up today - what a surprise - solid album, I think this White's most mature work to date.
Solid album = yes. Most mature work to date = not even close. I would hardly use the word mature to describe it. I would, however use your next choice of descriptors.

For those going in thinking it's like their last album.....don't, it's much heavier and a little meaner.
It's definitely a damn site better than the last one, which I didn't care for at all. Best thing about it, more Jack White vocals. I was surprised that they put this album out so soon, when the last hasn't even been out a year already. But, it's changed my opinion about the band.
Old 05-13-10, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Rocketdog2000
Solid album = yes. Most mature work to date = not even close. I would hardly use the word mature to describe it. I would, however use your next choice of descriptors.

It's definitely a damn site better than the last one, which I didn't care for at all. Best thing about it, more Jack White vocals. I was surprised that they put this album out so soon, when the last hasn't even been out a year already. But, it's changed my opinion about the band.
Pitchfork Media said the album lacked details (but still gave it a high rating) many may say it's not his most mature album.....not only do I think the album is loaded with detail...I easily think it's his most mature to date.

I would like to know what you think his most focused work is...a lot of people tend to think it's Get Behind me Satan....no way (at least to me) that was the point where he was out of ideas.

There is too much filler on White Blood C(s)ells.

And I also feel both Raconteurs albums were left incomplete (but I may be a tad Biased as I don't really care for that band anymore).
Old 05-13-10, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I didn't like their first album at all, in fact I though it was pretty much crap. Surprisingly I'm really diggin' this album. I'd say there are at least four great songs on it.
Old 05-14-10, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Rival11
Pitchfork Media said the album lacked details (but still gave it a high rating) many may say it's not his most mature album.....not only do I think the album is loaded with detail...I easily think it's his most mature to date.

I would like to know what you think his most focused work is...a lot of people tend to think it's Get Behind me Satan....no way (at least to me) that was the point where he was out of ideas.

There is too much filler on White Blood C(s)ells.

And I also feel both Raconteurs albums were left incomplete (but I may be a tad Biased as I don't really care for that band anymore).
Don't know that I could give you that exact answer, I just know it isn't this. If pressed, I'd probably have to say Icky Thump, as that's likely the album out of all his output that I find the most consistent and enjoy the most.

In turn, I'd ask you what, exactly, is so "mature" about this album as opposed to any of his other work? Personally, I just don't hear anything that sets it above or beyond anything else he's done.

Last edited by Rocketdog2000; 05-14-10 at 11:32 AM.
Old 05-14-10, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

I think Consolers Of The Lonely is easily the best album Jack White has been involved with. As for White Stripes, I think Elephant and De Stijl are the best. The problem with the Stripes is that the 2-person formula has kinda reached it's limits and gotten stale. That's why his other stuff has been better as of late. It has a fuller and more well-rounded sound.

I kinda liken WS to They Might Be Giants. The 2-person stuff is good, but can only go for so long without having to make some advancements. As a result, TMBG's stuff got better when they added a full band. I wish WS would do the same, but since Jack White has other outlets with full bands, that's probably not likely.

Last edited by cdollaz; 05-14-10 at 01:34 PM.
Old 05-14-10, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I would think TWS would lose the magic if they added additional players. Just my feeling. I could go for one more LP with a throwback sound to the self-titled. Just crazy punk blues rock. I think they have that in them as a two piece.

As you said, he has a few bands to play with so it's really not an issue.