Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Comic Book Talk
Reload this Page >

For Sale: Action Comics #1 (Fine Condition) — Act Now!

Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Old 02-27-09, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Co-created by Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster, the comic book first appeared on newsstands for 10 cents a copy in June 1938.

Nearly 12 years later, a young boy on the West Coast found himself in a secondhand book store, where he persuaded his dad to loan him 35 cents to buy the comic book.

Until 1966, the owner forgot about the book, which was hidden in his mother's basement. Since then, he's been holding onto it, hoping to see it increase in value, Fishler said. He has not been disappointed.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/SHOWBIZ/book...ion/index.html

<hr>

I doubt my X-Force #1 will be worth that much in 50 years.
Old 02-27-09, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: For Sale: Action Comics #1 (Fine Condition) — Act Now!

Is CNN so misinformed that they refer to the book as "Superman and Friends"?
Old 02-28-09, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 593 Likes on 341 Posts

Originally Posted by The Bus
I doubt my X-Force #1 will be worth that much in 50 years.
Only one? I bought 7

Since I was a little kid I have dreamed of some day owning Action #1. Unless I win the lottery, it'll never happen. *sigh*
Old 02-28-09, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 276 Likes on 207 Posts

I'm holding out until they have at least a 9.4 on the market.
Old 03-15-09, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

So, $317,200. Must be nice.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...,3658649.story
Old 03-16-09, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Bronkster
It probably would have gone for a lot more if sold when the economy was better.
Old 02-22-10, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 419 Likes on 286 Posts

8.0 , $1 Million Dollars.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100222/...Blcm1hbnNjb20-

APNewsBreak: Superman's debut sells for $1M

NEW YORK – A rare copy of the first comic book featuring Superman has sold for $1 million, smashing a record set just last year.

The issue sold Monday morning is a 1938 edition of Action Comics No. 1, widely considered the Holy Grail of comic books. It features Superman lifting a car on its cover and originally cost 10 cents.

It was sold by a private seller to a private buyer, neither of whom released their names. The sale was conducted by the auction site ComicConnect.com.

The previous comic book record was set last year when $317,000 was paid for the same Action Comics No. 1 issue. This copy fetched a much higher price because it's in better condition.
Old 02-22-10, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 709 Likes on 517 Posts

I thought Nic Cage wasn't supposed to be spending like an idiot, besides, doesn't he have a few of these already?
Old 02-23-10, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 118 Likes on 65 Posts

I hate rich comic book fans... or more correctly, I envy them.
Old 02-23-10, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I wonder if it was Todd Mcfarlane who bought it. Either him or Chuck Rosinks from Mile High Comics.
I remember about 8 years ago the was a bigtime coin dealer who also sold high priced comics had a standing offer to buy a 9.4 cgc graded copy, if someone could find one that exists.
Old 03-30-10, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

NEW YORK (AFP) – Superman became the 1.5 million dollar man Monday, when a rare copy of the first comic to feature the superhero smashed all previous auction records for a comic book.

The 1938 copy of Action Comics, in which Superman debuted, easily bested the 1.075 million dollars record set at auction in February for a comic book giving Batman's first outing, online auctioneers ComicConnect.com said.

The same issue of Superman's Action Comics debut sold for one million dollars in February, but that was not in as good condition as the copy sold Monday, said ComicConnect.com.

Back in 1938 the Superman comic, boasting a cover picture of the red-caped hero lifting a green car, cost just 10 cents.

"This new record will be hard to break," said ComicConnect.com co-owner Vincent Zurzolo, "because this particular Action Comics Number One is literally the single most valuable comic book on the planet."

Incredibly, the comic book's existence was unknown for 50 years as it lay unnoticed tucked inside an old movie magazine, ComicConnect.com said.

"One minute, no one knew it existed. The next minute, everyone was dying to own it," Stepher Fishler, founder of ComicConnect said.
and from a poster on CBR:

In 1973, at a Con in Dallas, Texas, I watched as Harlan Ellison tried vainly to auction off a copy of Action #1 for $85. Eighty-five bucks, and nobody took it!
Old 04-09-10, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

