Reload this Page >

Best online comic book stores?

Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Old 04-12-10, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts

During the past week I ordered from Midtown Comics and Mycomicshop.com. Are there any other online e-tailers that have a large selection and fair prices?
Old 04-12-10, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Best online comic book stores?

You'll probably get better answers in the Comic Book forum
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/comic-book-talk-57/
Old 04-12-10, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,885 Likes on 1,455 Posts

DCBS comes highly recommended, though I use mailordercomics.com. Both give you heavy discounts on pretty much everything in the Previews catalog, but that means you have to order a couple months in advance (though you don't pay for the order until the month the items are supposed to ship). Shipping also cuts into the discount a bit, but you can choose to have it weekly, biweekly, or monthly shipping.

That's only for preorders, though. I think DCBS has some trade paperback store that has decent discounts, and I usually use Amazon for tpbs that I missed preordering. If you want instant gratification on the comics that came in this week, though, none of these are for you.
Old 04-12-10, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The one place already goofed up one of my orders but they are sending a comic that is of more value than the one I ordered.
Old 04-12-10, 11:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you looking for back issues? Both atomicavenue.com and comiccollectorlive.com have a lot of listings from individual sellers and stores, like an ebay but strictly comics. I've used both several times and have gotten some great bargains.
Old 04-13-10, 08:18 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 669 Likes on 448 Posts

I think we have a thread or two on this if you want to search.

I haven't bought for many years, but used to love Westfield. Used them for my monthly ordering for 15+ years.
Old 04-13-10, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts

I tried Tales Of Wonder last year. Their packaging was impeccable, but a few of the trades had some issues before they were packaged which I find it hard to believe they wouldn't have caught- the back cover on one was chewed pretty bad in one spot. I didn't complain or ask for replacements, but I haven't used them again. I was impressed with their packing and if they ever have a good sale on things I'm interested in I may give them another shot.

In February I placed my first orders with Things From Another World (tfaw.com). They had a progressive sale on a good selection of trades which was 70% at the time. About half the stuff I ordered was from their 'nick & dent' section which is normally 50% off, but was also at the 70% this time.
Good solid packing. The stuff that was supposed to be new was mint, and most of it was bagged and boarded. The nick & dent stuff ranged from books will several minor dings and/or tiny dog ears, to one book that had covers as beat up as could possibly be while still being intact. But it was a readable copy and it was 70% off. On the whole I was very satisfied with TFAW.

Although not a comic store per se, Bud's Art Books has a lot of cool stuff. I started using them in the early 80's and dropped off in the late 90's after getting a couple carelessly packed shipments with damaged books. They may have gotten better or worse but are worth a look in any case.

Last edited by Paul_SD; 04-13-10 at 09:38 AM.
Old 04-13-10, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/comic-book-...retailers.html <----link

I made this thread a while ago...it has some links and some feedback, but people stopped posting and i stopped updating, but there are some links...I buy mostly off of DCBS,things from another world, and x-world comics and have been really pleased...the last have sales a few times a year with like 50-90% off tpb, and DCBS has a selection every month that is 40-50% off that is cool...
Old 04-13-10, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Cathepsin
Are you looking for back issues? Both atomicavenue.com and comiccollectorlive.com have a lot of listings from individual sellers and stores, like an ebay but strictly comics. I've used both several times and have gotten some great bargains.
I'm looking for 1960-1965 Action Comics/Superman/Lois Lane and Jimmy Olsen comics.
Old 04-13-10, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul_SD
I tried Tales Of Wonder last year. Their packaging was impeccable, but a few of the trades had some issues before they were packaged which I find it hard to believe they wouldn't have caught- the back cover on one was chewed pretty bad in one spot. I didn't complain or ask for replacements, but I haven't used them again. I was impressed with their packing and if they ever have a good sale on things I'm interested in I may give them another shot.

In February I placed my first orders with Things From Another World (tfaw.com). They had a progressive sale on a good selection of trades which was 70% at the time. About half the stuff I ordered was from their 'nick & dent' section which is normally 50% off, but was also at the 70% this time.
Good solid packing. The stuff that was supposed to be new was mint, and most of it was bagged and boarded. The nick & dent stuff ranged from books will several minor dings and/or tiny dog ears, to one book that had covers as beat up as could possibly be while still being intact. But it was a readable copy and it was 70% off. On the whole I was very satisfied with TFAW.

