Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

LG 55LH40 - proper desktop resolution?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 10-06-09, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had quite a time with my new LG 55LH40 TV. It's wonderful looking, and I like the options it has (energy savings, etc.). Integrating it into my 64bit Vista machine that was previously hooked via DVI to a 32" HD tube and the receiver have given me interesting challenges over the past few days, most of which I seem to have resolved.

The newest wrinkle is that setting the desktop display to 1920×1080 at 60hz over HDMI I'm finding that it's not being recognized by the TV as the proper resolution. I'm getting a fully boxed in 50" display on the 55" screen with limited ratio options via the TV (only 4:3 and 16:9).

Any clues as to what I'm missing?
Old 10-06-09, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 130 Likes on 95 Posts
Re: LG 55LH40 - proper desktop resolution?

Check your tv manual. Often sets have limitations on what resolutions can be supported over certain input connections. You may also want to browse the net for applications that may let you customize your resolution output. Does your video card have software that allows you to assign a different displays/names?
Old 10-06-09, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The TV manual states 1920x1080. All the promotional materials and specs seem to indicate 1080p (Full HD) so it should support a non-interlaced option, but I did an experiment...

Switching between:
1920 by 1080, True Color (32 bit), 60 Hertz
and
1920 by 1080, True Color (32 bit), 30 Hertz (Interlaced)

I find that the interlaced option gives me the whole screen filled and the multiple Ratio options via the TV. This appears to be the supported display setting. Trying the non-interlaced 60hz version I get the windowboxing around the image and the limited Ratio options, which seems to me to indicate this is only a 1080i TV.
Old 10-06-09, 10:18 PM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts

You might try a VGA connection at that resolution if the set supports it. I've had situations where VGA displays the entire desktop where HDMI doesn't.
Old 04-09-10, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Late follow-up...

The VGA tip worked for me, thanks for that!

I have another question about this TV. I'm picky, and I notice a real problem with the up-converting that's happening. Shimmer haloes around moving figures against complex backgrounds. Any suggestions on minimizing this, or turning off the up-conversion?

I did a quick search through the online manual, and it looks like I'll try monkeying with the Edge Enhancer and TruMotion settings in 'Expert Picture Control'.

Last edited by CheapBastid; 04-09-10 at 04:22 PM.