When I'm rich (which should be any day now, if my horoscope is accurate) I'm going to buy two copies of ACTION COMICS #1 - one to bag and one to read.
Old 04-14-10, 03:45 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Lemmy
^ Very interesting about Ellison and his copy. I tried to convince my dad back in about 1975 or so that $200 for a minty-fresh copy of either Amazing Spider-Man #1 or Fantastic Four #1 was a steal (we had been offered both at around that price), and he wouldn't budge, whining about how "no comic book is worth a weeks' pay", etc, etc, lol.
My dad picked up a copy of Amazing Spider-Man #1 when he was a kid in the 60's. He's still got it somewhere, although he's never let me see it. I guess it will be mine one day.
Old 04-14-10, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DieselsDen
When I'm rich (which should be any day now, if my horoscope is accurate) I'm going to buy two copies of ACTION COMICS #1 - one to bag and one to read.
I would have to read it. Just very carefully. I read all my keys like Batman #6, Brave & the Bold #28, Showcase #22, etc
Old 04-14-10, 09:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lemmy
^ Very interesting about Ellison and his copy. I tried to convince my dad back in about 1975 or so that $200 for a minty-fresh copy of either Amazing Spider-Man #1 or Fantastic Four #1 was a steal (we had been offered both at around that price), and he wouldn't budge, whining about how "no comic book is worth a weeks' pay", etc, etc, lol.
I remember back in the 70's a comic book shop had an issue of Amazing Spiderman 1 for about $300, that was considered big money back then.

Back in 1976 Spiderman got a second series called Peter Parker the Spectacular Spiderman. I bought about 10 copies of issue #1, thinking this book would have the same value as Amazing Fantasy 15 or Amazing Spiderman 1, Boy was I wrong lol any day of the week ebay has about 50 - 100 issues for sale. Price for 9.8 is about $250-$400 but anything under that usually sells for $40-$100. The majority of issues that aren't CGC go for $10-$25 I guess a lot of kids had the same idea I had back in 76.

Last edited by Balboa1976; 04-14-10 at 09:58 PM.
Old 04-15-10, 03:39 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The reason a lot of these issues are rare is because they're the first appearance or first title for a new character, and it's hard to tell what will take off and what won't. Plus, back then, no one figured these comics would ever be worth anything, so finding issues that are in good condition are much, much harder.
Old 04-15-10, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

another factor was that a lot of comics were pulped during wwii.
Old 04-15-10, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Balboa1976
Back in 1976 Spiderman got a second series called Peter Parker the Spectacular Spiderman. I bought about 10 copies of issue #1, thinking this book would have the same value as Amazing Fantasy 15 or Amazing Spiderman 1, Boy was I wrong lol any day of the week ebay has about 50 - 100 issues for sale. Price for 9.8 is about $250-$400 but anything under that usually sells for $40-$100. The majority of issues that aren't CGC go for $10-$25 I guess a lot of kids had the same idea I had back in 76.
That was me, too! I also bought 10 issues of Shazam!

On a slightly more face-saving move, I assumed the first few issues of Swamp Thing (by Wrightson) might be worth some extra copies too. yay. Maybe I should CGC 'em.
Old 07-23-10, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Damn, another one!

http://www.comicspriceguide.com/blog...eclosure!.aspx

Superman Comic Saves Family From Foreclosure!
by Tom Gordon III

Three times over the last six months, an old, 10 cent comic book has sold for $1 million or more. And that has a whole bunch of people frantically rummaging through their attics and basements, treasure hunting.

However, the biggest recent find—in the basement of a home on the verge of foreclosure—wasn’t the result of a methodical hunt, but rather “a very happy accident,” says New York’s Stephen Fishler, co-owner of ComicConnect.com and Metropolis Collectibles, the world’s largest vintage comic book dealer.

Fishler and his business partner, Vincent Zurzolo, will be displaying their new find at Comic-Con in San Diego. They already brokered two of the three record-breaking sales, including the unprecedented $1.5 million sale of an Action Comic #1, the legendary comic that introduced Superman to the world. That particular copy was unearthed in true, buried-treasure style, hidden in a stack of old movie magazines.

The newly discovered comic is also an Action Comic #1, and it’s also in very good condition. But in this case, Superman really did save the day.

The comic was found by a couple facing eviction from the home that had been in their family since the 1950s. After her father passed away, his daughter and her family moved in. To pay off some business expenses, they took out a second mortgage, but once the recession hit, they couldn’t make the payments.

The bank began foreclosure proceedings, and tearfully, they started packing. When, low and behold, in the basement, they found some old comic books, including a well-preserved Action Comic #1. Online research led them to ComicConnect.com, and the rest is the stuff of fairy tales.

Although it hasn’t yet been graded, Fishler guarantees that the comic, to be auctioned after Comic-Con, will bring in more than enough to pay off the mortgage. (Of course, the bank didn’t believe this real-life fairytale until Fishler personally confirmed it. Now, the foreclosure is on hold.)
Old 07-31-10, 01:46 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
The reason a lot of these issues are rare is because they're the first appearance or first title for a new character, and it's hard to tell what will take off and what won't. Plus, back then, no one figured these comics would ever be worth anything, so finding issues that are in good condition are much, much harder.
Ha! My Alpha Flight #1 will be worth millions some day. You'll see.
Old 07-31-10, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

My 10 copies of Web of Spiderman #1 will be more than enough to retire on. Where are those $100 bills to light my cigar?
Old 08-03-10, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Web of Spiderman.