Although not a comic store per se, Bud's Art Books has a lot of cool stuff. I started using them in the early 80's and dropped off in the late 90's after getting a couple carelessly packed shipments with damaged books. They may have gotten better or worse but are worth a look in any case.
I deal with TOW as a wholesaler so I can't speak to them so far as direct to the consumer...but they are good folks, and have added a lot of titles (Marvel, IDW) in the past few months. Might be worth looking at them again.

I'd also second you that Bud Plant just has straight up cool stuff. That's a catalog I enjoy looking through even when I don't intend to pick anything up--which of course is dangerous!
Old 04-13-10, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenWheels
I'd also second you that Bud Plant just has straight up cool stuff. That's a catalog I enjoy looking through even when I don't intend to pick anything up--which of course is dangerous!
The catalogs have always been a blast to flip through and I've saved most of them going back to the very first one I got in '82 which was printed on high quality slick paper. They make great bathroom reading material too.
I haven't gotten one in a long time, but wouldn't be surprised if he starts phasing these out and pushing the website exclusively. The printing, binding, shipping etc associated with a catalog is a huge drain on resources and addition to overhead. A website streamlines all this and in a niche, down market, seems the only practical solution to me.

I talked to one or a few of the guys at TOW several times over the phone over the months that my order was being consolidated (a lot of pre-orders spread out) and they always seemed pleasant and tried to accommodate me to a reasonable degree as I tried to keep modifying my order. For that reason I didn't make a big case out of the several books that came in less than perfect condition. I would be placing more orders all around if I didn't have such a huge backlog now. Most of the books I got in that order last year I still haven't got around to reading.
Old 04-14-10, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Paul_SD
The catalogs have always been a blast to flip through and I've saved most of them going back to the very first one I got in '82 which was printed on high quality slick paper. They make great bathroom reading material too.
I haven't gotten one in a long time, but wouldn't be surprised if he starts phasing these out and pushing the website exclusively. The printing, binding, shipping etc associated with a catalog is a huge drain on resources and addition to overhead. A website streamlines all this and in a niche, down market, seems the only practical solution to me.

I talked to one or a few of the guys at TOW several times over the phone over the months that my order was being consolidated (a lot of pre-orders spread out) and they always seemed pleasant and tried to accommodate me to a reasonable degree as I tried to keep modifying my order. For that reason I didn't make a big case out of the several books that came in less than perfect condition. I would be placing more orders all around if I didn't have such a huge backlog now. Most of the books I got in that order last year I still haven't got around to reading.
Haha they are a constant sight on the back of my throne as well!

You are 100% right about just about everything about how expensive catalogs are and Bud's is a beauty--glossy paper, full color, full size, nice layout, clearly an $$$ job. But who knows how much business he might lose going web only. I've worked at a catalog for about a decade now, and we have had a website for about the same period....it is maybe 5% of our business, and not for lack of trying. Some people just like catalogs (from my experience, particularly older people who just never got web saavy).

Then again, we are a little antiquated--we only accept checks!

Nice to know I am not the only one with an unread stack of tpbs btw.
Old 04-17-10, 05:19 PM
Defunct Account

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^You wouldn't happen to work for Edward R. Hamilton would you? When you said 'checks only' that's the first mail order place I thought of.
Old 04-18-10, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,676 Likes on 1,846 Posts

Originally Posted by John Sinnott
^You wouldn't happen to work for Edward R. Hamilton would you? When you said 'checks only' that's the first mail order place I thought of.

I think I might still be getting their catalogs.

There's a movie place... can't recall the name... that I ordered an out-of-print DVD from about ten years ago who still send me paper catalogs in the mail. All of their DVDs are at full retail price, and I wonder who the hell actually keeps that company in business.

Paper catalogs in the mail are just so... quaint.
Old 04-19-10, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by John Sinnott
I knew we were one of the few to still do this but I did not know it was THAT identifiable. I do indeed work there. Good deducing, lol.

Hope you guys all get the DVD catalog we do now....that's my baby (that is I do all the purchasing for it, etc.) and I do mean to toot my own horn when I say there are some good deals in there. /end-shameless-selfpromotion.